Lifestyle

Part of the Canberra community
for over 30 years

Rally for Refugees

By uniqueusername - 12 November 2009 79

I know that many people have different opinions on this issue but I thought I’d pass this on anyway:

Instead of bringing refugees picked up by an Australian Customs ship to Australia, the Government has tried for four weeks to force them to get off in Indonesia.  Indonesia is not a signatory to the UN Convention and Protocol on Refugees.   Its time Australia met our obligation and processed these people efficiently, rather than spending millions locking them up in various places.

This rally calls for action now to treat these people humanely and expeditiously.

The details are as follows:

5:30pm Friday 13 November 2009
Petrie Plaza, Civic (near the Merry Go Round)

Speakers Include:

Will Mudford, Unions ACT
Amanda Besnan, Greens MLA
And an Australasian Federation of Tamil Associations spokesperson

What’s Your opinion?

79 Responses to
Rally for Refugees
Jim Jones 12:09 pm 18 Nov 09

Hells_Bells74 said :

You see Aussies feel pretty safe on the whole.. Feel their country would or could never persecute/starve the people or have a war, internal or otherwise. Well derr, shit happens!

Wake up.. if it was you escaping the horrors of genocide/war, here’s to hoping your karma doesn’t notice also when you’re at the crossroads of life for those who shun the very thought now.

“I’m alright, so screw those untrustworthy foreigners” never struck me as a particularly compelling foundation for debate about refugee intake.

colourful sydney rac 12:09 pm 18 Nov 09

sloppery said :

Is there a Sri Lankan embassy? Let’s just drop them off there.

Ah, that is sensible. I like the way you think. Perhaps if a child runs away from home alleging sexual abuse by her parents we should make sure she is dropped back home, post haste.

Hells_Bells74 11:18 am 18 Nov 09

sloppery 10:28 am 18 Nov 09

Is there a Sri Lankan embassy? Let’s just drop them off there.

astrojax 8:51 am 18 Nov 09

billyboy said :

I think they should have to go home and fix the mess they made in their own country rather than run away from it and create another mess here. “HUMANS ARE NOT AN ENDANGERED SPECIES” you know.

this is a very naive (i hope not xenophobic and bigoted) comment – the persecuted are hardly the likely suspects to foment political change; perhaps others might foment radical transformation of their government on their behalf, but the ones at risk of persecution do well to flee such troubles, not ‘fix the mess’ – oh, and i don’t think these refugees ‘made’ it.

phototext 8:42 am 18 Nov 09

“I think they should have to go home and fix the mess they made in their own country rather than run away from it and create another mess here.”

I really don’t understand this concept. It is not like they are wanting to move from O’Connor to Bondi because they want a sea view.

People leave countries like Afghanistan, Iraq and Sri Lanka because of war, persecution, famine etc etc.

““HUMANS ARE NOT AN ENDANGERED SPECIES””

What a bizarre comment.

cleo 12:56 am 18 Nov 09

How can we house them when we can’t even house our own people?

billyboy 2:49 pm 16 Nov 09

astrojax 8:11 pm 13 Nov 09

pb, having money does not detract from being a refugee – i wish this argument would go away and die somewhere quietly. in fact, many persecuted in the world have been more persecuted than some of their community peers because they were/are seen to be wealthy…

as jim jones points out, there is no queue and, if we think about it, what sort of types do we want coming to australia? go-getters, self-starters, motivated folk with some gumption and verve and some ingenuity and resolve to push through motivation and plans by some means? well, these ‘queue-jumping boat scoundrels’ are your folks, folks.

and +2 to coach… 8)

Pommy bastard 4:34 pm 13 Nov 09

If these people are really refugees how can they afford the cars and pit crews to go rallying?

ahappychappy 4:19 pm 13 Nov 09

sloppery said :

Coach said :

uniqueusername said :

I urge detractors to read this article.

I for one could not read that article without being moved. The reality of this debate is that most people form their opinions in a vaccum, and defend a particular position that has so many alternative views, that it really is indefencible.

Alternative views are great, help the debate, and help people get a clearer perspective. But when we adopt a “I’m right and everyone else is an idiot” stance, conflict reigns supreme.

Respect for a different point of view would help enourmously, and a recognition that those in decision making position are between a rock and a hard place, where every decision could be argued as correct, or totally wrong.

Lets not suppress the debate, but lets bring respect, tolerance, and curiosity to understand others views into our reality.

Perhaps you could re-post this very good comment into the thread about gay marriage.

ricci 4:07 pm 13 Nov 09

I worked on multicultural and refugee issues for years. I was also a member of the Indochinese Refugee Association. I sponsored and looked after two Laotian families who I helped bring to Canberra. Both families were in UN Refugee camps for years. Despite Granny’s assertion about there being no queue, both these families would have had to wait a lot longer as a result of people like these Tamils jumping in first after paying people smugglers. My Laotian families would not have been able to afford to pay people smugglers.

Having helped them in to Australia I assisted in getting them jobs and accommodation which meant they were not a drain on Social Security. They worked in the hospital system which badly needs people like them.

I feel this last lot are holding Australia to ransom, have more or less hijacked a customs boat which should be doing its normal duties, and are not that different from Somali pirates.

Like the wishy-washy response to the pirates, which simply resulted in more piracy, giving into the demands of the Tamils will simply increase the flow of those using people smugglers. Saying just let these ones in shows absolutely no thought as to what this could lead to.

I wish the bleeding hearts in this forum, who probably have actually done nothing practical in relation to assisting refugees apart from typing on a computer, would get real.

Incidentally, I am a born and bred Aussie and was not trying to assist family into the country when sponsoring refugee families.

sloppery 4:01 pm 13 Nov 09

Coach said :

uniqueusername said :

I urge detractors to read this article.

Coach 3:56 pm 13 Nov 09

uniqueusername said :

I urge detractors to read this article.

Up The Duffy 3:24 pm 13 Nov 09

Pandy Said

“Why do they want to be refugees in Australia? Because we have a soft Government. No-one wants these people, not NZ, not India. Lets face it Tamils casued a lot of problems in Sri Lanka and I am sure they will bring their tribal shite fights to our shores too if we are not careful.”

“I say”, The Tamils sided with the British rulers of Ceylon for a 150yrs and lived a privileged life. While exploiting the the Sri lankains.
What goes round comes round.