Lifestyle

Thinking about your business
Is a big part of ours

RiotACT Drinks/Banter Get Together

By Danman - 24 June 2008 81

It has been suggested in another thread that us Rioter’s have a bit of a chin wag over a brew or dozen at a location yet to be decided.

I took the initiative and have decided to start a thread regarding this.

Usually we rock up to ABN in O’connor, but I was thinking that maybe this time we can have a change of venue so those who consider themselves a little bit adventurous can step outside the square and visit another watering hole that is outside their norm.

I would like to float the idea of a get together, plenty of drinks and possible dinner @ the George Harcourt Inn

Of course everything will be pretty casual as it is there, no pressure to eat or whatever, maybe even just show up for a beer or 2.

In the following week or so we can float the idea of various watering holes if people want, but if its not the George, ill happily hand over logistics to the first person who suggests another venue.

Anywho, as it stands, I suggest 1800 (that’s hours, 6pm for the non militants) at the George Harcourt Inn, located at 3 Gold Creek Road Nicholls.

Fri 4th July?

What does everyone else think ?

What’s Your opinion?

81 Responses to
RiotACT Drinks/Banter Get Together
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
qwerky 9:33 pm 09 Jul 08

ant said :

Well, someone needs to name a venue. And nominate a volunteer to bring the R. Did we end up finding out if there was a good breakkie place in Kingston (or surrounds)?

Well, perhaps that ‘someone’ could be you, Ant! Or neanderthalsis? I’m in for Waters Edge breakfast if someone else organises it this time (as long as there’s no embarrassing RA logo on the table in this posh place). All you need to do is book a table in a made-up surname, and if everyone knows that name, they just ask for it and are directed to that table by the staff (if someone doesn’t recognise them first). Or someone wears a hat or beanie or something. Much less embarrassing than a logo on the table, forsooth!
So when’s it to be, Ant? After all, you’re a Veteran Rioter, as your stats so proudly proclaim…

neanderthalsis 10:15 am 07 Jul 08

The Waters Edge does a good breakfast / brunch at reasonable prices.

ant 11:51 pm 06 Jul 08

Overheard 12:39 pm 06 Jul 08

peter@home said :

Hey overheard, do you know any of the guys from the black billy band at all? one of my relatives was in canberra for a while, contracting to DOD, he was a mean squeeze box player, and had a great voice.

my stepfather plays the jews harp as well, but he moved to SA….

The name definitely rings a bell but I fear they may have been before my time. Might know the individuals; folkies tend to be in about two to 27 bands at any given time.

Or maybe I’m getting it mixed up with a venue/gathering that used to be called ‘Black Billy’s’. Someone was bending my ear about it one night in a session, but the occupational hazard with having D&M/life-changing conversations in sessions is that Mr Cooper and/or Mr Guinness tend to rinse many of the details away by the following morning.

One of my choirs does a pretty mean version of ‘My Old Black Billy’ from Reedy River.

Oh, and back on topic, I’m a breakfast fan too. Next Saturday morning I’m in town is Saturday 26 July if anyone’s up for then. Or Saturday 16 August.

ant 10:17 am 06 Jul 08

Huh! That’s why I was nagging about having some “proper” form of ID for teh Riotact group. It’s not hard, you can have a R or something. I hate turning up to internet meets and having to go around the establishment asking people a silly question (and for a lot of us, it’s not feasible to do that).

Breakfast is good! I like breakfast.

qwerky 10:33 pm 05 Jul 08

Gungahlin Al said :

Good to meet a few of the faces last night. Need a banner next time for ID. Almost bailed myself before fluking the group.

Good to meet you all last night. Sorry I couldn’t last longer; I was SSSSOOOOOOO cold! Next time I’ll have my polar fleece in the car. I’m impressed with the brave souls who came up and asked if we were RA-ers, because we looked like a motley lot! I had a bit more help, thanks to Overheard and his muffled RA call! See you at the next gig, which might be breakfast again perhaps?

peter@home 9:13 pm 05 Jul 08

Overheard said :

For anyone who missed drinks at the GH (and for anyone who didn’t), there’s the monthly free Monaro Folk Society Club Night on at the Old Canberra Inn this Weednesday night (9 July) from 7pm. Usually a good night, it’s warm (with the log fire blazing), and as mentioned, it’s free. I’ve been known to have a warble. Qwerky and I once did a duet that was immediately taken out the back and put down — my fault: warmed up on one note, started on another.

Anyhoo, if anyone’s interested, I’ll be there. (Dressed in black with a salt and pepper beard.) http://www.monarofolk.org.au/musicf.htm

my stepfather plays the jews harp as well, but he moved to SA….

Aeek 8:50 pm 05 Jul 08

It wasn’t as busy the week before, takes yer luck.

Mælinar 6:31 pm 05 Jul 08

It was busy enough when I was there at 5. Couldn’t make it through to 6.

che 4:50 pm 05 Jul 08

Sorry we missed you FabForty.
I guess it didn’t help that after being outside, when we moved inside we ended up right back in the furthest corner. I didn’t realize the George Harcourt would be so busy on a Friday night.

Overheard 1:35 pm 05 Jul 08

Gungahlin Al 12:39 pm 05 Jul 08

Danman 11:51 am 05 Jul 08

or.. it did

Try This Link

Danman 11:50 am 05 Jul 08

Damn straight – I like live photography….Done some great Matty Ellis pics a while back – and buble more recently..

My user name here links to my pictures 🙂

Overheard 11:38 am 05 Jul 08

Nice to see those there who were there. Sorry to have to race off early to the gig (Glenn Cardier); playing one of the guy’s tracks on Artsound on Wednesday at about 7.45am for anyone who can drag themselves away from 2CA for ten minutes!

Also, Danman, I meant to mention: while I’m not in your photographic league, my flickr ID is ovhrprod — mostly music festivals and musos if you’re interested in having a look.

missjill 11:17 am 05 Jul 08

Oh bummer. Forgot all abouttit. 2CA t-shirt will have to wait for another outing. Come on then, give us the goss. Who got sloshed? What did you talk about? Hilarious if fabforty was the only one that turned up with a fancy bow-tie. 🙂 Where and when is the southside outing?

fabforty 11:09 am 05 Jul 08

I rocked up but had no way of recognising anyone. Sadly, I had one drink and went home. Nice pub, though. What happened to the Grassby tie idea ?

Danman 10:32 am 05 Jul 08

Cheers to the usual suspects that rocked up – good also to see some new faces.
Hope all goes well for the southside congregation 🙂

Thumper 12:10 pm 04 Jul 08

Damn,

I shaved my furry chops off last week

Either that or they escaped at night and are now living in my garden 😉