Scooter involved in Bonython collision

johnboy 12 April 2011 27

View Larger Map

A 9-year-old boy is in a critical condition at The Canberra Hospital following a collision with a car earlier this morning (Tuesday, April 12)

About 9am the boy was on his way to school on his scooter when he has collided with a car on Hurtle Avenue, out front of Bonython Primary School.

ACT Policing’s Collision Investigation and Reconstruction Team is investigating the collision.

Hurtle Avenue is temporarily closed while police conduct investigations.

The boy is being treated at The Canberra Hospital for head injuries.

Anyone who may have witnessed the collision are asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers website on www.act.crimestoppers.com.au. Information can be provided anonymously.

[Courtesy ACT Policing]

hurtle avenue bonython

Maos courtesy Google Maps

27 Responses to Scooter involved in Bonython collision
BicycleCanberra BicycleCanberra 11:28 pm 13 Apr 11

Holden Caulfield said :

BicycleCanberra said :

I think we should look at banning Cars within a certain distance of schools or at having separate pickup ,drop off locations . Congestion is a major issue at our schools now ,particularly after the school closures

Still making the assumption/assertion that the driver in this case was in the wrong.

I suspect you do that quite a lot.

Of course, motorists do make mistakes and some do so with no apparent care to other road users. That sucks, we all know that.

But let’s at least give the motorist in this context the benefit of the doubt, especially given the first hand reports already posted.

Okay, a designated drop off area might be a very good idea, but how is that going to prevent some kid flying through that area on a scooter or bicycle without a care in the world?

I drop my chidren off at school by car every week but I certainty do not park in no stopping zones or on natural strips or double park as many parents do. I am not blaming the car driver but if you a driving a huge 4 wheel drive or a people mover your vision to see children is obscured.

BicycleCanberra said :

And then you’d have these issues at the rendezvous point, further from the facilities to assist.

What the Google street view on this post doesn’t show is the new prison style fence that the Education department has installed for security which restricts access to the school at a few certain points and sadly conflicts with cars a children will become worse as a result.

EvanJames EvanJames 4:38 pm 13 Apr 11

It seems very bizarre. Putting things together, it sounds like the kid went head-first into the side of a car? He must have been moving at a pretty fast clip to have damaged himself so badly. Kids fall off their bikes/collide with things all the time, and usually just bounce, minus some bark and a bit of crying.

As for looking left and right and left again (or was it the other way around?), bring back Hector Cat I say.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 3:34 pm 13 Apr 11

BicycleCanberra said :

I suspect you do that quite a lot.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 3:29 pm 13 Apr 11

BicycleCanberra said :

This has nothing to do whether the boy was wearing a helmet or not, soon will will have helmets for all children going to school next.Helmets were not designed for impacts with motor vehicles .
Like many schools around Canberra ,there is far too many cars at pick up and drop of times.
The more children that walk, cycle and scooter to school the better and safer it will be for children.
Sadly accidents will happen ,I have noticed several near misses around my children s school but until an accident like this happens then we will take notice of road safety. Which should be the Education departments responsibility not just parents.
Kids should be allowed to play safely in the the neighborhood and walk around by themselves. This what we used to do when we were kids.
Hope the boy is OK.

Wow, what a load of tosh; where to start, haha!

Davo111 Davo111 2:17 pm 13 Apr 11

BicycleCanberra said :

Apart from the issue of just pushing the traffic jam back one block, who is *picking up* their kids at 8:45am? As per comment #9, the kid had no helmet on, and crossed the street without looking, it was a low speed accident.

The issue here is why wasn’t the kid checking L&R before crossing? Why wasnt he taught to look before crossing? If he doesn’t have the concentration to do this, why is he riding to school?

johnboy johnboy 1:52 pm 13 Apr 11

BicycleCanberra said :

BicycleCanberra BicycleCanberra 1:45 pm 13 Apr 11

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 6:29 am 13 Apr 11

BicycleCanberra said :

sadly, the most likely outcome is the banning of scooters (at the School). This is already the case at many Canberra schools, and as is usually the case, some poorly behaved children spoil it for all the others. Storing scooters at school is an issue too.

BicycleCanberra BicycleCanberra 9:33 pm 12 Apr 11

Hope the boy is OK.

justme75 justme75 5:11 pm 12 Apr 11

thats so sad my 2 children know the poor little boy

nyssa76 nyssa76 4:51 pm 12 Apr 11

I want to congratulate the staff at Bonython PS who spoke to the unit the child was in (my daughter’s unit) immediately after the event and organised counselling for those who witnessed the accident as well as the person who immediately treated the child.

My daughter, 8yo, informed me this afternoon that she is indeed friends with the child and was visibly upset by it.

The driver should not be vilified, but I do believe more attention should be given to the speed in which cars travel on Hurtle Ave as it is dangerous for student having to cross the road period. The childrens crossing is behind the school not at Hurtle Ave and I believe there should be one outside the school as well.

The Hoff The Hoff 4:29 pm 12 Apr 11

I was at the crash site this morning when it happened.
I personally know the child involved as well as the driver of the vehicle, and the person who administered first aid to the young boy.
I will assure you that the driver involved was not driving like a maniac like some above comments would have you believe. She is very upset and will need some sort of counciling.
The young boy involved is known for walking the bonython streets alone day and night and riding his scooter without a helmet also for crossing the road at high speeds without looking.
However it is an extremly sad event and we wish the boy and driver the best.
And hope for a speedy recovery because no matter who is at fault no child deserves this.

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 3:58 pm 12 Apr 11

God… it doesn’t necessarily take much does it? We are all so fragile… sometimes we forget that…

Give your little ones a hug tonight and let them know you love them… There but for the grace of God…

Postalgeek Postalgeek 3:36 pm 12 Apr 11

Sometimes you can’t protect kids from themselves, however much you try.

Really hope the little bloke gets better.

johnboy johnboy 3:28 pm 12 Apr 11

The CT is reporting the boy hit a car that was either moving very slowly or stationary and that the boy was not wearing a helmet.

ebony57 ebony57 2:58 pm 12 Apr 11

First of all, I do hope that the little fella pulls through.

According to the CT website, the police are now saying that the vehicle involved may have been stationary at the time, and that the child (not wearing a helmet) was the one that collided with the car. If this is indeed the case, the driver of the vehicle deserves support rather than censure.

daddy daddy 2:52 pm 12 Apr 11

Just heard Police on news report. From what I understand it was moving scooter hit stationary car. Little bloke not in great shape. Hope he gets better.

KaptnKaos KaptnKaos 2:13 pm 12 Apr 11

Vehicles (including buses) always speed around these main Bonython streets, usually by those who are cutting through to miss the traffic on Drakeford. This morning there was a police paddy wagon with 2 police persons and a radar (yes they all still do exist) set up at the Athllon Drv end of Barr-Smith Ave, perhaps this would have been better set up out the front of the school instead.

Hope all is ok with the child.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 2:07 pm 12 Apr 11

Very, very sad. Why can’t we have traffic control measures where we actually need.

Hope the poor little kid gets better quickly.

nyssa76 nyssa76 1:31 pm 12 Apr 11

I usually drop my children off at school every morning. This morning I dropped my daughter off there at 8:50am, my son is on camp atm.

Coming out of the school, I noticed many drivers going past the school obviously over the 40km/phr speed limit THIS MORNING.

I had the thought that there needed to be speed bumps here……then as I am out, I hear about that poor little boy.Sadly I believe both my children know this child.

Region Group Pty Ltd