Refugee Camp in the City, Glebe Park until 6pm

Overheard 23 September 2008 66

Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders
Refugee Camp in your city = Canberra (specifically, Glebe Park)

Until 6pm Wednesday 24 September 2008.

Open for tours every 15 minutes, 9am to midday, then 2pm to 5pm.
Or wander through between midday and 2pm and read the placards and talk to MSF staff.
Information on MSF and refugees in general to take away BUT please note this is a “charity-mugger”-free zone.
They can’t accept cash donations due to security reasons.

www.msf.org.au/refugeecamp

WARNING: after visiting the camp, you may never post again on the RiotACT. All your piddling little concerns…. let me rephrase that. All my piddling little concerns now seem to pale into insignificance by comparison.

A harrowing and intensely emotional experience.

Suspend disbelief and go have a look. (Highly recommended for the ‘blow them out of the waters/push them back into the ocean’ brigade.)

Tags

66 Responses to Refugee Camp in the City, Glebe Park until 6pm
Overheard Overheard 4:14 pm 26 Sep 08

Ralph said :

Yeah mannnnnn….. Progressive thinkers, not blinkers and all that…..

For your information, I have a PhD.

Oh, this is just classic comedy. You can’t make stuff like that up.

Ralph, you fh: so %$#^ing what!

I’ve got a communications degree. I know some theory, and I’ve seen a lot of it in practice. I’m no expert, and I certainly don’t presume to know more than anyone else on the subject or hold myself as some model communicator.

You’ve got some sort of degree and you’ve written a thesis on (I’m guessing) some narrowly-defined topic.

Bravo! Kudos = 10. Relevance = 2.5. Oh, hang on; you said Economics. Make that 1.5.

Ralph Ralph 2:22 pm 26 Sep 08

Go ahead.

Aurelius Aurelius 2:17 pm 26 Sep 08

Ralph,
(I’ll ignore that you didn’t answer the question, and thus you sow doubts as to the veracity of your claim)
So if it’s law, and you’re advocating that we shouldn’t take refugees, then you’re advocating we break our own laws? Hey vg, Tooks and other members of the constabulary, couldn’t you charge Dr Ralph for something there? Incitement? Sedition?

Ralph Ralph 2:06 pm 26 Sep 08

Whether its law or not doesn’t make it a good idea.

Economics. What’s yours?

Aurelius Aurelius 1:45 pm 26 Sep 08

Ralph,
You couldn’t have looked up the law yourself?
Tell me Ralph, what does PhD (post 21) stand for?
What was your thesis in matey?

Ralph Ralph 1:39 pm 26 Sep 08

Really, is it? Even it was, just because ‘it’s law’, doesn’t mean that it makes sense.

The PC has good numbers on labour market outcomes for unskilled migrants, and they aren’t positive.

So it’s appropriate then that the hard earned taxes of plumbers and miners is used to support people who adopt here on discretion? Ohh that’s right, these dumb proles need educating, then they’ll know the elites are correct.

Thumper Thumper 1:30 pm 26 Sep 08

Fair enough Aurelius, I’ll have to check it out.

peterh peterh 1:24 pm 26 Sep 08

and most refugees who are unskilled bust a gut to succeed here. they are grateful that we let em in, they don’t expect much in return. and then we incarcerate the illegal immigrants in detention centres and make them feel sub standard. Illegal immigrants come here because they want a new life. some are doctors, dentists, etc, but they aren’t recognised by the australian industry bodies as such until they pass examinations.

I do not agree with incarceration in a detention centre. I do agree to sending them back from their point of origin if there is a plausible reason for doing so. (criminals especially)

refugees in other countries will sometimes join the ranks of the poor and are treated as another poverty stricken person. They get displaced by famine, war or disease, and people who once were proud members of the community are reduced to terrible conditions and lives.

I have a couple of friends from uganda. The things that they speak of from a perspective of conditions, leaving their families etc are really horrible.

Aurelius Aurelius 1:03 pm 26 Sep 08

Thumper,
Yep. I’ll not start quoting chapter and verse because I don’t have the relevant info here (I am at work after all) but it’s both Australian law and part of several UN conventions that we’re a signatory to.

Thumper Thumper 12:59 pm 26 Sep 08

I don’t know that it’s actually enshrined in law.

Obligation maybe, but law?

Is it?

Aurelius Aurelius 12:57 pm 26 Sep 08

Ralph, we accept refugees because it’s Australian law that we do. Don’t like it? Move to a country with different laws. Oh, hang on, that’d make you a refugee….

Thumper Thumper 12:54 pm 26 Sep 08

With hurricanes and spitfires and the vagaries of the weather over the English Channel.

Eyeball In A Quart Jar Of Snot Eyeball In A Quart Jar Of Snot 12:46 pm 26 Sep 08

Ralph said :

Despite your foppish attempts at trying to insult me, you still are yet to provide a single credible argument for us accepting hoardes of unskilled migrants.

How else are we supposed to protect ourselves from the Germans?

Overheard Overheard 10:34 am 26 Sep 08

Loose Brown said :

Well, it seems that the refugee camp in the city has sparked a lot of debate and discussion – therefore doing quite a good job!

Agreed + 2. That’s part of the job done…

Granny Granny 10:08 am 26 Sep 08

Yes, I agree!

Loose Brown Loose Brown 9:51 am 26 Sep 08

Overheard Overheard 9:01 am 26 Sep 08

And if you’re REALLY interested, slip your details to Johnboy and I’ll be in touch.

Three post nutbag??

Overheard Overheard 8:59 am 26 Sep 08

However, on topic, if anyone is out there who has the skill sets of an interest in migrants, gathering and recording stories and facilitation (all of mine in spades, but I’m away this weekend more’s the pity), I’m in the market for someone to help out with some Sudanese oral history collection this weekend. I’ll post more details here when I speak to their contact — I only got this call late last night as the SIMS challenge was coming to an end — but if you have half a mind to be involved with this, keep that mid to back brain.

I know lots of people in this field, but time’s not my friend (when is it?) and today could just all go pear-shaped. And I hate the taste of pears.

Overheard Overheard 8:55 am 26 Sep 08

Ralph you motor-fopper, I don’t need to and won’t.

This is a thread about MSF which is not about accepting migrants.

I have my views about the points you raised but for now I’ll keep my own counsel.

As I was telling the boys down at the ABN during one of the SIMS challenges a couple of weeks ago, I live by 27,000 guiding principles of which this is merely one:

“Never argue with an idiot. They’ll just drag you down to your level and beat you with their experience.”

I employ that to many on this site.

Have a great day, Ralph and enjoy your weekend. Really.

Ralph Ralph 8:29 am 26 Sep 08