Ripped off in a carpark, who cares

The Naddiks 1 October 2010 95

To : Airport Management
Cc: Canberra Times
Bcc : The RiotAct
Bccc: Unsuspecting BBP carpark users

Bcccc: anyone who will listen to a grumpy, upset whinning guy who is an Aussie battler trying to make the next payment on his over-priced house and gets ripped off on a daily basis.

This afternoon (Friday 1/10/10) at about 5pm, after a long arduous day at work in one of your semi-functional buildings at Brindabella Business Park, I was informed by one of your staff, a very ‘symapthetic’ bald gentleman that the weekly ticket I had paid $22:50 for on Tuesday (a nice little rise of another $2:50 per week by your airport group not so long ago – thankyou for that one) was not valid to exit the carpark with because I had, in a panic, taken a new ticket on entry to the carpark when I couldn’t find my weekly ticket and had a line-up of impatient motorists building behind me also attempting to gain access to your wonderful facility.

He (the bald carpark attendant) explained in a monotone voice that I would need to purchase a new ticket for $5:50 so I could get OUT of the carpark as those were the terms and conditions of entry….? I asked him where these terms and conditions were actually highlighted so unsuspecting suckers/motorists such as myself would be aware of such all-encompassing regulations and he simply stared at me with one of those ‘I’m not going to even attempt to explain that one’ sort of expressions that occur upon employees of the calibre who can only gain employment in carparks.

I therefore paid the additional $5:50 to get out because I couldn’t be bothered arguing with a bald robotic paraphrasing person and continued – no thanks to you – on my way home. However, realising that I had been forced into paying additional funds for my release from your facility, when, in truth, I had done nothing wrong started to weigh heavily upon my sense of fair play and common decency. In fact, by the time I actually got home, I was really infuriated by the whole ridiculous affair and decided to write this letter in the naive hope that you would;

a) Warn other drivers that they would incur a $5:50 fine for not using their weekly ticket.

b) Stop hiring people who so nicely advise you that they’ve got you by the balls and there’s nothing you can do about it.

c) Have some common courtesy towards your paying customers if they make a silly mistake like forgetting where they’ve put they’re weekly ticket, then found it again AFTER gaining access to your carpark – why not do something basically humane, like, give them a break and finally, just to re-inforce this one a little…

d) Stop hiring people who so nicely advise you that they’ve got you by the balls and there’s nothing you can do about it…..ooh – don’t get me wrong, he was very professional and courteous – in fact, I think you should probably fast track his career to … well, wherever you can get to as a car park thingy…

Regards

The battler

95 Responses to Ripped off in a carpark, who cares
Wraith Wraith 8:42 pm 03 Oct 10

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
– Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
– Why the early bird gets the worm
– Life isn’t always fair
– and maybe it was my fault..

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies

(don’t spend more than you can earn)

and reliable strategies

(adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place –

Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate;

teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch;

and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death,

by his parents, Truth and Trust,

by his wife, Discretion,

by his daughter, Responsibility,

and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I’m A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone

If you still remember him, pass this on.If not, join the majority and do nothing. An Obituary printed in the New York Times-

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 8:12 pm 03 Oct 10

willy said :

I would hate to read the bullsh!t you would post if you got a speeding ticket.

this is a different situation to a Speeding Fine. This is ‘fee for service’, not a fine for stoopidity. The Naddiks had the ticket, just couldn’t produce it to validate it *on entry*, but had it on exit. Just ’cause the machine didn’t validate the card on entry, it couldn’t allow exit. Even taking in to account the conditions of entry (at least those published above), the ticket should have been accepted/acceptable. In addition, the management has the authority to overwrite the ‘authority’ of the machinery – and bloody well should have. Nobody reads those T&Cs, because they expect a “fair go” (this is parking cars FFS, not borrowing money from a bank). You know, “Parking cars – what else does one do in a carpark?”.

IMHO – The situation is far more akin to going into a coffee shop, buying a coffee, then remembering you had your *loyalty* card, and asking them to stamp the bugger. Most coffee shops would do that, because they know your a (at least semi-) regular… It’s called customer service… some people might remember that concept. It was quite clear that The Naddiks was a regular (as says the card in their possession). The pricks just know they have you by the short and curlies; ’cause where else are you gunna go at BOP/Snowtown?

I’ll bet not a single poster here has read the T&Cs posted at a carpark prior to entry (at least, not while waiting at the entry for the ticket to pop out) – because you all have the reasonable expectation that you’ll receive a fair go…

The Naddiks The Naddiks 6:47 pm 03 Oct 10

Well, I suppose this thread is now truly dead. It was an interesting weekend and chat with a wide range of very interesting people, some of you got quite emotional, just like I did on Friday and it was all over nothing really….yes – it’s all my fault! I suppose I got what I deserved, some good and some not so good feedback. Yes I admit, on the surface it all looked pathetic and a total waste of time(‘just another Latte’), and, in hindsight, I have to say I was wrong to have had a go at the parking attendant – for that, I do apologise, he was just doing his job. Some of you told me I was stupid, small minded, a princess, pathetic and non-cognisant(shite that word makes me laugh)… but some of you also told me I was right, that we shouldn’t get ripped off and just take it up the kazoo no matter what the $$$s, as it’s about principle.
What I did truly learn is that there will always be people who just accept another slap on the face, especially if it comes from a big corporation and think it is ok, there are even some who like to laugh at the person who cops it. But on the brighter side, there are many who will stand up for their rights and who support others who have been punched yet again, good on you and before this becomes a presential speach I would say to each and every one of you: If it’s a Friday and somebody seems to be trying to ruin your day, just take it on the chin and smile…….no – BUGGER that!

willy willy 5:18 pm 03 Oct 10

Dude, I cant believe you have just spent the whole weekend on this site championing your crusade. If a $5.50 ticket gets you this worked up I would hate to read the bullsh!t you would post if you got a speeding ticket.

I suppose you were after a barrage of I’ve been ripped off too hi-fives to make the world right again and when they did not come as hard and as fast as you would have liked, you kept going like a true little battler.

vg vg 3:11 pm 03 Oct 10

“you don’t happen to work in a carpark and have no hair ….?”

I don’t know, but you type on the internet and have no brain so call yourselves square

The Naddiks The Naddiks 2:57 pm 03 Oct 10

grunge_hippy said :

the fact that you felt the need to reply to nearly everyone who disagreed with you show how much of a whingy miser you really are.

While I agree, the parking attendant could have shown some sympathy, he was doing his job. A job I’m sure he is THRILLED with as a career choice. He probably puts up with 100’s of people like you on a weekly basis who try and get out of paying somehow. You may have had a valid claim, but how many people don’t? Would he lose his job by letting the odd one slide now and then? Who knows.

You put your rant on here, expect to get torn apart. Especially when it is as facetious as this.

you don’t happen to work in a carpark and have no hair ….?

The Naddiks The Naddiks 2:52 pm 03 Oct 10

Gerry-Built said :

beautiful piece of writing…

I think you are quite right to be a little agitated about the situation. You had the correct ticket when you wanted to leave, but because the machine didn’t validate it in the AM, they made you pay for a day of parking – that’s bloody rotten. Surely their machines are not beyond working this one out – even if the staff (obviously) are. Where’d the customer service go? A lot more than $5.50 damage has just been done to Brindabella Office Park on this site – a bit of customer service would have avoided it…

Interesting to see if terms and conditions are made more readily available as a result… although it is unlikely anyone will ever read them before entry (so situation ‘normal’).

Thanks mate – we’re on the same wavelength – service is important, not big corporations with hidden rules/contract and agendas…I can’t wait to get outta that place !

The Naddiks The Naddiks 2:49 pm 03 Oct 10

I-filed said :

Naddiks you should have written a nice letter to management asking them for a refund of the $5.50 under the circumstances. I’m sure they would have done so in keeping with standard customer care. Your classist rant at and insult for the poor parking attendant I’m afraid makes you “in the wrong” rather than “wronged” no matter what the ins and outs of the problem.

classism? wronged? Yes, I take your point, but I’ve been a brickies labourer and an office worker, and it never stopped me from giving another person a break if they admitted to a simple mistake. Yes it was a rant on my behalf, but I feel a whole lot better now :]

Jethro Jethro 2:09 pm 03 Oct 10

Anna Key said :

The Naddiks said :

gtim108 said :

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY & LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

2. Entry to this car park is only available via:
(a) a casual ticket received prior to entry;
(b) a pre-paid ticket; or
(c) a pass card issued to you by Canberra Airport.

3. Any exit without a valid and paid ticket or pass card may result in additional parking and administration fees being levied against you.

10. You agree to:
(a) produce and display when requested by us, your valid parking ticket or pass card as proof of payment of the parking fee;
(b) not to cause any obstruction;
(c) not to park anywhere that we designate as a no parking area; and
(d) not to use this car park other than in accordance with instructions that an authorised officer may give.

Wow: notice the quote you gave was via an internet url – I didn’t have my laptop on me at the time of entry and read these terms and conditions – nor was this on the back of my ticket – so thanks for proving my point

Wouldn’t producing the weekly parking ticket satisfy clause 10. It doesn’t say it has to be the same ticket

I thought the same thing. I can’t see anything in that quote that prohibits him from using his weekly ticket to exit the carpark.

el el 12:46 pm 03 Oct 10

Yebbut Skid, he’s a self-proclaimed ‘battler’, so it couldn’t possibly be anyone’s fault except…someone else. Perspective be damned.

And ’cause he’s a ‘battler’ that also makes insulting the parking guy and his occupation totally OK.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 12:16 pm 03 Oct 10

respective?
Perspective.

Anna Key Anna Key 11:14 am 03 Oct 10

The Naddiks said :

gtim108 said :

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY & LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

2. Entry to this car park is only available via:
(a) a casual ticket received prior to entry;
(b) a pre-paid ticket; or
(c) a pass card issued to you by Canberra Airport.

10. You agree to:
(b) not to cause any obstruction;
(c) not to park anywhere that we designate as a no parking area; and

But thanks for the High Court reference. Is this the same scenario as the government IT systems that tell you not to log on unless you agree to the IT security policy, which can be found on the intranet?

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 11:14 am 03 Oct 10

The Naddiks said :

Its a direct copy of the wall of text you drove past without reading.
Remember the big white sign, next to the entry of every private car park, and also next to the ticket machines?
Think of it as being similar to the software End User License Agreement that everybody skips through but nobody reads.

You don’t like the contract, you can either not agree to it, or find the escape clauses and exercise them.

PS: “I once paid extra money to park my own car, conveniently close to my upper-middle class workplace, next to an airport, which is only 30 minutes from my own home” is very much a first world problem, and a trivial one at that.
Maybe you could just take a deep breath, relax a bit, and get some respective?

I-filed I-filed 10:30 am 03 Oct 10

The Naddiks The Naddiks 9:44 am 03 Oct 10

KB1971 said :

Rather pay for Mr Snow to get more rich & stop you from gettin “ripped off” you could ride your pushy to work.

If that is past you ability, park at Russell or Campbell for free & ride to Snowtown.

You & your body will feel better for it. Before you say “oh I can’t do that because…..blah, blah” really think about it, thousands of other people like myself do it every day all over the country, even the Premier of NSW does it.

I refuse to pay for parking at Snowtow since they stopped people doing pick ups at the terminal, I use the in & put in a few minutes I stead.

People really are married to their cars….

Your right – I do love my car, I just can’t help it….Don’t Canberran motorists scare you guys on your pushies?

The Naddiks The Naddiks 9:41 am 03 Oct 10

Mulberry said :

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

You can live in this world:

“Sorry mate, couldn’t find my pass this morning. Here it is.”
“Oh. I see you’ve paid for parking for the week. These things happen. Enjoy your evening.”
“Thanks mate, see you next week.”

Or you can live in the world of the sad little f*ckers posting here tonight – small minds with small ideas just perfect for a career in a small booth pushing small buttons. That goes triple for you, arescarti42, you special, special waste of oxygen. Quick, run home and tell all your friends you pointed out a typo on the internet.

…Oh. Well, you know you’re awesome, and that’s what counts. I bet we all think twice about posting online now that we know you’re watching.

Brilliant post!!
Paid parking sucks – but there is nothing much any of us can do about that! But to have paid for parking and then have made such a small human error such as misplacing your ticket and then having someone who has absolutley no empathy – no sence of humanity, what a load of BS! I’d be whinging too!! Paid parking is a frigging joke – and alot of us struggle to afford such “small” things believe it or not!! What ever happened to a bit of understanding between people!!

Obviousley the car-park employee who was “doing his job” was just over it or case-hardened and thats what sucks, he’s probably been ripped off that many times that he doesnt give a stuff when someone genuine is apon him….

who’s to blame? IMO our stupid greedy government!

Good on you – yes I have to agree the carparking attendant probably hates his job and me even more, paid parking in Sydney is getting cheaper than paid parking in Canberra – The Bush Capital, it is a joke. Again, this was more to do with getting trapped into a situation where you feel like you just got ripped, doesn’t matter for $1 or for $1000, I think it was icing on the cake for the week… better week coming up now that I am ‘cognisant with how a contract works’ :]

The Naddiks The Naddiks 9:35 am 03 Oct 10

troll-sniffer said :

Hmmmm. Even at the minimum wage Naddicks series of replies must have well and truly used up $5.50 of his time, and I suspect there’ll be even more to come.

I suspect Mr Naddicks will be a little more cognisant of the need to keep track of said parking ticket in future.

If Mr Naddickws was truly a battler he’d be cycling to Brindabella, so as far as I’m concerned his whole story has no credibility anyway.

cyclists are the tru enemy of all Canberrans on the road, and that’s Naddiks without the c

The Naddiks The Naddiks 9:33 am 03 Oct 10

ConanOfCooma said :

FFS Naddiks, combine your replies…

Conan is still one of my all time heroes. Sorry, I’m just some incompetent, idiot, wanker according to the at least a third of the participants here – I will have to learn about combining my replies…

The Naddiks The Naddiks 9:31 am 03 Oct 10

BigDave said :

Isn’t it totally hilarious and typical of today’s society when, like in this case, the OP is the one in the wrong but wants to blame everyone else but themselves! They’ve even got the audacity to think that they should be done a favour! WTF?
SUCK IT UP IDIOT!

are you hitting on me ?

The Naddiks The Naddiks 9:29 am 03 Oct 10

gtim108 said :

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY & LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

2. Entry to this car park is only available via:
(a) a casual ticket received prior to entry;
(b) a pre-paid ticket; or
(c) a pass card issued to you by Canberra Airport.

10. You agree to: