Road black spots to be fixed

By johnboy 15 September 2011 30

Andrew Leigh has announced the local areas to get some attention from the Black Spots Program.

With $1.1 million of Commonwealth Money to match the same amount of local money it’s not very much in the scheme of roadworks. But here are the spots:

— intersection of Drakeford Drive, Summerland Circuit and O’Halloran Circuit at Kambah: $210,000 to upgrade traffic signals, provide additional pedestrian lighting and replace existing poles;

— intersection of Hindmarsh Drive, Athllon Drive and Callam Street at Phillip: $187,800 to install traffic signal mast arms;

— intersection of Tharwa Drive, Box Hill Avenue and Woodcock Drive at Conder: $63,000 for visibility enhancements, including improved directional signage, improved hazard signage and upgraded street lighting;

— intersection of College Street and Haydon Drive at Bruce: $310,000 for improvements to the pavement surface and traffic signals; upgrade of existing light columns; and improvements to kerb, sign and line marking;

— intersection of Southern Cross Drive and Kingsford Smith Drive at Belconnen: $161,800 to install traffic signal mast arms;

— intersection of William Hovell Drive and Bindubi Street at Belconnen: $120,200 to install traffic signal mast arms;

— intersection of Coppins Crossing Road and William Hovell Drive at Belconnen: $52,600 to reduce speed limit on William Hovell Drive; and

— intersection of Girrawheen Street and Limestone Avenue at Braddon: $21,400 to move the limit lines forward to be flush with Limestone Avenue.

What’s Your opinion?

30 Responses to
Road black spots to be fixed
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
00davist 3:34 pm 16 Sep 11

thatsnotme said :

00davist said :

I stand by my comments regaurding ‘unawares’ drivers being nabbed for speeding where the limit has been dropped, as you are required to pay enough attantion to the road and its rules, while driving, that you know the speed limit.

The speed limit on a section of Drake Brockman Drive was recently reduced, from 80km/h to 60km/h. Underneath the signs, are big fluro yellow ‘modified speed limit’ warnings (or something to that effect). Absolutely no excuse for a driver to not notice those, and I hope that is going to be standard practice from now on.

I think i know the area, and yes, it is a very good idea, especially on bends like that.

Not only does it help eliminate confusion (which, while not noticing is no excuse, can happen) it also removes the excuse, so that those speeding intentionally canot try to pull one over.

Not to mention, while, as i mentioned, i think people should face up to their accountability when it comes to noticing speed changes, the fact is some don’t notice, and while i have no issue with them getting fined, who knows, the fluro change warnings could one day save a life!

thatsnotme 3:23 pm 16 Sep 11

00davist said :

00davist 2:25 pm 16 Sep 11

Cheap said :

00davist said :

wildturkeycanoe said :

I love how every time something goes wrong, and somone gets hurt or killed in a black spot, people are always winging about how we always ‘wait for somone to get killed’ before we do anything about dangerous areas, and then, these are the same people who demand to see accident figures, when attempts are made to take preventative action.

Oh, and catching thos ‘unawares’? i think you mean those who are not paying enough attention to the road!

What are you basing that on? Who says that they’re the same people saying both things?

You raise a good point, I should not be suggesting that ALL people who complain about it one way, also do the other, Nor should I be incinuating that wildturkeycanoe has ever complained about the lack of preventative mesures takien at some blackspots.

I have known people to do both, so in my experience, it is in no way an unheard of phenomonon, so perhaps I shoul rephrase:
________________________

I love how every time something goes wrong, and somone gets hurt or killed in a black spot, people are always winging about how we always ‘wait for somone to get killed’ before we do anything about dangerous areas, and then, so many of the same people demand to see accident figures, when attempts are made to take preventative action.

Not to imply this situation is a direct reference to wildturkeycanoe, however, I would like to know if you, WTC, beleve we should wait until somone is killed before considering action at this particular intersection?
______________________

Cheap 2:15 pm 16 Sep 11

00davist said :

wildturkeycanoe said :

00davist 12:22 pm 16 Sep 11

thatsnotme said :

First thing I did was see if there were any plans for the intersections of Southern Cross and Starke St / Florey Drive, and was disappointed to see no mention.

But then I found this, which I haven’t seen mentioned here previously – http://www.tams.act.gov.au/move/roads/construction_projects/west_macgregor_intersection_upgrades

The project includes upgrades to the intersections of Southern Cross Drive and Starke Street, and the intersection of Southern Cross Drive and Florey Drives into three leg, single/two lane roundabouts respectively.

Finally!

This time last year I was living in Macgregor, I can say definatly, this section needs it, so that is great news!!!

I was there 1 year, and i cant even remember how many incidents and near misses happened there in that time, I think a fella even got killed there, if memory serves me right, it was a fella on a motorbike, at the florey interection.

00davist 11:39 am 16 Sep 11

Jim Jones said :

00davist said :

wildturkeycanoe said :

Also, you don’t believe in ‘figures’ do you?

Wow, this thread, the radio rating thread, geez, i must have really upset you, as you appear to have decided to follow me around trying to enact some sort of grudge over this!

Sorry if my attempts to break you out of your narrow mindset have somhow hurt your feelings.

Get over it!
_______________________________________________________________
Anyway…

wildturkeycanoe said :

thatsnotme 11:35 am 16 Sep 11

Finally!

Jim Jones 11:27 am 16 Sep 11

00davist said :

wildturkeycanoe said :

Also, you don’t believe in ‘figures’ do you?

00davist 11:11 am 16 Sep 11

wildturkeycanoe said :

yellowsnow 11:02 am 16 Sep 11

darkmilk said :

Wow, I’m in the wrong business…

“$52,600 to reduce speed limit”
“$21,400 to move the limit lines”
“$161,800 to install traffic signal mast arms”

To this list we need to add:

“$300,000 to install public art sculpture at busy intersection to distract people from being stuck in traffic”

They just installed one at one of the most dangerous intersections in Weston Creek (2 fatal accidents in last year or two). For the same money they could have made the (unsiganalised) intersection safer. Instead, now it’s even harder to see the oncoming traffic because it’s partially blocked by the sculpture.

The sculpture, by the way, does not look like it would cost $300k to make and install. I’ve seen similar works at primary schools, produced by kids for under $200.

yellowsnow 10:44 am 16 Sep 11

Jethro said :

I’ve seen a number of close calls at the intersection of William Hovell and Coppins Crossing, where people have pulled out of Coppins Crossing and underestimated the speed oncoming traffic was travelling.

+1. V dangerous intersection. I myself almost got wiped out once doing a right hand turn from Coppins onto Hovell. A large proportion of people on William Hovell seem to speed 20-40kmh over limit, so reducing official limit to 60kmh should ensure they stay in the 80-100 range 🙂

Seriously though, I don’t see how lowering the limit is the answer What they need to do is to move the end of Coppins Crossing a hundred metres or so east so it lines up with Coulter Drive intersection, where there are lights already. This is actually the plan according to Roads ACT but … wait for it … it won’t be done for 10 – 20 years, as part of a future stage of Molonglo infrastructure, when presumably the road will already be choked with Molonglo traffic heading to Belco

How many lives will be lost due to this delay in what everyone knows has to be done eventually? Anyway, I now avoid going that way northbound precisely because I don’t want to become a statistic.

Keijidosha 10:24 am 16 Sep 11

YetAnotherBlowIn said :

And surely a better (but more expensive and timely) solution for Coppins Crossing would be to install lights that are tied in with Redfern St.

You mean Coulter Drive? This would be cheaper and easier to implement than my suggestion, with a similar net effect. Installing a set of synchronised traffic lights is a great idea that would vastly improve the safety of the intersection.

Keijidosha 9:46 am 16 Sep 11

The better solution for the Coppins Crossing/William Hovell intersection issue would be to realign Coppins Crossing Road to meet at Coulter Drive. Yes it would cost a bomb but it would solve the accident issue, prevent an unnecessary speed limit reduction and provide better access for the future Molonglo development. However it seems that forward planning disappeared from our council’s agenda many years ago.

Anyone want to take bets on a speed camera being installed in the reduced speed limit area?

YetAnotherBlowIn 7:35 am 16 Sep 11

[i]– intersection of Drakeford Drive, Summerland Circuit and O’Halloran Circuit at Kambah: $210,000 to upgrade traffic signals, provide additional pedestrian lighting and replace existing poles;[/i]

Which one? Does this refer to the works that were recently completed on the southern intersection for the new school or to the unimproved northern intersection?

I assume that the point of traffic signal mast arms is because the the lights on the side of road are obstructed or the road is particularly wide. From memory I’ve not had those problems when I’ve used these intersections. Mast arms aren’t going to change people who choose to ignore or run the existing lights.

Jethro 6:55 am 16 Sep 11

wildturkeycanoe said :

Where are the figures for accidents at the William Hovell Dr and Cotter Rd intersection? Lower speed limit?? Great, another spot for a speed camera to set up to catch the unawares.
By the way, how come it costs $52,600 to erect a couple of speed limit signs? I’ll do it for half that.

I do agree with the questions about the cost… but seriously, the speed is reduced by 10 or 20km’s an hour for a small stretch around that intersection.. your total travel times would increase by less than a minute. It’s not that big of a deal to improve safety at an area that has been identified as dangerous.

wildturkeycanoe 8:00 pm 15 Sep 11

darkmilk 7:13 pm 15 Sep 11

Wow, I’m in the wrong business…

“$52,600 to reduce speed limit”
“$21,400 to move the limit lines”
“$161,800 to install traffic signal mast arms”

They are some very expensive signs, paint and metal arms! Let’s see, assume four speed signs, two each way: $13,150 each. Four limit lines: $5,350 ea for some paint and grinding. Metal arms: $20k for a sparky for the day and wiring/fuses, $20k for the lights, plus hire a cherrypicker, still = $30,000 each, must be Titanium.

Or maybe the guys holding the lollipop signs are raking it in …

Jethro 6:54 pm 15 Sep 11

roccon said :

we are spending money to increase travel times on William Hovell Drive…. ??? somebody tell me this is a joke.

Seems reasonable, although judging by driver behaviour along that stretch of road it won’t make much of a difference. A huge majority of people drive well in excess of the speed limit on William Hovell. It would make a good candidate for a point-to-point speed camera.

Felix the Cat 6:53 pm 15 Sep 11

The more important question is how is it going to cost $52K?

roccon 5:47 pm 15 Sep 11

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.