Public Art….it’s a Hoot!! (Belconnen gets an owl)

Br1anL 12 May 2011 100

giant owl

I support the ‘warming’ and ‘personalisaiton’ of Canberra through public art projects…. but in case case I have to say…..WTF!!!

100 Responses to Public Art….it’s a Hoot!! (Belconnen gets an owl)
Mysteryman Mysteryman 2:27 pm 13 May 11

That’s the biggest waste of $400,000 I’ve ever seen. What a POS.

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 2:07 pm 13 May 11

rosscoact said :

Why would you give pig ignorant philistines a vote on art? They’ll only eat it or crap on it

You have already endorsed your representatives to make that choice and they are now in the Assembly.

Me, don’t like the Owl but I think Dinornis Maximus is an amusing folly and Rhizomes makes my heart fill with joy everytime I drive past it.

I would not advocate voting against particular art, only for.

SheepGroper SheepGroper 1:38 pm 13 May 11

KaptnKaos said :

Hmmm… fibreglass and wood…. in Belconnen….. wonder what odds are before it is vandalised, set alight, knocked over, etc etc etc.

All you need is someone with emo friends to die there ( possibly by being distracted by it while speeding through the intersection ) and you’ll get all three.

KaptnKaos KaptnKaos 1:28 pm 13 May 11

SheepGroper SheepGroper 1:19 pm 13 May 11

I caught an interview with the producer of the thing on the local news last night, he said that initially it was to be several owls, because the collective term for owls is a parliament, but eh, and he trailed off.

It looked very roughly finished on the news, but I thought it was at least rounded, the picture above shows it’s flat.

What’s the base supposed to be anyway, a flat tree?

rosscoact rosscoact 1:14 pm 13 May 11

LSWCHP LSWCHP 1:06 pm 13 May 11

Moose said :

It’s looks like a big white penis. So so SO wrong!!

Hmmm. What sort of penises have you been checking out lately? I inspected my penis this morning, and it doesn’t look anything like that owl.

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 11:33 am 13 May 11

Pommy bastard said :

colourful sydney racing identity said :

You mentioned something in a previous thread about having some form of voting system for public art – I am actually quite interested in that as an idea, how do you see it working? eg artists providing a vision for their work on an ACT Govt website, at Libraries/shop fronts etc and then people can vote for which project they would like to see go ahead?

I would be really supportive of this approach.

Cheers. I outlined the bare bones of it in an earlier post.

Any “art ” which is going to be foisted into the public, should have a display of models of competing proposals, and sketches work ups, CGI images etc toured around the public libraries, so that the public can comment on them BEFORE the money is spent.

It would not be a vote per se, just a chance for us to have alternatives and proposals, before the final choice is made, to comment on. Costs would have to be declared, and no money over the artists estimates paid out.

I would be happy for the artists wanting to submit a proposed piece be compensated for their time and display costs.

Even better, I prefer the comment rather than vote option. One of my concerns was the initial costs incurred by artists but you have covered that off – I think we are close to being in heated agreement

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 11:19 am 13 May 11

p1 said :

Not if I get it heritage listed. Then the ACT Local Council Government will have to pay upkeep for ever. Mwwhhhaaahaaahaahahaaaa!

Sir (ma’am?), you are evil.
I like your style.

EvanJames EvanJames 11:13 am 13 May 11

Chop71 said :

now compare $400,000
Basicly that artist was given a 3 bed Canberra house to make that Owl.

It looks really poor quality, it looks cheap. Maybe it is meant to be viewed from a distance, like the one in Melbourne, and not up close. I dunno. It looks like a piece of advertising put together at a fibreglassing shop.

Give that Wamboin bloke $400k and I bet he’d come up with something much better.

AlpineViper AlpineViper 11:03 am 13 May 11
Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 10:37 am 13 May 11

colourful sydney racing identity said :

I would be really supportive of this approach.

Cheers. I outlined the bare bones of it in an earlier post.

Chop71 Chop71 10:25 am 13 May 11

now compare $400,000
Basicly that artist was given a 3 bed Canberra house to make that Owl.

p1 p1 10:13 am 13 May 11

The_Bulldog said :

I give this piece of garbage about twelve months.

smiling politely smiling politely 9:32 am 13 May 11

Perhaps it’s less a statue and more of a tribute to Sheffield Wednesday FC

The Frots The Frots 9:29 am 13 May 11

colourful sydney racing identity said :

Pommy bastard said :

Watson said :

I do disagree that the choice of public art should be based on popularity though. Lots of now famous artists were laughed at by their peers. And art should just not be about pleasing the majority.

Should it not please the poor sods who are paying for it? Lots of famous artists may not have been recognised in their day, so did their local council come along and buy their wares? Nope.

I would be really supportive of this approach.

Yes – really supportive of this approach. Publish the ‘art’ first so that we (who are really the buyers of this stuff) can vote a ‘yes’, ‘no’ and even a ‘not right now’ so that we aren’t spending money on this for the sake of it.

As for the ‘Owl’ – my God – wrong, wrong wrong!!!!!

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 9:27 am 13 May 11

Strange question, couldn’t we once pull up the DA’s for artwork installations?
(Also, the ArtsACT webiste is really getting out of date except for media releases)

The_Bulldog The_Bulldog 9:12 am 13 May 11

Deep breath. Can’t believe that cost $400,000 dollars. I haven’t seen it “in the flesh” at this stage, but based on the photos I would reckon there’s probably less than $10,000 of fibreglass – which, incidentally, is a really clever idea for an outdoor project! Don’t know enough about the base or costs associated with big-ass lumps of what appears to be granite or some-such.

Based on the poor finish, rudimentary shape and lack of detail, I would guess that the owl component would have taken the artist no loger than a month to complete, from frame to sanding.

Looks like the trades and service industry aren’t the only ones taking the piss out of Government contracts. Don’t get me wrong – I’m all for public art when it’s affordable, durable and interesting. The only interesting factor about this is the fact that we’re discussing it – not because of the perceived artistic value, but because it’s plainly taking the piss. Someone will mention Blue Poles and how much we paid for it at the time and the public outcry. Whether you like it or not, at least that piece can be kept inside and it’ll last. I give this piece of garbage about twelve months.

AlpineViper AlpineViper 8:44 am 13 May 11

O RLY?

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 8:10 am 13 May 11

Pommy bastard said :

Watson said :

I would be really supportive of this approach.