News

Canberra’s most creative
residential property specialists

Sexual Assault in Lyons

Skidbladnir 12 March 2008 21

From the Media Release

ACT Policing is investigating a sexual assault on a 61-year-old woman in an apartment complex in Lyons about 1.10am Tuesday March 11.

The woman was watering her garden when she was attacked from behind and sexually assaulted by an unknown male.
The victim was only able to provide a limited description of the offender, stating he smelt strongly of alcohol and had a deep voice.
The victim contacted a neighbour who called the Triple 0 emergency line and alerted police. The woman was conveyed to The Canberra Hospital for treatment.

Police urge anyone who may have witnessed a male acting suspiciously in the early hours of the morning in the Staverton Place area to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

SMH also have the story here.

21 Responses to Sexual Assault in Lyons
Furry Jesus Furry Jesus 12:25 pm 12 Jun 11

Mr Evil – I feel for you (in a nice way). But when it comes to rape/sexual assault, there just aren’t any emoticons for sarcasm, so the risk of being mis-read is always there.

This topic requires a few moments to think before you hit that Submit button, to make sure the point is as well-made as it can be.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 10:16 am 14 Mar 08

Man, some people here are a little slow.

I totally agree that women should be able to do what they want, whenever they want, and feel that they are totally safe. Unfortunately the real world is not a lovely, happy, friendly or totally safe place all of the time.

I would not recommend that any woman be out alone (even on their own front lawn) at 1am anywhere near a well known danger spot like Strathgordon Court.

It’s all about minimising the risks of having something terrible like this happen to yourself.

“When at home, women should be handcuffed to the stove to prepare food for the men and chldren, and when going outside must wear a burlap sack which has been infused with the scent of rotting meat (to prevent them from men being driven mad by their sexy lewditude, and forcing men to rape them).”

Yep, that hit the nail right on the head – you goose.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 9:36 am 14 Mar 08

RiotACT: restoring traditional values to the ACT

sepi sepi 9:20 am 14 Mar 08

ME too.
So should all women stay indoors after dark?

la mente torbida la mente torbida 8:04 am 14 Mar 08

Mr Evil…
I prefer your second response however, where did I say you were trying to be funny… it was just the general tone of the responses that annoyed me…I’d like to think that you can water your lawn whenever you feel like it.

Sina Sina 6:05 pm 13 Mar 08

Right, so there’s no way she’ll ever be sexually assaulted then. Jeezus.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 4:24 pm 13 Mar 08

My mother wouldn’t be outside at 1am.

Yes, it is a very sad case, but the reality is it just isn’t safe to do this kind of thing. I wish the world was a better place, but unfortunately there are a lot of scumbags out there.

Sina Sina 3:35 pm 13 Mar 08

Some of the comments on here are in really poor taste – how would you feel if it was your mother?

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 2:38 pm 13 Mar 08

Tuesday night was pretty warm, I know I didn’t sleep, but I was busy doing something exciting.
So it is possible that she was just out watering the garden.

But even if she was wearing only a smile and a nightgown, its still no reason to go and rape someone’s gradma.

Stung Stung 2:25 pm 13 Mar 08

agreed.. Let’s be honest here, she was not watering her garden. She was probably doing something dodgy actually – she is from lyons.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 2:15 pm 13 Mar 08

I wasn’t trying to be funny.

I’m saying that being female and out watering your lawn/garden at 1 am in Lyons is probably not a good idea, especially when you live close to Strathgordon Court.

There, is that plain enough to understand?

Mr Evil Mr Evil 2:06 pm 13 Mar 08

I wasn’t trying to be funny, f**kface.

There, is that plain enough to understand?

FC FC 1:49 pm 13 Mar 08

That is a pretty strange time to be watering your garden! Maybe she couldn’t sleep or something I suppose..

la mente torbida la mente torbida 1:30 pm 13 Mar 08

FFS find another thread for you piss poor attempts at humour

Mr Evil Mr Evil 12:38 pm 13 Mar 08

Well, it really wasn’t worth it was it?

A nice green lawn and garden ain’t much to enjoy after you’ve been raped.

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 12:32 pm 13 Mar 08

Watering her garden at 1.10am on a Tuesday morning?

Just trying to beat the water restrictions without being dobbed in by a nosey neighbour.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 12:01 pm 13 Mar 08

Well, that’d knock that idea on the head won’t it.

caf caf 11:19 am 13 Mar 08

Watering her garden at 1.10am on a Tuesday morning?

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 8:57 am 13 Mar 08

Staverton Place is just behind the Church at Woden.

Duke Duke 6:42 pm 12 Mar 08

But they didn’t say where in Lyons. I live in Lyons and our suburb is much better now that Burnie has gone, but apparently we’ve still got a ways to go.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.