BEST OF CANBERRA

Serving Canberra for 15+ years
Free quotes. 02 6190 0760

Canberra’s Best House Painters

There’s nothing like a fresh lick of paint to breathe new life into your home. And while painting is usually cheaper than renovating, the final result can be just as dramatic – especially when completed using the right colours, technique and creative flair.

DIY can be a great option if you’re on a tight budget and know your way around drop sheets and paint rollers. But if you’re serious about quality, or your job is on the tricky side (i.e. ceiling painting, exterior painting), a professional painter is worth the investment.

Whether you’re keen to update your home before putting it on the market, or think your living room needs a freshen up, here’s how to find a skilled painter in the Canberra region.

Let’s get started.

What makes a great painter?

If you’ve ever given DIY painting a go, chances are you’ll know that getting a paint job right isn’t as easy as it looks. Many DIY-ers end up spending more money and time than they originally planned, for less than optimal results.

Here are a few questions to ask before choosing a professional painter.

• How much painting experience do you have? Painters with years of experience have seen it all. They know how to identify damage like rot and mould. They know when to use a brush instead of a roller, and how many coats of paint it will take to get your home looking its best.
  • What prep work do you do before painting? This is a particularly important question for exterior painting jobs. Good preparation (i.e. thoroughly cleaning surfaces, sanding, filling gaps) is the secret to a lasting paint job.
  • How will the paint be applied? There are plenty of ways to apply paint, from spraying to brushing. And while each painter will have their own application preferences, it’s worth asking why they opt for that particular technique.
  • What are the minimum drying times? Rushed painters may apply a second coat of paint when the first is not yet dry. Check that the contract will allow for the minimum drying time required.
  • Can you use the paint brand I want? Many professional painters have a preferred paint brand, but they should be equally happy to work with products you supply. If you decide to use the paint supplied by the painter, do your research to make sure it is a high quality product.
  • Will you return my home to pre-job condition? All surfaces at risk of paint splatter should be covered – including power points and cabinets. If paint gets on any surfaces by mistake, check that your painter can rectify this too.

The top painters in Canberra – according to you

RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.

To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.

Canberra Painting Company

Canberra Painting Company

When it comes to trust, professionalism, experience and results, readers say it’s difficult to go past Canberra Painting Company. A family business that’s been in Canberra for over 15 years, Canberra Painting Company is trusted by homeowners as well as major builders for new home builds and developments.

Canberra Painting Company’s 27 painters are fully licenced and insured. Teams take on jobs of all sizes – including full preparation, cleaning and plastering – for existing homes, new homes, commercial premises and industrial buildings.

To get started, head to your local paint store (it recommends Paint Place Mitchell) and choose your colours. Or, ask the experts at Canberra Painting Company for a colour consultation. Then relax as its friendly team handles the rest.

You won’t be left waiting either. Canberra Painting Company prides itself on a fast turn-around, offering quotes within 24 hours and a start date in as little as 7 days.

Want to paint concrete, varnish floorboards or stain a deck, give doors a new lease on life, remove rust or stains, repair water damage, or paint something 10 metres high? These guys will do that too! And, best of all – Canberra Painting Company provides full professional cleaning before every job is completed.

“We spend more time preparing than painting. Anyone can paint. What determines the quality of the job is the preparation.”

9/15 Darling St
Mitchell ACT 2911
Canberra Painting Service

Canberra Painting Service

In its own words, Canberra Painting Service “isn’t the cheapest, but we do the job right.” From humble beginnings as a one-man outfit 25 years ago, Canberra Painting Service now has a 12-person team, and a reputation for quality.

Managing director Brian Wilson prides himself on meeting customer needs without cutting corners. His team specialises in render repairs and residential painting, as well as commercial projects.

With a Dulux accreditation, Canberra Painting Service delivers on the promise of excellent finishes and all its staff ensure industry standards are met. Brian has been on the Master Painters Association of Canberra executive committee for more than a decade, so it’s safe to say he has sound knowledge of the local market and its unique paint requirements.

With an impressive portfolio and reputation for quality workmanship, Canberra Painting Service come highly recommended by satisfied customer and reader Ross W: “Your workers are prompt, responsive and a great credit to you.”

ACT Painting Services

ACT Painting Services

Scott and the team at ACT Painting Services focus on the finer details, with a high priority aimed at attention to detail. With many interesting designs and ideas, Scott will ensure the best feature wall within your house. They specialise in interior, exterior, roof and epoxy floor painting, for both your house or office.

Prep work is also something Scott and the team pride themselves on and this contributes to the many masterpiece results they have produced. Scott is a pleasure to deal with from the moment he answers the phone and ensures ACT Painting Services offer great work for a fair price. He also stands by the no obligation free quote policy.

Check out what some of his happy customers have to say: ‘APS painted the whole interior of my home and I have called them back to paint my roof, great guys!’ And ‘Extremely professional, great price and a fabulous finish. Extremely happy with the result.’

Golden Brush Painting

Billed as Canberra’s premier painting business, Golden Brush Painting specialises in residential re-painting. It focuses on customer service, attention to detail and quality work at a competitive price.

Unsure which colours or finishes will look best? The Golden Brush team can provide recommendations to help you choose a look you’ll love for years to come.

For extra peace of mind, Golden Brush is a Taubmans-certified painter. As part of this, it offers a professional guarantee that it complies with safety regulations and holds the appropriate insurances.

Here’s what customer Elizabeth said about Golden Brush’s work: “The Golden Brush Team did a fantastic job! They responded within 24hrs with a quote and provided friendly, professional advice. I am very happy with the end results and would definitely recommend them.”

Rick Maier Paint Plus

Rick Maier Paint Plus is an award-winning residential and commercial painting company that also offers services like wallpapering, concrete floor coatings and commercial painting. With a five-year workmanship warranty, you can expect a great outcome.

Previous customers rave about Rick Maier Paint Plus. Satisfied customer Mike left the following review: “Professional job with the included and helpful services of a colour consultant. Lots of detail work on trim and doors in various rooms. The team were meticulous in preparation, in moving and replacing furniture and curtains and with cleanup.”

Who did you pick?

Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst painters in Canberra.

If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.

Hired a painter in Canberra before? Share your recommendations below.

84 Responses to Canberra’s Best House Painters
Sparkical Sparkical 7:55 pm 13 Nov 15

Alpha Painting did a terrific job at our place both internally and externally. Will provided very sound advice and nothing was too much trouble. As part of his service cracks are patched and he doesn’t take short cuts. This is a man who takes pride in his work and I would recommend him to anyone.

Lindsy Lindsy 9:04 am 24 Sep 15

I have used Robee’s Painting Services to paint the inside of my house. They were great. I recommend them to anyone. Good price and great work.

grandhall grandhall 9:59 am 13 Aug 15

The question asks for any good painters. As for those negative women above who just want to talk about people, it would be good to be positive. I recommend Robee’s Painting Services. Lovely painting work, very neat, finishes work, you can trust, affordable, modern, pleasant to be around. Have no problems at all. Very happy. All people who have had positive experiences with this business please say so, it would be good of you.

greenlife greenlife 10:59 pm 12 Aug 15

The above three females are accusing a good painter of not being good. I got Robee’s Painting Services to paint the inside and outside of my house. He did an excellent job. Clean, tidy, beautiful painting, honest, finished the job, shows up, reliable worker, professional, no harassment of any kind at all, good fair price. I recommend Robee’s Painting Services to anyone. I wanted to post this along time ago when I first saw the question about recommending a good painting business but didn’t realize that I didn’t do it properly and that my comment didn’t show. I RECOMMEND ROBEE’S PAINTING SERVICES TO ANY ONE.

Jamie_Lee84 Jamie_Lee84 3:29 pm 06 Jul 15

Scott from Trend Painters did a great job on my house, he even helped with picking the colours. Scott was really polite, reliable and passionate about painting. His number is 0450 420 100

Jamie_Lee84 Jamie_Lee84 3:28 pm 06 Jul 15

Jamie_Lee84 Jamie_Lee84 3:26 pm 06 Jul 15

GeorgeAngus GeorgeAngus 8:52 am 06 Jun 15

We used Delan from Australian Premier Painting. He and his crew did a brilliant job on our house, could not fault him. His quote was very reasonable, they were quick, the workmanship was good and very polite.
He delivered on all promises.

Anna_Wilson1788 Anna_Wilson1788 1:14 pm 29 Apr 15

I used Ali from Kingdom Painting Services for both inside and outside of my house I cant stress how great of a job him and his guys did. I emailed them using gumtree received an email back organising the time for the quotation, he showed up on time explained what he was going to do and witch products he was going to use and the timeline he was going to finish in. his price was not the cheapest but it was reasonable and I liked the way he explained everything to me before starting the work. They started on the outside and finished it in three days as I am a fussy person I made sure I had a look around to see that everything was done right and I could not find any mistakes.
The interior part of the work was also done with the same great quality they put drop sheets everywhere they worked covered my furniture with plastic drop sheets did the two coats and not a drop of paint on my timber floors witch I was extremely happy about.

Their number is 0416 944 655
email is Kingdom_Painting_Services@hotmail.com

Anna_Wilson1788 Anna_Wilson1788 9:29 am 29 Apr 15

I used Ali from Kingdom Painting Services they did a great job on my house a little more expensive then the other quotes I was provided with but definitely worth it, he explained what they where going to do products that they where going to use and timeline they where going to finish in. I can truly say to begin with I was not looking forward to getting the work done just because of the story’s you hear going around about dodgy paint work but I had a fantastic experience with this company they showed up on time everyday and completed the work on time. I inspected the work after and had not problems with peeling paint work and my water damaged ceiling was also fixed properly.

their email is Kingdom_Painting_Services@hotmail.com for those who need a reliable and quality painter.

Jamestheduke21 Jamestheduke21 10:36 am 18 Feb 15

I know the feeling of not wanting to hire a company. It’s good you’re taking precautions! I would look at their reviews, or some of their past work. Otherwise, it looks like you’ve found a pretty good deal! http://ccspainting.com

Debut69 Debut69 9:29 am 10 Feb 15

Pitchka said :

I want a great painter, that does a mickey mouse job, but i want it for a cheap price.

Good luck with that one.. If you think painting is ‘easy’, give it a try yourself. A good painter, who uses good quality paint (Dulux etc), will charge you accordingly.

Like with most trades, you get what you pay for.

Pretty sure the OP asked for a REASONABLE quote, never said anything about a cheap price…
There is a difference.
And, you don’t always get what you pay for, unfortunately.

gowriegoldfish gowriegoldfish 4:47 pm 09 Feb 15

Can I please have a few current recommendatios for good reliable painters in Canberra.
Much appreciated.

Moved_to_Curtin Moved_to_Curtin 8:48 pm 29 Oct 14

I used Astor Painters in May 2014 after getting a recommendation from a property manager who gives him repeat business. Its a small business run by a local who has been painting is entire life and knows the craft of painting. By the questions the owner asked during quoting I saw that he had an eye for detail. He did two coats of paint, filled cracks, repaired minor wall damage. It was three days of interior painting.The price was in line with other quotes. The work was top quality and I would use them again.

Kate88 Kate88 4:37 pm 30 Sep 14

Tim – Whalan Painting 0415 250 134. He is well priced and does a fantastic job.

Kate88 Kate88 4:34 pm 30 Sep 14

Tim’s, number is 0415 250 134 🙂

Kate88 Kate88 4:32 pm 30 Sep 14

Hi, we had our house painted by Tim from Whalan Painting & Decorating. He did a fantastic job and we are very impressed with how it turned out. He was reliable and made sure that everything was cleaned up.

Ivylee Ivylee 2:56 pm 30 Sep 14

I can recommend someone not to use for definite – Robee from Robee’s Painting and Pergola Services.

He comes across as a lovely guy, very sweet and genuine, until you approach him with an issue or question, then its like unleashing the beast.

I’m not the kind of person who usually says anything bad about people but this was a particularly bad experience and I haven’t been the only one.

Neep Neep 12:01 pm 27 Sep 14

Ignore the comment above you most certainly do not get what you pay for. We recently had our tri level townhouse painted and we got 4 quotes. The range we were quoted was 8000 – 3000. The variation astounded us.

We went with Steven Weir at Preprite painting and I highly recommend him. He did an excellent job for the best price. We recommended him to friends who went ahead and used him as well and they too are very very happy.

dizzel88 dizzel88 3:50 pm 22 Sep 14

AnneB said :

After reading RiotACT for a long time and listening to reviews about tradies, I just wanted to follow up. I contacted Dilan from Australian Premier Painting and can’t recommend him highly enough. He turned up when he said he would (early each time), quoted very reasonably and was thoroughly professional and polite to engage with.

I also tried to receive quotes from A&R painting – Rick came and looked at the house, but couldn’t follow through with the quote as he had won a big job. No worries – we want the house painted later in the year – could you send through a formal quote of the verbal one you gave us. No quote. Chased him with an email – no response.

And as for Milan from National Capital Painters – he never bothered to show up. He had gone home early that day ‘as it was raining’ and didn’t bother to contact me to cancel the appointment. Very unimpressed.

Again, can’t recommend Dilan highly enough. Very impressive.

Thanks for your recommendation. Can I ask, Was their work impressive? and did they clean up after themselves and not leave the place in a mess? I’m finding it hard to make a decision on who to call! Help!! 🙂

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.