Protected Tree removal – is it possible ?

PeterJe 8 September 2012 63

Due to changing family requirements I need to extend the family home, the only direction that I can go is in the path of a protected tree.

Moving isn’t really an option as I couldn’t afford to purchase back into the suburb and I am not about to move the kids away from their school or friends.

I have lodged a Tree Damaging activity form, but development is not one of the grounds for removal of a tree. I  tried negotiating, by agreeing to plant more trees elsewhere on the block but I have been advised that there is no leeway with the legislation. They have advised that the only path that I have is to lodge a development application.

I have had several meetings with ACTPLA but they seem to speak a different language. There doesn’t appear to be a clearly defined criteria on what you need to meet in order to get permission to remove a protected tree on development grounds.

The builders I have spoken to are also perplexed with how to successfully go about the process.

Could someone please give me some pointers on how you successfully get a protected tree removed on development grounds.

Is anyone aware of anyone that can I engage to act in the role of an advocate to assist me through this process?

What’s Your opinion?

63 Responses to
Protected Tree removal – is it possible ?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
Morgan 5:04 pm 08 Sep 12

Copper nails?

Sandman 5:10 pm 08 Sep 12

It’s pretty windy at the moment. If you know a guy with a truck and heavy chain then a good chunk of the tree could “blow” over.

Masquara 5:22 pm 08 Sep 12

Note that your post will be communicated to ACTPLA so they will put a watch on the tree!

troll-sniffer 5:54 pm 08 Sep 12

There are many and varied ways to have a tree start to die on you. However you have probably shot yourself in the foot by doing the right thing and discussing the matter with ACTPLA. Any change in the condition of the tree would now be viewed most very suspiciously and investigated.

That said, I don’t know what the water table is doing around Canberra these days, salt moves up and down in many areas and trees find it difficult to survive in salty ground.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 6:56 pm 08 Sep 12

Why is it protected? Over 15 metres?
Salts a good option.

What’s the fine for cutting it down yourself?

Antagonist 7:57 pm 08 Sep 12

Morgan said :

Copper nails?

+1. You won’t find them at Bunnings. Try Ebay. Big trees need big copper nails. They will need to be driven in somewhere difficult to see. Think below ground level or up very high.

Masquara 8:11 pm 08 Sep 12

Googlemapped and exact tree identified – your neighbours will be warned as well. No doubt they will keep an eye on it – good trees are valuable in any neighbourhood.

Basilbrush 8:48 pm 08 Sep 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Why is it protected? Over 15 metres?
Salts a good option.

What’s the fine for cutting it down yourself?

It used to be a $10k fine – and yes, they will watch this tree now. Good luck.

DrKoresh 9:11 pm 08 Sep 12

Masquara said :

You seriously have nothing better to do than worry about a tree?

The way I see it, it’s your land, let Masquara turn their property into belangelo state forest if she loves trees that damn much.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 9:23 pm 08 Sep 12

Masquara said :

Lol I would like to know how you google mapped this when no info is given about location.

Go home troll.

OP, I need fire wood. Ask Jb for my email and if you ay for cherry picker fees I will take care of the pesky tree.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 9:24 pm 08 Sep 12

Also, unless you are being filmed doing it, how can courts prove you put nails or salt in a tree?

deye 9:36 pm 08 Sep 12

Wait until the next bushfire approaches town, then grab the nearest person with a chainsaw and say it’s a fire risk.

rosscoact 8:56 am 09 Sep 12

Your house is worth less because it is on a block with a big tree that you are required to protect for the rest of community. That is the facts.

If you don’t like it then suck it up or move but leave my tree alone

poetix 10:01 am 09 Sep 12

rosscoact said :

If you don’t like it then suck it up or move but leave my tree alone

I suppose this is a problem that seldom arises in Gungahlin…

Masquara 10:16 am 09 Sep 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Masquara said :

Go home troll.

If someone posts their intention to break the law and behave in a way that will affect their local community negatively, it’s perfectly in order to take steps to protect Canberra’s treescape.

Affirmative Action Man 11:50 am 09 Sep 12

Absolute joke. Is really nobody’s business if you want to remove trees on your property Do you have to get approval if you want to remove a rose bush or replace your blueberry bush with raspberries ?

I love it that we go to the trouble to set up governments so they can then police this type of rubbish.

If the Libs proped to get rid of thes stupid regualtions they would become very popular.

PS – drill a hole in the roots then fill it with diesel – keep doing it for a few weeks & the tree will die.

Brianna 12:35 pm 09 Sep 12

Why not build up instead of out?

Antagonist 12:42 pm 09 Sep 12

Masquara said :

Could you please enlighten all of us by showing where the OP indicated an intent to break the law?

Nightshade 1:11 pm 09 Sep 12

Antagonist said :

Masquara said :

+1. The OP asked for advice on getting permission to remove the tree legally. Your comments were completely uncalled for.

rosscoact 1:37 pm 09 Sep 12

poetix said :

rosscoact said :

If you don’t like it then suck it up or move but leave my tree alone

I suppose this is a problem that seldom arises in Gungahlin…

Certainly not at my place, but where it does occur the block is bigger and a no-build zone is created during the estate development to prevent people from profiting from vandalising the tree for their own ends.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.