Rally for Refugees

uniqueusername 12 November 2009 79

I know that many people have different opinions on this issue but I thought I’d pass this on anyway:

Instead of bringing refugees picked up by an Australian Customs ship to Australia, the Government has tried for four weeks to force them to get off in Indonesia. Indonesia is not a signatory to the UN Convention and Protocol on Refugees. Its time Australia met our obligation and processed these people efficiently, rather than spending millions locking them up in various places.

This rally calls for action now to treat these people humanely and expeditiously.

The details are as follows:

5:30pm Friday 13 November 2009
Petrie Plaza, Civic (near the Merry Go Round)

Speakers Include:

Will Mudford, Unions ACT
Amanda Besnan, Greens MLA
And an Australasian Federation of Tamil Associations spokesperson

79 Responses to Rally for Refugees
phototext phototext 8:42 am 18 Nov 09

“I think they should have to go home and fix the mess they made in their own country rather than run away from it and create another mess here.”

I really don’t understand this concept. It is not like they are wanting to move from O’Connor to Bondi because they want a sea view.

People leave countries like Afghanistan, Iraq and Sri Lanka because of war, persecution, famine etc etc.

““HUMANS ARE NOT AN ENDANGERED SPECIES””

What a bizarre comment.

cleo cleo 12:56 am 18 Nov 09

How can we house them when we can’t even house our own people?

billyboy billyboy 2:49 pm 16 Nov 09

I think they should have to go home and fix the mess they made in their own country rather than run away from it and create another mess here. “HUMANS ARE NOT AN ENDANGERED SPECIES” you know.

astrojax astrojax 8:11 pm 13 Nov 09

pb, having money does not detract from being a refugee – i wish this argument would go away and die somewhere quietly. in fact, many persecuted in the world have been more persecuted than some of their community peers because they were/are seen to be wealthy…

as jim jones points out, there is no queue and, if we think about it, what sort of types do we want coming to australia? go-getters, self-starters, motivated folk with some gumption and verve and some ingenuity and resolve to push through motivation and plans by some means? well, these ‘queue-jumping boat scoundrels’ are your folks, folks.

and +2 to coach… 8)

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 4:34 pm 13 Nov 09

If these people are really refugees how can they afford the cars and pit crews to go rallying?

ahappychappy ahappychappy 4:19 pm 13 Nov 09

sloppery said :

Coach said :

uniqueusername said :

I urge detractors to read this article.

I for one could not read that article without being moved. The reality of this debate is that most people form their opinions in a vaccum, and defend a particular position that has so many alternative views, that it really is indefencible.

Alternative views are great, help the debate, and help people get a clearer perspective. But when we adopt a “I’m right and everyone else is an idiot” stance, conflict reigns supreme.

Respect for a different point of view would help enourmously, and a recognition that those in decision making position are between a rock and a hard place, where every decision could be argued as correct, or totally wrong.

Lets not suppress the debate, but lets bring respect, tolerance, and curiosity to understand others views into our reality.

Perhaps you could re-post this very good comment into the thread about gay marriage.

ricci ricci 4:07 pm 13 Nov 09

I worked on multicultural and refugee issues for years. I was also a member of the Indochinese Refugee Association. I sponsored and looked after two Laotian families who I helped bring to Canberra. Both families were in UN Refugee camps for years. Despite Granny’s assertion about there being no queue, both these families would have had to wait a lot longer as a result of people like these Tamils jumping in first after paying people smugglers. My Laotian families would not have been able to afford to pay people smugglers.

Having helped them in to Australia I assisted in getting them jobs and accommodation which meant they were not a drain on Social Security. They worked in the hospital system which badly needs people like them.

I feel this last lot are holding Australia to ransom, have more or less hijacked a customs boat which should be doing its normal duties, and are not that different from Somali pirates.

Like the wishy-washy response to the pirates, which simply resulted in more piracy, giving into the demands of the Tamils will simply increase the flow of those using people smugglers. Saying just let these ones in shows absolutely no thought as to what this could lead to.

I wish the bleeding hearts in this forum, who probably have actually done nothing practical in relation to assisting refugees apart from typing on a computer, would get real.

Incidentally, I am a born and bred Aussie and was not trying to assist family into the country when sponsoring refugee families.

sloppery sloppery 4:01 pm 13 Nov 09

Coach said :

uniqueusername said :

I urge detractors to read this article.

Coach Coach 3:56 pm 13 Nov 09

uniqueusername said :

I urge detractors to read this article.

Up The Duffy Up The Duffy 3:24 pm 13 Nov 09

Pandy Said

“Why do they want to be refugees in Australia? Because we have a soft Government. No-one wants these people, not NZ, not India. Lets face it Tamils casued a lot of problems in Sri Lanka and I am sure they will bring their tribal shite fights to our shores too if we are not careful.”

“I say”, The Tamils sided with the British rulers of Ceylon for a 150yrs and lived a privileged life. While exploiting the the Sri lankains.
What goes round comes round.

Up The Duffy Up The Duffy 3:14 pm 13 Nov 09

Want to put more stress on the Australian environment. Just let everyone move here!!

The Greens have a conflict of interest that they need to sort out before being a serious alternative, environmentally centred government.

Maybe the Greens should change there name too…….?

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:59 pm 13 Nov 09

Granny said :

Refugees are not illegal immigrants. This is not rocket science.

Equally, not all unlawful arrivals (all them what you will) are bona fide refugees.

Rad Dave Rad Dave 12:51 pm 13 Nov 09

georgesgenitals said :

I make this comment based on professional experience.

87.5% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I make this comment based on professional experience.

Buzz2600 Buzz2600 12:48 pm 13 Nov 09

Post #23 – here’s the facts regarding the asylum seekers who were placed on Manus Is and Nauru with 70% ultimately deemed to be genuine refugees:

“A total of 1637 people were detained in the Nauru and Manus facilities, of whom 1153 (or 70 per cent) were ultimately resettled from the OPCs to Australia or other countries. Of those who were resettled, around 61 per cent (705 people) were resettled in Australia”.

Thanks to Senator Chris Evans
Minister for Immigration and Citizenship
Media Release dated Friday, 8 February 2008

ahappychappy ahappychappy 12:38 pm 13 Nov 09

^ awesome links. Thankyou.

My point still stands, once they pass the test, let them in. More than happy for them to come to safety once given refugee status.

sepi sepi 12:20 pm 13 Nov 09

this article says 90% of boat people are accepted as refugees.

uniqueusername uniqueusername 11:20 am 13 Nov 09

I urge detractors to read this article.

ahappychappy ahappychappy 11:04 am 13 Nov 09

Granny said :

Refugees are not illegal immigrants. This is not rocket science.

Really? Do you just assume people asking for money on the street are actually homeless ‘coz they say they are? You’d be out of pocket a fair amount right?

georgesgenitals said :

Less than 5% of the people who turn up in this way pass the UN for political refugees. Send them on their way, and stop wasting Australian dollars on them.

So we’ve got some people saying “less that 5% pass” others saying “the vast majority pass” – any stats to back it up? Would probably be an interesting read (I’m a bit too lazy this morning).

Once they pass the test, let them in. Just because their boat sank and they’re being ungrateful sods by not leaving doesn’t mean they should bypass the system.

They’ve already tried to do it illegally once, why are we supposed to bend the rules for them after they tried to break them?

billyboy billyboy 10:40 am 13 Nov 09

Funnily, the vast majority of refos entering Australia (approx 90%) simply fly in! Why does the mode of transport (boat) seem to worry some people so much? What have Australians got against boats? I love my boat.

I think the average Australian is just a bit too average, particularly in IQ anyway. Let the poor buggers come straight in on a time limit basis, so basically they can escape what ever it is that’s threatening them for say 5 years max, then they have to go. Or as John Howard once said “See ya – wouldn’t want to be ya!”

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 10:35 am 13 Nov 09

If I could keep everyone I viewed as ‘undesireable’ out of the country and if I could remove everyone I viewed as ‘undesireable’ from the country, I would be really, really, really lonely.