RiotACT server upgrade underway

johnboy 20 September 2008 64

For the last few weeks we’ve been the victims of our ever-escalating popularity. Our poor server has been spitting out database error messages as often as not, groaning under the increasing weight of all your visits.

In response to this we’ve now lashed out on a dual quad core (so yes eight cores) beast from HP with redundant doodads up the wazoo and 8Gb of RAM (with room for much more). Back when we started in 2000 a machine like this would have come with a team of men in white coats.

We hope it will see us through to complete media domination in Canberra with a start made into the rest of the world.

It’s currently being brought up to speed and we hope to have it up and running in a week or so.

So just stay patient and it will all be better soon. We promise.

64 Responses to RiotACT server upgrade underway
peterh peterh 12:21 pm 22 Sep 08

johnboy said :

Well if you’re just crap-stirring for your own amusement consider this your final warming prior to moderation.

kthxby

Point Taken JB, will behave myself now.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 12:03 pm 22 Sep 08

What does KTHXBY mean JB?

@peterh: I take your point and don’t blame you mate 😉

johnboy johnboy 11:25 am 22 Sep 08

kthxby

peterh peterh 11:25 am 22 Sep 08

tylersmayhem said :

Yeah PeterH I noticed all of that – and I was just stirring as I ALWAYS do. JB is so easy and not just a little bit amusing to wind up.

As for your comments about servers, and the correct storage and operation of them – your comments of “it will be installed into a METAL rack – d’uh…” are probably more worthier of JB’s personal abuse than mine.

…and yes – I am very relieved to hear that it will be stored in a data centre.

Tylers,

sorry, currently coding 7x batches of 85 price lines – starting to lose plot, needed comic relief.

And I thought I didn’t need to do tenders any more. sigh.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 10:47 am 22 Sep 08

…and yes – I am very relieved to hear that it will be stored in a data centre.

peterh peterh 10:36 am 22 Sep 08

tylersmayhem said :

Ah, JB – it that a metal filing cabinet I see your new server sitting on? And, is there actually anything cooling the unit (other than the standard internal fans)? I hope you have your wallet ready for another server – unless it is actually sitting on something anti-static (that we can’t see in the photo) and your A/C is on full blast in summer.

Tylers, there aren’t any blanking panels, the server has a clear access at the back, it would be very cool – and anti static??

it will be installed into a METAL rack – d’uh…

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 10:18 am 22 Sep 08

…and just when I was considering becoming a paid subscriber now that RA are finally upgrading their servers to stop database errors.

JB: I’d like to think that every soap-box forum has different characters on there. I happen to be an opinionated, sarcastic and skeptical poster on this site. What I would have thought by now is that you could rise above “my opinion” and just get on and run the site without getting personally upset and flinging personal insults when I direct a pointed question or opinion. According to some replies to points I raise – other posters do occasionally agree with my views – most just ignore them, which is fine by me.

peterh peterh 10:04 am 22 Sep 08

johnboy said :

God TM, don’t you ever get tired of being such an unpleasant half-wit?

That’s not the final installation (d’uh), it’s off to a datacentre after configuration.

so, transact, here it comes??

johnboy johnboy 9:31 am 22 Sep 08

God TM, don’t you ever get tired of being such an unpleasant half-wit?

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 9:20 am 22 Sep 08

peterh peterh 9:09 am 22 Sep 08

Kramer said :

The main reason for HP is that I work with their hardware on a daily basis, and have found it to be pretty solid.

The new storage config is 4 x 73GB 15K SFF (2.5″) SAS drives in RAID 1+0 with an online spare. The current box has mirrored 80GB hard drives, so the new server with 140GB should be plenty for a while. So as much as I would like to see Riot running on a full spec EVA8100, it doesn’t really need it right now.

I believe HP sorted the issues with the SCSI cables it the DL380 G3, but not before it had burnt a few people (me included – although our resller kindly sorted us out).

The DL 380 G5 is a pretty sweet box – red fans & PSUs standard; little diag panel on the front; kick arse quad core intels; plenty of room for extra RAM; integrated dual TOE NICs; and very cheap pricing – no wonder they sell heaps (HP – I expect a cheque in the mail by the end of the week :-).

thanks kramer, especially about the cable. that was always a stumbling point for me. did they throw in a decent UPS at the same time?

Kramer Kramer 9:05 am 22 Sep 08

peterh peterh 8:52 am 22 Sep 08

rephlex said :

damnit, I meant: we want pics of penguins on boot damnit! =)

what, like Tux for all??

rather the suse geeko.

peter@home peter@home 1:51 am 22 Sep 08

Felix the Cat said :

peter@home said :

Kramer said :

Fiona – depends which men in white coats… Are you talking about the ones who hang around in cold, noisy rooms with big computers? If you are then, I’ll let you know we wear black T-shirts or polo shirts these days… As for the other guys, I’ll continue to keep them afar.

BTW – for the hardware nerds: the new box is a HP DL380 G5, with dual quad-core 2.6GHz cpus, and 8GB RAM.

how many HDD’s? what type? any plans for a san or nas? why did you guys go with HP?

now, that is a hardware nerd response – oh and the DL380 series, did they ever fix the 2 drive cage connector cable issue? – the one that the configuraider doesn’t tell you about? I wonder…..

Giganerd! Have you got the right flux capacitor?

no idea. but i sold many DL380’s over the years, and always got caught out over a $50 cable that the configuraider a tool HP / compaq use to build before you buy would never put in the config. I got wise to it really quickly.

DL380 servers are the workhorse of the HP brand, great box with very basic expansion path. I now prefer IBM servers, the fan and power options are far superior….

and I don’t sell PC hardware at all these days, only networking and storage.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 9:06 pm 21 Sep 08

Jazz said :

Weighted average voting!
Oh, and more beer giveaways.

Jazz Jazz 8:07 pm 21 Sep 08

Primal said :

johnboy said :

We’re not planning on redesigning a site read by thousands on the whims of one.

How many then? Six?

It would probably take a lot more than that Primal. We collect lots of information about how people use the site from where they click and how long people stay on particular pages in addition to how I and my fellow overlords would like to see the site operate. You may recall that we opened up the research into the current design around this time 12-14 months ago to get anecdotal as well as statistical feedback on The RiotACT you’d like to see. The current design is the result of a balancing act between what we wanted to achieve and the resources available to us at the time. Too much change tends to alienate people and too little means you stagnate. We are always open to feedback and ideas & who knows, maybe we’ll be able to find a place for them in our next release.

recondite said :

I reckon the design is about right. I’m surprised to hear that Riot is hosted locally though.

Why so Recondite? We could prob host offshore but it would be a little contrary to Riot’s intent to support the local community/businesses. We’ll always try to support local businesses with our patronage where we can.

Felix the Cat Felix the Cat 3:52 pm 21 Sep 08

peter@home said :

Kramer said :

Giganerd! Have you got the right flux capacitor?

peter@home peter@home 3:28 pm 21 Sep 08

Kramer said :

Overheard Overheard 2:34 pm 21 Sep 08

All the suggestions are probably made with good intentions (though you know where good intentions will take you), but just out of interest alone (no judgement involved), are you who people making the suggesions premium members?

Just to draw a very tenuous connection, a sort-of family member of mine has been in this country for 57 years and still remains a citizen of her native land in Europe. So whenever she has a whinge about anything the Government’s doing, I think (but usually don’t say) why not become a citizen and vote.

Now I know that’s a long bow, and a direct comparison isn’t valid, but I sort of understand the ‘sniping from the peanut gallery’ comment.

Region Group Pty Ltd