Simon says we all love the plastic bag ban

johnboy 24 January 2013 106

plastic bags

If we really all were enamoured of Simon Corbell’s plastic bag laws one would imagine he wouldn’t need to tell us about it.

A new survey of the use of plastic shopping bags in the ACT has shown that 70% of Canberrans want to see the ban of lightweight plastic bags continue while 66% of people would like the ban to be implemented nationally, Minister for the Environment and Sustainable Development, Simon Corbell said today.

“The interim review of the ban shows that 84% of Canberrans now carry a re-usable bag with them when doing their shopping instead of relying on bags at the counter,” Mr Corbell said.

The Government committed to an interim review of the ban on lightweight shopping bags after a 12 month period of the ban in operation.

A telephone survey of primary shoppers in 600 ACT households was conducted as part of the review and highlighted that the majority of shoppers from every age group supported the ban.

The review evaluated community acceptance, reduction in plastic bag use, environmental outcomes and retailer compliance.

Mr Corbell said a more broad ranging review would take place after two years of the operation of the lightweight plastic bag ban.

“This interim review gives us an important snapshot of the views in the ACT community about the ban, but after another 12 months we will be able to look more closely at trends of plastic bag use, and reductions of bags to landfill,” he said.

“I am pleased to see that during the first 12 months there were no infringements issued to retailers breaching the ban, and I encourage this good compliance behaviour to continue.”

Some might see a total absence of found infringements in less glowing terms.

UPDATE 24/01/13 13:40: Mayor Rattenbury has said he’d like the ban to go further:

“Unfortunately one unintended and perverse outcome of the ban, as it is currently legislated, is the provision of non compostable and thicker plastic bags as a replacement to the banned lightweight plastic type.

Mr Rattenbury said the legislation needs to be improved to ensure that fully compostable plastic bags are the only kind allowed in the ACT.

“In the interim report, 94% of people indicated that they would like all plastic bags to be completely biodegradable, and I’ll be pursuing an amendment to the legislation to make sure this happens.

“A current exemption in the legislation means that retailers can currently give customers compostable lightweight plastic bags for free. Rather than providing these bags retailers are getting around the legislation by simply providing, at a cost to the consumer, thicker non-compostable plastic bags.

“Many of the bags that are called ‘degradable’ simply break into a thousand plastic pieces and never actually biodegrade.

“All in all, these substitutes run the risk of defeating the purpose of the plastic bag ban”, said Mr Rattenbury.

106 Responses to Simon says we all love the plastic bag ban
c_c™ c_c™ 5:28 pm 24 Jan 13

Mr Gillespie said :

Endry (#56)

I don’t care if the bags were 1 cent each. It is the fact that the charge is there for the customer, it appears on the receipt, which is immoral and offends the sensibilities of any person who genuinely cares about the money that they rightfully earn.

Comic & Gamer Nerd (#54), I know more than enough that (a) over the border, customers aren’t charged for their shopping bags, and (b) in the ACT, customers weren’t charged for their shopping bags. End of argument

Researchers last year discovered a very simple form of life form that could survive where life wasn’t believed to be able to survive.

Not only is that minuscule life form not nearly as small and simple as you are, but I suspect even it, despite been able to survive in ammonia, would keel over if forced to survive with your bulls**t.

Tetranitrate Tetranitrate 5:09 pm 24 Jan 13

The cost of the bags was no doubt included in the cost of groceries before, but the average cost per bag would doubtlessly round to zero.
From looking at sites that cater to small businesses, I could order the old-style thin plastic bags right now for about 2.4 cents a bag just ordering a 10kg pack.

Woolies and Coles have massive market power and were probably paying much much less, they’d be contracting to buy them by the ton and would probably be the main customers of whoever they were dealing with. For all intents and purposes the bags may as well have been free before the ban – the cost of all the plastic bags you’d have used for a $100+ shop were probably less than the cost of a single re-usable bag now.

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 5:00 pm 24 Jan 13

Endry (#56)

c_c™ c_c™ 4:45 pm 24 Jan 13

Pork Hunt said :

Thumper’s mate’s mate from the pub told me that supermarkets in the ACT don’t pay electricity or rent either and if that cost was factored into the price of groceries, prices would go through the roof. Then where will you be with your ” free” bags…?

Maybe not directly in some cases but it would be included in the lease.
They do pay for energy though and you’ll note supermarkets have recently installed enclosed fridges/freezers or retrofitted thermal blinds to try and reduce the refrigeration costs that are said to be the most expensive thing for a supermarket.

Endrey Endrey 4:37 pm 24 Jan 13

15c CENTS FOR A BAG??!?!?!? $30 DOLARRS FOR SPEEDOS????!! . Maybe I’ll just take a f***ing bag to the shops like I take my f***ing bathers to the pool.

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 4:27 pm 24 Jan 13

Mr Gillespie said :

Jim Jones #47, that argument won’t work because remember when we didn’t have the plastic bag ban? Back in those days, we only paid for the groceries, not the bags.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 4:26 pm 24 Jan 13

Mr Gillespie said :

DrKoresh #46, Canberra is a laughing stock to interstate visitors, who find they have to pay for their shopping bags.

Can you tell me everything you know about including costs for cheap or free things into other items?

DrKoresh DrKoresh 4:23 pm 24 Jan 13

Mr Gillespie said :

And in turn, you are the laughing stock of Canberra. I don’t really give a toss about out-of-towners, the amount of ignorant scorn poured upon Canberra by angry, gibbering morons from other states means they can go hang for all I care.

gazket gazket 4:22 pm 24 Jan 13

More Government lies.

I have hundres of Coles plastic bags, I’ll sell them for 5c each to the first greenie to pm me.

I have no air con so I will carbon trade and use as many plastic bags as like.

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 4:14 pm 24 Jan 13

If you, Mr G, wish to stand for election in the Senate (that way you can change the whole rotten system from within) in the upcoming federal election; I will stand out the front of a polling booth and hand out your how to vote cards rain, hail or shine.

damien haas damien haas 4:09 pm 24 Jan 13

I bought a bucket at the reject shop. It cost 99 cents. i noted that at the checkout, I could purchase a plastic bag to take home my rejected purchase – for 99 cents.

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 4:05 pm 24 Jan 13

c_c™ said :

……15c – pay up I say. If you want to avoid it, then buy a set of reusable bags.

Avoid it? Avoid what exactly?

Sounds like you contradicted yourself there pal.

Johnnyboy (#44), the Greens found out the hard way it’s not their God-given right to be a cock either, when they lost 3 of their 4 seats.

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 4:03 pm 24 Jan 13

Jim Jones Jim Jones 3:50 pm 24 Jan 13

Mr Gillespie said :

It is IMMORAL that shoppers are charged any extra just to carry their groceries home.

How?

Shouldn’t you have to pay for things that you get from a shop?

DrKoresh DrKoresh 3:49 pm 24 Jan 13

dibs said :

The ONLY poeple to benefit from the platic bag ban are big corporations like Woolworths

15 cents a bag, pure profit of 12 cents.

Woolworths are profiteering from this ban.
I now have a cupboard full of plastic bags that dont get reused or recycled…every time a quick trip to my local shops costs me 45 cents extra due to bags (yes, I like ALOT of other people forget to take the bags out of the cupboard to re-use).

The thicker plastic bag that is stored in my cupboard eventually makes its way to the garbage bin, where it ultimately ends up in land fill anyway. Thanks Woolworths, not only are you making a profit you are exacerbating our landfill problems and laffing all the way to the bank with it !

And before anyone jumps on my view, just so you know, I have now purchased a granny trolly so no more bags for me! woolies or otherwise

*cue laughter*

c_c™ c_c™ 3:46 pm 24 Jan 13

Mr Gillespie said :

Mr Rattenbury, can you promise us that your new biodegradeable plastic bags will NOT incur a fee?

I will NOT pay for my bags. Not 15 cents. Not 5 cents. NOTHING.

Please rethink this legislation from the point of view of the little people on the street like us. Not to line your pockets with profits from thick, environmentally unfriendly bags.

Either it’s FREE biodegradeable bags, paper bags, OR repeal this legislation.

The Greens lost nearly all their seats, and I’d say this is one of the main reasons why. You think I’m a joke ay? Well I’ll tell you something. Seriously — this nuisance legislation is nothing more than a joke.

Biodegradable does not mean environmentally friendly.

There are still environmental inputs into producing those bags and they remain largely disposable, hence the inputs remain disproportionate to the lifecycle of the bag.

15c – pay up I say. If you want to avoid it, then buy a set of reusable bags.

johnboy johnboy 3:45 pm 24 Jan 13

I know it’s hard for you to believe Mr G but you don’t have a god given right to be a complete cock.

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 3:38 pm 24 Jan 13

I will NOT pay for my bags. Not 15 cents. Not 5 cents. NOTHING.

Either it’s FREE biodegradeable bags, paper bags, OR repeal this legislation.

dibs dibs 3:28 pm 24 Jan 13

15 cents a bag, pure profit of 12 cents.

Woolworths are profiteering from this ban.

switch switch 2:42 pm 24 Jan 13

Madam Cholet said :

I also choose to delay running my air con as long as I can to ensure that I don’t have higher than necessary electric bills, and that I’m not sucking electric that I really don’t need.

False economy, and probably worse for the environment. Makes more sense to open up your well-insulated house to the early morning cool air, then run the aircon when it starts to get too hot outside to leave the doors/windows open. This way the aircon is not working so hard keeping the house at a sensible temperature, rather than working flat out to cool down a hothouse.

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com