Ask RiotACT

Buying or selling? Get the right advice

Restaurant options for lunch on Christmas day?

By AdventureTime 17 September 2011 23

Does anyone know which restaurants will be open this year for Christmas day lunch?  We have tried the Hyatt in the past, but I think it’s over-priced for the quality of the food.  Happy to pay up to $150 per head, so long as the food is worth it.  So far I’ve found these options:

– Benchmark Wine Bar (set menu ~$125 per head)

– Rydges Lakeside (buffet ? price)

– Konoba Hotel Realm (set menu $120 per head)

– Boathouse Restaurant ($210 per head excluding drinks – too expensive!)

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated!

What’s Your opinion?

23 Responses to
Restaurant options for lunch on Christmas day?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
AdventureTime 11:14 pm 23 Sep 11

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I agree that the Boathouse is a nice venue, and the food there is good, the main problem is that some of the fussier members of my family won’t be willing to pay $210 per head. Podfood looks like a good option, though.

Megs 9:47 pm 23 Sep 11

Went to Podfood at Piallago last year. Set menu (delicious) and attentive service. Space for children to play in courtyard outside within view of parents. They don’t currently have this years’ menu & prices posted on their website but the 2010 menu is still up (likely to give you a good idea). Also did matched wines for those that wanted or by the glass for those being more restrained.

JA85 4:20 pm 20 Sep 11

I used to work at the boathouse when I was at uni. I had a quick look and noted $210 gets you a 6 course set menu meal plus chocolates to end and a small starter… Thats not too bad I guess (remembering all restaurants open Chrissy Day pay double time and a 1/2 or triple time staff wages.) The meal structure was similar when I worked there, not for everyone, but from the service point of view people didnt wait a decade to get through the whole meal (the boathouse had christmas day down to a fine art food service wise)

When I was there children were welcomed (I hope warmly). They used to offer a kids meal, at a reduced cost of course, and probably still do on inquiry as well as a vegetarian alternative for the set menu. Usually kids were given small activities to do e.g drawing etc, but no not age specific. Plus the venue location meant the older kids usually went outside and played with parents having a clear view of them from inside.

All this said, I havent worked there for years and therefore cannot comment on them now but I would doubt much has changed with their christmas day experience.

Wily_Bear 6:07 am 19 Sep 11

Jethro said :

So… are (very small) children welcome at these places on Christmas Day?

All of the establishments mentioned welcome small children, with some like the Hyatt making extra effort to entertain them. The question is, will they enjoy themselves for long enough to make the price worth it ?

Mr Waffle 12:49 am 19 Sep 11

lobster said :

KFC is open on Christmas day.

The Dickson one wasn’t when I tried to have an impromptu Japanese-style Christmas meal 🙁 (yes, it’s ‘tradition’ to eat KFC on Christmas day there- the power of advertising at work)

EvanJames 11:48 pm 18 Sep 11

johnboy said :

beats sitting alone eating pudding out of a can with your fingers though.

It’s a tough decision for those people. $210 dinner, or sitting alone eating pudding out of a can with one’s fingers? I often face this dilema. Probably many do.

i dunno. Xmas dinner at a restauranty place just isn’t right. Even if I was on my own, I’d probably cook a chook and stuff. And if you’re lonely, head to the local YHA hostel, full of people in the same boat.

lobster 10:56 pm 18 Sep 11

KFC is open on Christmas day.

Or…
Normally one of two of the clubs do a Xmas lunch but they normally only advertise closer to the event.

Jethro 9:50 pm 18 Sep 11

So… are (very small) children welcome at these places on Christmas Day?

Wily_Bear 8:12 pm 18 Sep 11

I get that the Boathouse appears to be pricey, however it manages to combine the delightful surrounds with great food and an excellent selection of wines for the drinkers. Add to that an exemplary standard of hygiene, and you are assured of a dining experience sadly lacking in Canberra. Too often it seems you have to make a choice between nice decor and good food or vice versa.
I would urge you to save your pennies for the Boathouse if possible, otherwise + 1 for Rydges Capital Hill

suemaree 6:14 pm 18 Sep 11

have been to Rydges Capital Hill a couple of time service and food always excellent, pricey but worth it,as others have said no fuss, no mess

squashee 1:44 pm 18 Sep 11

The Carrington Inn at Bungendore used to do a good Christmas lunch. IIRC it was about $150 for outside finger food, then a three course lunch indoors and alcohol included.

Only problem is you need a non-drinker to volunteer to drive, as Bungendore is stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Angelina 9:20 am 18 Sep 11

Ben_Dover said :

rodent said :

Isn’t this a topic on RA every year?

And isn’t the consensus that eating Xmas dinner in an overpriced restaurant takes any and all fun and meaning out of the event?

So….you’re saying that the meaning of xmas is eating dinner at home? I’m not sure if I believe that. I’m going to have to ask Santa.

Waiting For Godot 5:35 am 18 Sep 11

rodent said :

Isn’t this a topic on RA every year?

. . . and we always get those idiots calling the original poster selfish and saying “why don’t you volunteer to feed the less fortunate” or some other nonsense. It’s a bit like the first blowfly of Summer.

Clown Killer 11:23 pm 17 Sep 11

We love restaurant Christmas dinners. Most years, we’re on a flight out on Boxing Day off skiing in Europe or Japan so the fact that we have no mess, no fuss and still get the family together to celebrate Jesus’ birthday!

screaming banshee 8:20 pm 17 Sep 11

Xmas lunch at a restaurant is the best thing we’ve ever started and the tradition will be 6 years old for us this year. We get our family get together over and done with on Xmas eve, then have the most relaxing day. Cooked breakfast and spend all morning with the kids, go out for a fantastic feed, return home for a lazy afternoon. No prep, no mess, no relatives, it’s seriously the most serene day of the year and the effort that the staff put in on the day means its worth every cent……well maybe not $210, but everywhere is reasonable.

As for where to go, we went to Courgette last year and it was great, before that it was First Floor but they’re gone. If you’re in Brissy on the day I assure you that you will not be disappointed at Joseph Alexander’s.

AdventureTime 1:30 pm 17 Sep 11

Ben_Dover said :

rodent said :

Isn’t this a topic on RA every year?

For those of us who have to work over the Christmas period it’s a convenient way to enjoy a nice meal with your family without the hassle of shopping, cooking and cleaning up afterwards 🙂

Ben_Dover 1:06 pm 17 Sep 11

johnboy said :

beats sitting alone eating pudding out of a can with your fingers though.

You’ve not met my family Johnboy.

johnboy 12:52 pm 17 Sep 11

beats sitting alone eating pudding out of a can with your fingers though.

and christmas comes around once a year I’ve come to understand.

Ben_Dover 12:27 pm 17 Sep 11

rodent said :

Isn’t this a topic on RA every year?

rodent 11:26 am 17 Sep 11

Isn’t this a topic on RA every year?