Public Art….it’s a Hoot!! (Belconnen gets an owl)

Br1anL 12 May 2011 100

giant owl

100 Responses to Public Art….it’s a Hoot!! (Belconnen gets an owl)
Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 7:14 am 13 May 11

Watson said :

Should it not please the poor sods who are paying for it? Lots of famous artists may not have been recognised in their day, so did their local council come along and buy their wares? Nope.

damien haas damien haas 5:49 am 13 May 11

It is symptomatic of a roads focussed government that so much public art is adjacent to roads, so that people in their cars can catch a glimpse as they speed by.

Watson Watson 9:51 pm 12 May 11

EvanJames said :

It’s about time they gave people a say in this. It’s not as though these items cost a few hundred bucks, it’s “Art” (with a capital F) which means it is expensive.

it would be nice if they had a publicised website, where they hoisted up pictures (and the price) of stuff they were thinking of buying, and let the citizens vote on it.

Crappy Owl:

Windmill-thing: 0
Bent Girders:

Sheep:

1000

If they were worried about one kind of Art dominating, they could have a number of different classifications the choices were grouped in. However if all the choices in “abstract, metal or other malleable medium” were horrible, the citizens would have the option of rejecting it all and compelling the government’s art wankers to go off and find better stuff.

I do disagree that the choice of public art should be based on popularity though. Lots of now famous artists were laughed at by their peers. And art should just not be about pleasing the majority. I found one friend who likes it heaps and for me that means it serves a purpose. And who knows, I might actually warm to it one day too.

LSWCHP LSWCHP 8:22 pm 12 May 11

EvanJames said :

housebound said :

Whoever approved this one should be forced to pay to move it to Stanhope’s back yard.

It gets worse! According to the CT, the government commissioned the bloody thing. And it cost $400k. Speechless.

I saw the artist gibbering about this on the ABC news. He waffled incoherently about how owls are big, and they eat animals as big as possums. I’m not really sure what he was on about, or how it was relevant to anything at all.

And having spent half an hour in the queue at the Belco Government shopfront this afternoon where less than half of the operator stations were staffed, I’ve been wondering how many counter staff that $400K could have paid for.

54-11 54-11 7:56 pm 12 May 11

cranky said :

This has to be Sonic’s final ‘up yours’ to the Canberra ratepayers. To spend $400K on a fibreglass spin-off which, from the Benjamin Way side does indeed look like a penis, just shows the man’s total arogance.

Agreed. In some ways, these latest piece of crap “art” is quite a fitting farewell to Stanhope.

cranky cranky 6:46 pm 12 May 11

Much is made of how cities across the world have beautiful, important, popular artworks. How Sonic decided that he had the perfect sense of taste that would allow Canberra entry to this hallowed world is beyond me.

Mate, you should never have inflicted this piece of excretement upon us. And being a Philistine, yes I do have better suggestions for the $400K. A couple more on road Police would be appreciated.

Wily_Bear Wily_Bear 5:32 pm 12 May 11

Maybe it is intended to scare away snakes or the thousands of mice currently invading Canberra ?

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 5:09 pm 12 May 11

colourful sydney racing identity said :

I really don’t get it, for an artist )and I do consider you one through the photo’s you have shared with us) you are really down on art you don’t like – most artist I have met can appreciate art, even when they don’t like it.

Thanks for the compliment, very much appreciated.

I have to say I have not seen in Canberra much that I would consider good public art. Take this for instance, it is neither original, nor is it stimulating, it is not well done, it shows little craft. It’s bland, it’s just another quasi “big thing”. In fact if they had made it a real “big thing” it may have served a purpose in attracting big thing fans.

No one will tell me that there is not at some art school in Canberra someone who could have come up with some better idea than this, and made it for a fraction of the price.

And I still say that any “art ” which is going to be foisted into the public, should have a display of models of competing proposals, and sketches work ups, CGI images etc toured around the public libraries, so that the public can comment on them BEFORE the money is spent.

How many knew that $400 k was going to be spend on this giant garden centre bargain basement lawn ornament? Who was aware of the plans for it? Who knew anything at all about it?

thatsnotme thatsnotme 4:32 pm 12 May 11

Moose said :

It’s looks like a big white penis. So so SO wrong!!

And in the photo attached to the ABC story, that big white penis appears to be growing out of John Stanhope’s head.

I can’t help but wonder whether the photographer was trying to make his own comment on this one? “Just shuffle a bit to the left John…little bit more…just trying to line everything up…perfect! Now I’ll get down low…no, don’t worry, it won’t look silly, it’s artistic!”

Holditz Holditz 4:24 pm 12 May 11

“I support the ‘warming’ and ‘personalisaiton’ of Canberra through public art projects…. but in case case I have to say…..WTF!!!”

It has to be said…

ORLY?

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 4:08 pm 12 May 11

Pommy bastard said :

EvanJames said :

That’s sickening.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 4:01 pm 12 May 11

Skidbladnir said :

Surely we could have installed a crapload of art from relative unknowns and let some of it appreciate in value to offset the shit, or let developers who have some stake in property values choose what their money gets spent on?

Further to this, perhaps we could hold a poll to determine which of the newer pieces the public liked the most, and keep them, removing the others to make way for new pieces.

If we paid unknown artists $20k, for same price as this we could have 20 new pieces.

Thumper Thumper 3:53 pm 12 May 11

All we need now it a white horse.

Surely the arboretum is crying out for one?

EvanJames EvanJames 3:53 pm 12 May 11

Skidbladnir said :

For similar appeal, Stanhope could just lined the length of Benjamin Way with tyreswans.

Awesome idea! Painted white, too, of course.

The picture of that punji thing in Melbourne, OK that’s different, that is quite powerful.

The Belconnen Way one is just Blah, it doesn’t make sense.

I like the crow in the CT article, it’s got something going on. And it’s by a local artist, possibly unknown.

Mothy Mothy 3:43 pm 12 May 11

Skidbladnir said :

From the same artist who made the 25m tall jarrah, aluminium, and glass statue Bunjil on top of the plinth at the Melbourne Docklands (Which was itself a reproduction of his smaller bronzes Bunjil)

That piece cost $800,000.

And again, why did we heap money at the feet of an established artist, who was already at the peak of their price cycle?

Attempted to post the same with a google street view pic of it but failed. I think this is the work referred to as “Eagle” in the CT article.

Completely agree – it looks every bit the cheap knockoff version of the Melbourne one.

I bet the artist was asked to quote for a commissioned work, pulled a figure they guessed would never be paid from thin air, and was amazed to find it agreed to.

Can anyone estimate the cost of materials? By all means, include the perch and installation of the work.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 3:33 pm 12 May 11

shanefos said :

What are you talking about? That’s fantastic!

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 3:29 pm 12 May 11

That piece cost $800,000.

Why on earth did we pay $400,000 for a fibreglass statue?
I give it a month and some bored college students before it has a brick-sized hole in it.

EvanJames EvanJames 3:02 pm 12 May 11

PBO said :

Hmmm, I just see a challenge to make it cool.

A beak would be a good start.

What about an underground competition to decorate it in amusing ways? A bit like the old Triple J Beat The Drum promo.

I note it’s made of fibreglass. How about putting it on the next ANU O week scavenger hunt list? (do they still do those?)

Maybe we could just sell it on eBay.

Chop71 Chop71 2:57 pm 12 May 11

Yeah well it crapped all over my car !!!! Biggest bird turd you have ever seen

PBO PBO 2:56 pm 12 May 11

Hmmm, I just see a challenge to make it cool.