Psst, want a smoke with that?

ThatUniStudent 8 April 2011 45

For all you hard core smokers out there who want a ciggie with your meal in Canberra you still can! Want to eat some food with your cigarette? Want a welcoming environment where the management will ignore those annoying non smokers? Want to be able to tell those annoying anti smokers to F off? Well, now you can!

Come to ANU and grab a table outside of the restaurant on the upper level near the Manning Clarke Centre. Not only will you get food service to your table, but you can smoke there and management will do nothing about it. Even when people raise it with the staff three times nothing will be done about it. No smoking signs? Not at these tables. Yes, you can see them at tables closer to the restaurant, but not these ones.

No ashtrays? No worries! You can dump your buts on the ground and leave your cigarette packets on the table. They’ll still be there in the morning waiting for you.

Forgive the sarcasm, but it is beginning to get tiresome dealing with the staff of a particular restaurant at ANU who seems to have opened an unofficial Designated Outdoor Smoking Area on campus. Three times I’ve raised the issue with them and three times I’ve been told that they will do something about it. I’ve only just now realised that “something” was to ignore my complaint.

But seriously, if you do want a smoke with your meal, they will welcome you there, even if you do tell other people to F off when they tell you that it is illegal to smoke at restaurants in the ACT.

What’s Your opinion?

45 Responses to
Psst, want a smoke with that?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
Deref 9:31 am 11 Apr 11

vg said :

Anyone who spits in people’s faces, or purports to, is a piece of human refuse

That’s entirely unfair to refuse.

PBO 8:53 am 11 Apr 11

vg said :

“Wow VG, way to promote the peaceful nature of the police. Have you never spat in someones face? Or do you just beat them with phonebooks while they have handcuffs on? “

Have I ever spat in someone’s face……err no

Phonebooks with handcuffs on………errr no either

Your story is bollocks, but everyone’s 6’2″ and 100kg on the internet.

Anyone who spits in people’s faces, or purports to, is a piece of human refuse

Whatever vg. I’m not saying i’m 6’2′, never did and it was not implied. What i am saying is that i have spat in someones face before in that situation and it pissed me off that they had the gall to come up to a complete stranger and take the cigarette from my mouth and put it out. They got spat in the face and copped a smart arse one liner. how is that so hard to comprehend?

vg 10:38 pm 09 Apr 11

Have I ever spat in someone’s face……err no

Phonebooks with handcuffs on………errr no either

Your story is bollocks, but everyone’s 6’2″ and 100kg on the internet.

Anyone who spits in people’s faces, or purports to, is a piece of human refuse

Stevian 7:22 pm 09 Apr 11

PBO said :

Canberra is a big place and you dont know every single thing that has happened here. If you dont believe me, so what? I dont care.

You don’t care so much that you have to come and say again what a “big” man you are.

Yes, your story is bollocks

PBO 5:29 pm 09 Apr 11

vg said :

“They got spat (warm loogie) in the face followed by my question of: which is worse? second hand smoke or spit?”

So your response to having your cigarette extinguished was to assault someone. Way to go bogan.

If you did the same to me, or someone of my ilk, you’d be extracting your teeth from your bottom for the next month……I also guarantee your spitting story is bollocks

georgesgenitals 10:53 am 09 Apr 11

vg said :

I agree. Spit on me like that and I’d smash your nose through the back of your head.

Mysteryman 10:15 am 09 Apr 11

cleo said :

If people want to smoke, it’s up to them, as long as their outside who cares???

What kind of stupid statement is that? It’s NOT up to them when it’s on the premises of a bar, cafe, restaurant, or other establishment. We have these things now called “laws”, perhaps you’ve heard of them?

vg 9:09 am 09 Apr 11

Tooks 7:56 am 09 Apr 11

PBO said :

Tooks said :

Try smoking near me at a restaurant and see how long it stays lit.

I wouldn’t be that much of an arsehole about it! Would definitely give them the chance to do the right thing first.

Ggreg 5:43 am 09 Apr 11

ThatUniStudent:

> But I’ll be happy to give yours a nice kick any time you like.

Charming. But I guess you have to conform to the stereotype of the intolerant wowser you demonstrably are.

> hegemonic

Should you be using that word? I don’t think it means what you think it means.

Ggreg

cleo 12:43 am 09 Apr 11

If people want to smoke, it’s up to them, as long as their outside who cares???

fdup 9:20 pm 08 Apr 11

newsflash……babies are being murdered by their parents, women are being raped, young men are being bashed and killed, thousands are dead in Japan…..does this put your whinging into perspective. A retailer choosing to not confront a smoker may be a perfectly good reason for you to take your business elsewhere ie exercise the freewill that living in a democratic society allows. I say exercise your free will and go elsewhere. My concern here is that my tax dollars are being spent to educate someone who obviously can’t learn….you have really been back three times, complained three times and expected a different result!!!!…note : even if they enforce the no smoking do you reallly think they would want you back as a customer after you have tried to destroy their business…I have a feeling you are not as smart as you think you are.
Also after hearing that 50% of my tax contribution to the health budget is being spent on obesity caused disease…..maybe the whole idea of serving food in public places should also be banned, ohhh and those irritating children, and cyclist…….anyone one else in favour of moving away from a democracy so that no one is exposed to anything that they dont like

PBO 7:35 pm 08 Apr 11

colourful sydney racing identity said :

PBO said :

Tooks said :

Try smoking near me at a restaurant and see how long it stays lit.

Of course you did Arnie.

I didnt say that i did’nt cop a flogging though.

breda 6:37 pm 08 Apr 11

Self righteousness is such an unattractive quality. It gives people an excuse to behave badly, bolstered by the ‘sure knowledge’ that they are saving the world, the whales, humans from themselves etc.

The waitstaff on minimum wage must be so thrilled to be the objects of your bile.

Your puritanical zeal to see ‘evil’ stamped out should it come under your baleful eye will forever mark you as an insensitive, rude, boring prat.

Diggety 4:29 pm 08 Apr 11

ThatUniStudent said :

That might be a bit hard given my gender. But I’ll be happy to give yours a nice kick any time you like.
Talk about male hegemonic behaviour.

“hegemony (formal) Domination, influence, or authority over another, especially by one political group over a society or by one nation over others.”

“to grow a pair: (idiomatic, indelicate) To be brave; to show some courage, especially in a situation in which one has so far failed to do so. “

Back to class.

That is all.

Athryn 4:19 pm 08 Apr 11

Whine Whine Whine…. Damn non-smoker having another cry. I think a cup of cement is in order here.

PBO said :

Tooks said :

Try smoking near me at a restaurant and see how long it stays lit.

Of course you did Arnie.

PBO 3:55 pm 08 Apr 11

Tooks said :

Try smoking near me at a restaurant and see how long it stays lit.

Whilst i respect your stance and you should enjoy clean air if you want, I have had this happen to me where someone has taken it upon themselves to put out my ciggy without my permission. They got spat (warm loogie) in the face followed by my question of: which is worse? second hand smoke or spit? They stood there in shock and disbelief and i grinned like a spastic. It worked that time, but it wont work everytime.

Gantz 3:38 pm 08 Apr 11

colourful sydney racing identity said :

The_Bulldog said :

consider for a moment why your rights are more important than those of the next person’s.

Yet smokers rights to foul the air and put staff and patrons at risk from the carcinagens they choose to spew into the air are more important than mine?

Clearly.

ThatUniStudent 3:36 pm 08 Apr 11

Diggety said :

PBO said :

I am going to go there now, with any luck they will place me next to another smoker so i dont have to listen to dolphin hugging, tree friendly, save the planet but still wear leather and use plastic, ultra right wing leftie, do as i say not as i do, progressive regressive agressive, do gooder.

If ANU are clever enough to not cut of a paying demographic, then good on them for promoting freedom.

+1.

That place will now have my business. Along with a letter of congratulations on sticking it to the half-baked, freedom sapping, “but I’m allergic” Princesses out there.

Get back to class and grow a pair ThatUniStudent.

Talk about male hegemonic behaviour.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.