Recycling Disobedience

poptop 11 April 2013 48

Recycling disobedience
Really not a lot to say about this, other than I find evidence of the constant battle between the not-very-passive aggressive people and the purely lazy people to be a source of mild amusement.

I am firmly in the latter camp and so too idle to research whether the presence of evil plastic bags precludes the recycling of the goodies within. Logic dictates that a sorting process must be required and so the plastic bags could be removed at that point.

Should placing plastic bags into a mixed recycling receptacle be a capital offence?

[Got an image of Canberra you want to share with the world? Email it in to images@the-riotact.com ]

48 Responses to Recycling Disobedience
bugmenot bugmenot 5:04 pm 12 Apr 13

Jivrashia said :

Yes, it was a proper form, that is also a sticker.
The “Garden waste is not rubbish” opinion was hand written at the very bottom next to “Other reason:”.
Took a while to cleanly take it off. PITA.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. While we are at it, did the form mention a 3 strike system and/or threaten a fine for repeat offences?

Any idea on how someone determined green waste was in the bin? eg. random spot check, or some kind of sensor on the garbage truck?

Postalgeek Postalgeek 4:25 pm 12 Apr 13

Jivrashia said :

bugmenot said :

Was it just a sticker? Did you get a warning notice (or similar) from the garbage police as well?

Yes, it was a proper form, that is also a sticker.
Took a while to cleanly take it off. PITA.

pajs said :

Here’s a suggestion.

I’ve got a better one.

Why don’t you come past my place and take the garden waste with you, since you seem to claim to do a better job at it than anyone else on this thread.

Which bin are you going to put all your PITA stickers in?

Jivrashia Jivrashia 4:10 pm 12 Apr 13

bugmenot said :

Yes, it was a proper form, that is also a sticker.
Took a while to cleanly take it off. PITA.

pajs said :

Here’s a suggestion.

I’ve got a better one.

pajs pajs 4:05 pm 12 Apr 13

pajs said :

Jivrashia said :

*grass clippings
*prunings

Just to name a few…..

The last time I placed those in the bin I got a warning sticker on my wheelie.

“Garden waste is NOT rubbish”

What the…..?

I dont have a garden waste bin, i have one bin, all green, and then i get a larger bin with a yellow lid, they are both used for rubbish i no longer want/need, regardless of what it is.

Here’s a suggestion. How about you take your garden waste and either compost it in the yard or take it (free) to the Corkhills site, thereby freeing up space in your landfill bin? That would then mean you could put just recycling in your recycling bin. Sounds pretty simple, doesn’t it?

Your children will be proud of your new behaviours, I’m sure.

I would have to install a tow-bar, then hire a trailor etc. Too much effort, and costly…

However, if you have a tow bar and trailor and are happy to come pick up my greens for me, then please leave your details below….

Pretty easy and cheap to get a trashpack. Mine costs $3.30 a month if it isn’t full enough to get collected, $30 for a collection. An easy way to handle green waste, if you don’t have a tow bar or trailer. Or if you are managing to fit your green waste in your landfill bin already, try putting it into garbage bags, emptying them out for free at Corkhills and reusing the bags on your next run.

Reprobate Reprobate 3:59 pm 12 Apr 13

Looks like Pitchka will be the first against the wall once the recyclelution comes…

Wait, it’s here now: http://www.tams.act.gov.au/recycling-waste/recycle-ution

qbngeek qbngeek 3:49 pm 12 Apr 13

Masquara said :

eek – Self-Righteousness Central! I wonder how many of these purse-mouthed recyclers walk to work, demur from owning large cars, inhabit small houses, don’t buy imported food, don’t buy imported furniture, and don’t fly overseas for their holidays?

Ohh Ohh, can I answer this one….I recycle properly, I even take things from my local tip (not an ACT one obviously) that I can use to build or repair things around the house. Unfortunately I do own a big car because we needed one that could manage a fair bit of dirt road/offroad driving at the time, howeve I am about to trade it on a much smaller fuel efficient car. I live in a very small house (for a 3 bedder) with no central heating and only have lights on if absolutely required and turn everything off at the wall when not in use. I own very little imported furniture. I grow as much of my own food as possible, what I can’t grow I get locally (eggs from the local school, vegies from the farm gate, etc) and buy as little imported food as possible. I even bake my own breads, cakes, muffins, cookies and make my own chips and dips. I have water tanks for the gardens which are made from recycled chemical tanks, my compost bins and vegie gardens are made from old car and truck tyres.

I am not a holier-than-thou greenie, however I am a tight arse who discovered doing all these things was significantly cheaper and it is just a side effect it is better for the environment. Funnily enough it is much cheaper than putting solar panels on a house, and the ‘savings’ are better.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 3:44 pm 12 Apr 13

Masquara said :

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

bugmenot bugmenot 3:39 pm 12 Apr 13

Jivrashia said :

The last time I placed those in the bin I got a warning sticker on my wheelie.

“Garden waste is NOT rubbish”

What the…..?

Masquara Masquara 3:11 pm 12 Apr 13

Pitchka Pitchka 3:05 pm 12 Apr 13

pajs said :

Jivrashia said :

*grass clippings
*prunings

Just to name a few…..

The last time I placed those in the bin I got a warning sticker on my wheelie.

“Garden waste is NOT rubbish”

What the…..?

Your children will be proud of your new behaviours, I’m sure.

pajs pajs 2:55 pm 12 Apr 13

In response to the OP, no, there is not a ‘sorting process’ for Canberra’s recyclables that allows plastic bags to be opened, their contents removed and the bags extracted from the recyclables stream. Given you generally can’t see through a bag, that pulling bagged stuff out of lines is often a manual-sort, and that people tend to put things like needles in bags of rubbish, the whole bag usually goes off the line and into the landfill stream. The more bags, soft plastics or other contaminants in a bin or truckload intended for recycling, the greater the chance that the whole lot is rejected for contamination and sent off to landfill.

IrishPete IrishPete 2:55 pm 12 Apr 13

People who wont recycle, or won’t recycle according to the instructions, obviously like paying higher taxes/rates to pay the salaries of the sorters, and to pay the landfill charges for the truck-full of recyclable materials they have contaminated.

And who says Socialism is dead?

On a more positive note, the last time I smashed up a sofa to fit it in my bin, I found about $40 in change inside it, including 1c and 2c coins…

IP

pajs pajs 2:50 pm 12 Apr 13

Jivrashia said :

*grass clippings
*prunings

Just to name a few…..

The last time I placed those in the bin I got a warning sticker on my wheelie.

“Garden waste is NOT rubbish”

What the…..?

Your children will be proud of your new behaviours, I’m sure.

Tenpoints Tenpoints 2:14 pm 12 Apr 13

For the OP, who was too lazy to google four words but took the effort to photograph and upload a photo of their local recycling bin + a few sentences:

That said, it’s one thing to be a moron and ignore several official signs saying “Do not put plastic bags in this bin” but what really gets my goat is people who put massive empty boxes in the recycling thereby filling up 95% of the space. Who doesn’t enjoy stomping on boxes?

On the subject of green waste – observe: http://www.tams.act.gov.au/recycling-waste/recycling_and_waste_disposal/a-z_waste_and_recycling_guide/g#Gardengreen

Pitchka Pitchka 1:50 pm 12 Apr 13

Jivrashia said :

*grass clippings
*prunings

Just to name a few…..

The last time I placed those in the bin I got a warning sticker on my wheelie.

“Garden waste is NOT rubbish”

What the…..?

Jivrashia Jivrashia 1:10 pm 12 Apr 13

*grass clippings
*prunings

Just to name a few…..

The last time I placed those in the bin I got a warning sticker on my wheelie.

“Garden waste is NOT rubbish”

What the…..?

Pitchka Pitchka 10:51 am 12 Apr 13

Holden Caulfield said :

bd84 said :

A significant number of people are just stupid. No matter how many education campaigns they run, they will still get something as simple as recycling wrong.

Or others, like me, find the household garbage bins too small to accomodate a family of 4, paying for another bin is a blatent rip off, and but putting my household rubbish in my recycling bin, keeps people at the recycling depot employed.

Really dont give two shakes of your mums tits if my failure to recycle correctly upsets you..

I think I know you. Yeah, you’re that Wayne Kerr bloke!

Incorrect, im that Heywood Jablowme bloke…

Pitchka Pitchka 10:31 am 12 Apr 13

enrique said :

Pitchka said :

Pull ya head in you arrogant prick.

ENRIQUE…… I can be your hero baby………..I can kiss away the pain……I would stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.

Pitchka Pitchka 10:29 am 12 Apr 13

beardedclam said :

bd84 said :

I like Pitchka

I like you too…

Pitchka Pitchka 10:29 am 12 Apr 13

Oh, i think the majority of posters having hissy fits have forgotton that the following items must also be disposed of, hence my bins filling up rapidly;
*grass clippings
*prunings
*old furniture (back off, i do smash it up with a hammer first)
*old roof tiles