The Bureau has given notice of wild weather:
For people in the South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains, Australian Capital Territory and parts of the Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains and Riverina Forecast Districts.
Issued at 3:09 pm Thursday, 19 January 2012.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Orange, Mudgee, Bathurst, Cooma, Yass, Parkes, Wagga Wagga, Albury and Tumbarumba.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:10 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Canberra and Queanbeyan, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.