Community

Quality childcare in a
welcoming & supportive environment

RIP Lindsay the Northbourne window washer

By Barcham - 8 November 2013 153

Lindsey

We just received this photo from Mattenager:

“I saw this memorial at the intersection of Northbourne Ave and Barry Dr last night. Having passed through these lights earlier that yesterday I noticed it wasn’t the usual squeegee guy working that corner. I was just interested if Lindsey was the well known fella who had been working this corner for years? He mightn’t have been the most approachable looking person but I can’t recall a time I drove through these lights that he wasn’t there. A bit sad if it was him I think as he had become a bit of an icon of Canberra really.”

He is correct, Lindsey was the man who worked that corner for years. We’ve have heard it from a few sources that say Lindsey has sadly passed away.

We don’t have any more details at the moment.

What’s Your opinion?

153 Responses to
RIP Lindsay the Northbourne window washer
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
KB1971 10:52 am 11 Nov 13

Robertson said :

Good comment. Our society seems to have gone off on a tangent where very poor values (aiding and abetting the mafia/ being a dropkick junkie) are not publicly reviled, whereas good values (discipline in school/tough sentencing for criminals) are ignored.

Is this a contradiction of terms? Considering your own lack of ethics?

Gungahlin Al 10:41 am 11 Nov 13

Sheesh what a thread.

He was a man with his life on a bad track who demonstrated (on his own terms) to everyone prepared to open their minds that he was prepared to turn up and work long hard hours, in all sorts of conditions, every single day.

He may or may not have been supporting a current addiction, but at least he paid his own way rather than taking routes that caused harm to others.

It’s that sort of cred that people are recognising.

Robertson 10:16 am 11 Nov 13

Mr Evil said :

The great toilet of life flushes another turd out of the system, and our Chief Minister sings his praises.

Mind you, ACT Labor built a statue to commemorate another turd – the ‘great’ Al Grassby – so I won’t be surprised if they decide they should probably waste a few thousand more making a statue for the ‘wonderful’ Lindsay.

rosscoact 9:20 am 11 Nov 13

gentoopenguin said :

I guess entrance to the funeral will be by gold coin donation only…

That’s pretty good! 😀

As opposed to DUB who is apparently just a nitwit

DUB 8:37 am 11 Nov 13

Wow, having just read all 5 pages of comments (talk about competition to cyclists vs. cars threads), as well as comments to the article in CT, here’s what I think:
Those politically correct f wits, defending deceased junkie, must be morbidly obese and lazy (as I suspected).
I never, ever let my windscreen get dirty, I have a squeegee and every 2-3 days it only takes me 30 seconds or so (up to 45 seconds) to clean my own windscreen. Not hard at all, then again, I like my car to be clean and shiny.

On one unfortunate occasion this dude (RIP), who did not take “NO” for answer (car wash fully washed and cleaned earlier that day), made such a filthy mess of my windscreen that I had to pull over and spray it clean myself, as I could not see anything.

I assume that all these posters defending the junkie will attend the funerals, can’t wait for the report on pages of RiotAct (with photos).

gentoopenguin 7:44 am 11 Nov 13

I guess entrance to the funeral will be by gold coin donation only…

DrKoresh 9:47 pm 10 Nov 13

Innovation said :

How very true, despite the denial of people like Pantsman.

460cixy 9:00 pm 10 Nov 13

I wouldn’t be taking too much notice of our local keyboard hero/troll he has an opinion on everyone and everything it used to just be amusing now its just sad

Deborah 7:30 pm 10 Nov 13

If this thread continues much longer the team behind RA will be gold plating a squidgee for a Lindsay Award.

As for the original post I found the man to be intimidating, aggressive and annoying. After I had a run in with him when he sloshed dirty water over my car that I had just had detailed in Braddon I avoided the intersection altogether.

Despite my personal feelings for the man if I met someone who knew him I would still say I was sorry for their loss. – and mean it.

Innovation 4:41 pm 10 Nov 13

Lindsey and others are not to blame here. They have just availed themselves of an opportunity permitted by the ACT Government. I think the risk of injury to these guys is too high, the risk of attack either against or by a future window washer is too high, the practice occasionally disrupts traffic, and the activity is creating a cash economy that avoids tax, often still allows welfare payments and supports the drug industry.

This is one charity type that I will not support in any way. I refuse offers to clean my windscreen, of a fashion, and, touch wood, I now appear to have worked out how to rebuff the persistent ones.

It has been good to read both positive and negative stories of Lindsey’s life. To me, Lindsey was one of the nicer window washers that I have come across, although I’m not surprised that others may have been less fortunate.

Lindsey doesn’t strike me as someone who would have wanted to be idolised but very few people in history deserve to be trashed as badly as some here have done about him. Those people sound like they live very sheltered lives, are completely devoid of empathy and/or are more worried about the (de)valuation of their car than the quality of another human life. Anyone outside of Canberra reading RA might well assume that the volume of such negative comments is a very poor reflection on Canberra as a whole.

Proboscus 4:28 pm 10 Nov 13

ML-585 said :

Proboscus said :

I am merely stating facts:

• The deceased was a junkie. And it’s true – those of you who handed him loose change probably contributed to his demise. Maybe some of you are feeling guilty about this and are building his myth to make yourselves feel better?

• I described the deceased as a POS because he used to piss and s*** on Northbourne Avenue. Nuff said.

Is there a new definition of FACT that I’m unaware of? The above “facts” look more like ill-informed opinions to me (or “bulls***” for want of a better word).

Where is your proof to support your FACT that he was a junkie? (Unless you were his drug dealer, you can’t possibly know.) Where is any evidence that he defecated on Northbourne Ave?

By not putting my whole comment on I guess we agree that he was a mediocre window washer?

My proof that he was a junkie? Apply for an FOI from Corrective Services and find out yourself.

And the proof he urinated and defecated on Northbourne Avenue? Many eyewitness accounts (including myself). If you want to see his mess, it shouldn’t be too hard to find (unless some over zealous souvenir hunters have collected all of his waste, you may still be able to put in a bid on his poo on eBay).

Ten_Inches 4:01 pm 10 Nov 13

what a bunch of miserable kids you all are. 12 years old behave better….than all of you!

Masquara 3:48 pm 10 Nov 13

ML-585 said :

Proboscus said :

I am merely stating facts:

Puh-lease – cut the revisionism. He was a hard-hardcore, longterm junkie. I could post the address of his main dealer in Dickson – but the police are already fully aware of it.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 3:39 pm 10 Nov 13

DrKoresh said :

lostinbias said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Bogan mentality. Respect needs to be earned. When a human trash dies, they are still human trash, but now dead human trash.

I suppose anyone who doesn’t live a lifestyle that you approve of is human trash then, mate? Referring to common human decency as a “bogan mentality” really says a lot about you. You speak from an elitist mentality. Maybe it’s not everybody else who is the problem. Maybe you should take a minute between guffawing at posts on “Things Bogans Like” and have a look at yourself and some of the vile values you so constantly spew on this website.

I’m not asking you to proclaim Lindsay as a hero, I know many people have negative experiences of him. Still, he had a partner and he had a family, and if you get off on figuratively dancing on the graves of dead men, or endorsing those that do, then I really wonder how you get to sleep at night. Hopefully your wall will crumble someday.

+100-

Pull your bloody head in, CGN, you’re behaviour is disgusting.

My…my behavior?

DrKoresh 2:50 pm 10 Nov 13

lostinbias said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

+100- Pull your bloody head in, CGN, you’re behaviour is disgusting.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 1:37 pm 10 Nov 13

Very Busy said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Very Busy said :

Proboscus said :

I am not a keyboard warrior. I have not threatened anyone and I am certainly not hiding behind my PC.

I am merely stating facts:

• The deceased was mediocre, even terrible, at his “job”.

• The deceased is not worthy of praise by people in government or the local rag when he contributed nothing to the Territory. Such praise should go to people who deserve it.

I’m happy to discuss any of my comments on this subject with those of you who disagree with the facts.

Another fact:

It is incredibly rude, arrogant and disrespectful to be stating those facts at this time.

Why?

If you need to ask that question I would be wasting my time giving you the answer.

And I will take that as meaning you have no answer.
Cheers.

ML-585 1:37 pm 10 Nov 13

Proboscus said :

I am merely stating facts:

Very Busy 10:34 am 10 Nov 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Very Busy said :

Proboscus said :

I am merely stating facts:

• The deceased was mediocre, even terrible, at his “job”.

Another fact:

Why?

tommo 10:09 am 10 Nov 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

tommo said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

and comments like this are how respect is lost.

You do not like dealing in facts?

You take this ‘facts’ thing too far. I think it is up to you to tell us how one definitively labels another person as ‘human trash’ based upon a clear and widely accepted definition which is in no way subjective and is completely removed from your own opinions and experiences.

Masquara 10:07 am 10 Nov 13

Speaking of these types, how is Marian Watson doing these days? I actually last saw her at Lindsay’s very street corner a few years ago having a chat with him through the passenger window.