Business

Beyond the expected

Should the CT calm down?

By johnboy - 17 November 2008 22

Hardly a day goes by without a reader submitting something strange from the Canberra Times website.

Normally we refrain. But this morning provides two headlines which really need looking at:

L.A burns to the ground
‘Perfect storm’ as fires raze California

The State of California has been ‘razed’? My dictionary defines raze as to “completely destroy”. 36,553,215 people completely destroyed?

The whole city of Los Angeles burned “to the ground”?

I know we’re prone to hyperbole ourselves here. But really guys, get a grip. Maybe a thousand houses is a tragedy to be sure and great pictures no doubt. But it’s not the complete devastation of one of the world’s biggest economies.

What’s Your opinion?

22 Responses to
Should the CT calm down?
bd84 9:05 pm 17 Nov 08

California “burns to the ground” like clockwork every year.. yawnn

utah 7:01 pm 17 Nov 08

The CT is good for exactly two things: starting my backyard chiminea and cleaning up dog shit.
In the CT’s defence, it’s a pretty good birdcage liner, too.

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_ 3:02 pm 17 Nov 08

Granny 1:59 pm 17 Nov 08

I wonder if they’ll lift the “Robbie” story?

tylersmayhem 1:56 pm 17 Nov 08

My guess is that the editor of the CT, is the same person who posts the news titles and content on Yahoo7. I have no idea how they get away with some of the spin they put on their headlines.

CT are pretty good…at lifting RA stories and doing some “investigation” to make it their own story.

Granny 1:47 pm 17 Nov 08

They had mobile homes and they didn’t move them??

p1 12:50 pm 17 Nov 08

Over 500 of those houses are “mobile homes”, which while terrible if it is your residence that goes up in smoke, isn’t quite the same scale as 500 houses.