Self promotion

che 17 January 2008 57

Yesterday Riot had a story go up where the poster asked a seemingly reasonable and innocuous question about a particular service and if anyone had any good experiences with a particular service provider. Not long after that the same logon posted a glowing review for the self same service provider.

Been alert types a good half dozen of the rest of you jumped on that user for the blatant and under handed attempt at self promotion and for frankly being an idiot for trying it.

Now we (the admins) got an email from the owner of that logon claiming that they didn’t write the post nor the comment, which if true could only really have occurred if that individual wasn’t secure with their logon details or had left themselves logged on to a computer that other people had access to. Unable to prove otherwise we dropped the post at their request.

But the question arises, besides this attempt being inept at best, is self promotion just outright evil and underhanded? and should Riot’s policy of post ownership being that of the author and therefore able to be removed on request of the author be reviewed so posts like the one in question could stay up so we could lay the boot in some more?

57 Responses to Self promotion
S4anta S4anta 2:55 pm 17 Jan 08

perhaps the readers from RiotACT are suffering from ad nausem…

howdy howdy 2:43 pm 17 Jan 08

Howdy – I second that, in fact I bought some wire cutters yesterday and they’re much better than Magnet Mart’s ones.

Comment by Howdyho – 18th January, 2008

TAD TAD 2:41 pm 17 Jan 08

I think I’d better go and have a refreshing coke.

howdy howdy 2:39 pm 17 Jan 08

Holden – better go down to bunnings and get something for that. I reckon they have great prices, better service and better people.

TAD TAD 2:38 pm 17 Jan 08

From the Google Cache

Mobile car detailing the best in canberra
Posted on 16.01.08 by ccvc84 @ 3:33 pm
I was wondering if anyone has heard about Way2Go Mobile Car detailing. I was speaking to someone who said that they had got their car detailed and that the guy did an amazing job. Has anyone heard of him?

[Ed. was your experience also the same? who else would you recommend]

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:29 pm 17 Jan 08

I thought we may have had our wires crossed.

howdy howdy 2:07 pm 17 Jan 08

Holden – Ah, that answer. I thought you were saying you were a well paid Canberran musician : P
Silly me.

caf caf 2:01 pm 17 Jan 08

Maelinar: no, it was for some car detailing mob.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:00 pm 17 Jan 08

Holden – are you now?

Well, I like having a shiny car. But I usually take care of that myself and I don’t feel the need to tell everyone I have a shiny car. 🙂

Mælinar Mælinar 1:47 pm 17 Jan 08

Was it the person who asked about Jewel of India ?

I’d like to confirm as I spend upwards of $100/year at the restraunt, as does Thumper, and several other of our acquaintances.

Ari Ari 1:46 pm 17 Jan 08

I remember it and had a suspicion it involved a contra deal 😉

[Ed. Jazz – it was on Riotv1.0 for chrissindy’s (which we still havent managed to migrate across). perhaps fortunately or unfortunately depending on your view there was no contra deal]

TAD TAD 1:43 pm 17 Jan 08

The funniest self promotion I’ve seen on here, poorly disguised as a review by a satisfied customer was for a certain local massage parlour.

I wish I could find the link.

Admin appeared to have been that sucked in that they turned it into a poll about whether riotact was really the place for brothel etc reviews.

Anyone else remember this one?

Mælinar Mælinar 1:36 pm 17 Jan 08

Perhaps the request for removal of a thread by the thread author should be accompanied with suitable $500 fee.

howdy howdy 1:31 pm 17 Jan 08

oh crap I just realised what the previous story was – in case anyone tries to make a connection out of it and my comment, there really isn’t one.

la la la la

howdy howdy 1:18 pm 17 Jan 08

Holden – are you now?

I’m still the one who coughed : )

howdy howdy 1:16 pm 17 Jan 08

If a band pretended to be a fan who had bought their CD and thought it fabulous. That would fall into the same category as Mr I have a sparkly car.

(I wonder how often that has actually happened???)

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 1:15 pm 17 Jan 08

Oh, so it was for a car detailing company was it?! I’m interested now. (So, who was it!)

Haha, howdy, I’m your answer.

caf caf 12:57 pm 17 Jan 08

Mr Evil makes the correct distinction – self promotion in the “my band/website/political party is the greatest” is a different kettle of fish from pretending to be a third party. All self promotion on RA should be accompanied by full disclosure of the poster’s affiliation or interest in the business being promoted.

If the owner of the account claimed that someone else wrote the story, couldn’t you have left it up but reassigned to “unknown astroturfer” instead of the supposedly hijacked account name?

Cameron Cameron 12:51 pm 17 Jan 08

I share the sentiments of many – if people want to promote they pay for it.

Johnboy’s promotion of concat is not the same thing – he’s one of the RA owners and if the owners choose to advertise something on here, that’s their prerogative.

As for people being able to request the removal of their own posts… I think they should be able to – but under reasonable circumstances.

In this instance the person claimed that it wasn’t them – and I think you made the right decision given your inability to prove otherwise.

Don’t know what sort of IP logging wordpress has, but that’d be the best bet anyway – see if the IP address used for the self promo is the same and/or similar to previous IPs used by the owner of the account.

howdy howdy 12:49 pm 17 Jan 08

Yes but Canberra bands aren’t in it for the money.

‘oh what do you do?’
‘well I’m a well paid musician in a local canberra band’

cough

Deliberately misleading the consumer in order to make them pay for a service you provide as a business is the issue.

Besides, who goes on about having their car cleaned so much they need to tell the world, really?

‘Yeah, went down to the car wash the other day ‘insert plug’. Can came out sparking so clean I could see my ‘insert shameless plug’ watch in it.’

Region Group Pty Ltd