Remembering Joe Cinque

I-filed 26 October 2010 44

Let’s not forget that 13 years ago tomorrow, in a duplex in Antill St Downer/Dickson, student Joe Cinque died at the hands of criminal narcissist law student Anu Singh – who got away scot free and failed to take responsibility to any degree.

Joe Cinque’s parents in Newcastle would probably like to know that Canberra still abhors the crime and the chilling aftermath that let him down so badly.

I was reminded to post this with the recall that the Canberra ratepayer paid all the VOC compensation for Joe’s parents, probably $100,000. Anu Singh presumably earns a living – why isn’t she required to pay the money back?

44 Responses to Remembering Joe Cinque
1 2 3 Next »
dungfungus dungfungus 12:08 pm 17 Jul 11

Anna Key said :

A sad and shameful part of Canberra’s social and legal history

This is testimony to the fact that 99% of all lawyers give the legal profession a bad name.

meagain meagain 11:30 am 17 Jul 11

Evil has a new name anu Singh. How she got away with murder is beyond comprehension ! ken crispin got it wrong the only consolation the cinques have is knowing kharma will take care if her and god will be her judge rest in peace dear Joe

rs64ej rs64ej 11:03 pm 12 Dec 10

S4anta I was going to post the same article.
+1 Anna Key.

S4anta S4anta 5:51 pm 12 Dec 10
georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 1:57 pm 01 Nov 10

It depends on whether she had a genuine disorder ro illness, or was just a whingey high maintenance pain in the ass (I’m sure we all had a mate with a girlfriend like that).

sepi sepi 1:49 pm 01 Nov 10

Trix there is a Helen Garner book about this case if you don’t feel like reading the
court documents.

There were no other extenuating circumstances for this pre-meditated murder, so the only reason Anu s got off was her personality disorder and a sympathetic judge.

trix trix 12:31 pm 01 Nov 10

Not that I know much of the background to this – obviously it’s hit some significant nerve – the fact the woman was convicted of manslaughter due to diminished responsibility and served several years in jail does not equate to getting away “scot free”.

You may consider that justice was inadequately carried out, but that happens every day. Obviously for a serious crime like this, you’d expect a bit of rigour – and a personality disorder does not usually equate to “diminished responsibility”, but I haven’t read the court records or seen the psychiatric testimony, so who knows – but she was penalised. Such as it was.

WillowJim WillowJim 9:44 pm 26 Oct 10

During the trial Singh’s lawyer presented evidence that she had narcissistic personality disorder, which differs greatly to being mentally ill. A RiotACTer will correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding of this disorder is that:

(a) like any personality disorder, it cannot be cured; and
(b) a narcissist, by definition, lacks the capacity to empathise.

So expecting Singh to show genuine remorse is pretty pointless.

Anna Key Anna Key 8:58 pm 26 Oct 10

A sad and shameful part of Canberra’s social and legal history

Pandy Pandy 7:36 pm 26 Oct 10

I doubt Anu S. will ever get a job in law.

unconventionality unconventionality 5:02 pm 26 Oct 10

There was a movie made recently called ‘The Dinner Party’ that two Canberra guys made. Brendan Sloane the Producer (Magnet Mart guy) & Scott Murden who wrote the script and directed the movie. It is based on what happened and gives a fairly accurate account, in my opinion. It shows the perspectives from all of the people that attended the dinner party including Joe’s.

It’s due to hit Australian cinemas soon.

I feel very sorry for Joe’s family and friends. It is a tragedy that this happened and even more tragic that justice couldn’t serve Anu Singh.

Beserk Keyboard Warrior Beserk Keyboard Warrior 3:32 pm 26 Oct 10

Anu Singh needs to go and play on the nearest highway.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 2:56 pm 26 Oct 10

Do you reckon she ever wrote her name as ‘Anu S’?

Tee hee. Maybe this comment should go in the thread about your friend and mine, Mr Litoris.

p1 p1 2:28 pm 26 Oct 10

Frano said :

From Wikipedia; “Singh is now writing her PhD thesis at the University of Sydney on Offending Women….”

I’m not a women, but this offends me.

davecdp said :

I reckon, her court defence included mentally ill and diminished responsibility yet she has now completed a masters in criminology!!!

Takes one to know one?

pfft pfft 1:18 pm 26 Oct 10

#3
ConanOfCooma
‘We have an outstanding justice system in this country, don’t we?’

Especially in Canberra!

Sad and unfair outcome as per usual.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 12:43 pm 26 Oct 10

“Worth noting once again that the law students present at that dinner are now practising law, and had their identities suppressed. I hope they have grown up and will spare a thought for Joe and express some regret.”

Probably not – they are lawyers after all.

And as for Singh……..gee, I’d love to meet her one day, and give her a real serve!

davecdp davecdp 12:22 pm 26 Oct 10

ConanOfCooma said :

We have an outstanding justice system in
this country, don’t we?

ConanOfCooma ConanOfCooma 11:51 am 26 Oct 10

A painful story, to say the least.

We have an outstanding justice system in this country, don’t we?

Frano Frano 11:33 am 26 Oct 10

Can’t believe Anu Singh is now continuing her studies with seemingly no remorse for her victim or family. From Wikipedia; “Singh is now writing her PhD thesis at the University of Sydney on Offending Women – Toward a Greater Understanding of Female Criminality.”

Me no fry Me no fry 11:14 am 26 Oct 10

I remember this quite clearly, and still feel (like many people, I guess) that justice was not adequately served. I feel particularly sad for Joe Cinque’s parents – their interview on Stateline (I think) a few years ago was touching.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for anyone involved to express remorse. Every single time I’ve seen Singh on tv she has managed to give me the strong impression that a) she feels hard done by and b) she got away it. As for her helper-monkey friend Rao…

I’m usually one for letting people live down past mistakes (as others have let me do) but in this case I’m not so sure.

1 2 3 Next »

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com