Lifestyle

Tax time headache?
Call RSM on 6190 1277

Simon says we all love the plastic bag ban

johnboy 24 January 2013 106

plastic bags

If we really all were enamoured of Simon Corbell’s plastic bag laws one would imagine he wouldn’t need to tell us about it.

A new survey of the use of plastic shopping bags in the ACT has shown that 70% of Canberrans want to see the ban of lightweight plastic bags continue while 66% of people would like the ban to be implemented nationally, Minister for the Environment and Sustainable Development, Simon Corbell said today.

“The interim review of the ban shows that 84% of Canberrans now carry a re-usable bag with them when doing their shopping instead of relying on bags at the counter,” Mr Corbell said.

The Government committed to an interim review of the ban on lightweight shopping bags after a 12 month period of the ban in operation.

A telephone survey of primary shoppers in 600 ACT households was conducted as part of the review and highlighted that the majority of shoppers from every age group supported the ban.

The review evaluated community acceptance, reduction in plastic bag use, environmental outcomes and retailer compliance.

Mr Corbell said a more broad ranging review would take place after two years of the operation of the lightweight plastic bag ban.

“This interim review gives us an important snapshot of the views in the ACT community about the ban, but after another 12 months we will be able to look more closely at trends of plastic bag use, and reductions of bags to landfill,” he said.

“I am pleased to see that during the first 12 months there were no infringements issued to retailers breaching the ban, and I encourage this good compliance behaviour to continue.”

Some might see a total absence of found infringements in less glowing terms.

UPDATE 24/01/13 13:40: Mayor Rattenbury has said he’d like the ban to go further:

“Unfortunately one unintended and perverse outcome of the ban, as it is currently legislated, is the provision of non compostable and thicker plastic bags as a replacement to the banned lightweight plastic type.

Mr Rattenbury said the legislation needs to be improved to ensure that fully compostable plastic bags are the only kind allowed in the ACT.

“In the interim report, 94% of people indicated that they would like all plastic bags to be completely biodegradable, and I’ll be pursuing an amendment to the legislation to make sure this happens.

“A current exemption in the legislation means that retailers can currently give customers compostable lightweight plastic bags for free. Rather than providing these bags retailers are getting around the legislation by simply providing, at a cost to the consumer, thicker non-compostable plastic bags.

“Many of the bags that are called ‘degradable’ simply break into a thousand plastic pieces and never actually biodegrade.

“All in all, these substitutes run the risk of defeating the purpose of the plastic bag ban”, said Mr Rattenbury.

106 Responses to Simon says we all love the plastic bag ban
IrishPete IrishPete 10:38 am 25 Jan 13

Antagonist said :

IrishPete said :

Wondering about the survey everyone? As I suspected and suggested in an earlier post, the survey sample was 71% female. It was “primary shoppers” in each household.

IP

Not even close to a representative sample. Abject failure.

Why’s that? Should the sample also have included people with servants who shop for them?

Before you do a survey, you decide who comprises your target group. Primary shoppers seems reasonable for this. An alternative, probably more acceptable to you, would have been to survey all adults, not just primary shoppers, and ask them how often they shop in relevant shops and how many bags they use each time etc. The questionnaire used for this survey looks very quick and simple, which probably helped keep the cost down and the response rate up (interviewer would have said “this will only take two minutes” etc.) One with more complicated questioning would have taken longer and reduced response rate.

But it’s odd that the interviewer wasn’t allowed to ASK their gender (see the questionnaire at the end of the report) – did they assume it from the sound of their voice, or from subtle aspects of their responses? Ever spoken to someone on the phone and got their gender wrong? I have. But I suppose it’s not very common.

IP

PantsMan PantsMan 9:30 am 25 Jan 13
Postalgeek Postalgeek 9:25 am 25 Jan 13

IrishPete said :

johnboy said :

I know it’s hard for you to believe Mr G but you don’t have a god given right to be a complete cock.

that’s a bit harsh JB – why pick on him and not all the other ratbags (pun intended) in this conversation, and throughout RiotAct?

IP

There’s history. Personally I’m always thrilled when Dizzy shows up. He has a wonderful knack for animating threads.

Antagonist Antagonist 9:23 am 25 Jan 13

IrishPete said :

IP

Not even close to a representative sample. Abject failure.

NellyBean NellyBean 9:22 am 25 Jan 13

kakosi said :

What ban? Has everyone developed a case of “plastic bag blindness”?

Instead of the lightweight biodegradable bags woolies used to supply, now you get heavy duty non-biodegradable bags. And they go through thousands these each week. This is a step backwards and nothing to be proud of.

the previous bags were not biodegradable. Though I agree the new bags are worse in some ways, though they would not be if people re-used them (multiple times) like they were supposed to.

davo101 davo101 9:17 am 25 Jan 13

wildturkeycanoe said :

I’m not too fussed about the content of the discussion but how can a government justify it’s policy with results that say 66% of 0.16% of Canberrans surveyed want plastic bags banned nationally. So, 0.1 of a percent of the population represents a “majority of shoppers from every age group”???? I hope they didn’t waste too much taxpayer money on this, especially when the government has a department dedicated to doing surveys and the like – ABS!!

Take a deep breath and then perhaps read up a bit on sampling before having another rant.

IrishPete IrishPete 6:58 am 25 Jan 13

IP

bigfeet bigfeet 6:54 am 25 Jan 13

bundah said :

Ah Mr G’s back ooh how i’ve missed him,joy bliss!

Don’t you think it just the tiniest bit suspicious that Mr G and Captain RAAF always disappear for months on end and then tend to reappear within days of each other.

Rather than believing that they are the same person, I like to think that perhaps they are a couple who spend time away from the internet together to refresh their souls and renew and reinvigorate their relationship.

IrishPete IrishPete 6:44 am 25 Jan 13

johnboy said :

IP

gooterz gooterz 12:21 am 25 Jan 13

600 of the 600 surveyed also wanted flying cars.

One has to wonder how the questions were worded and if people would admit to wanting something that the government sees as bad.

I’m sure if police pulled people over and asked them if they were speeding instead of using a speed gun, a good number would say they weren’t.

screaming banshee screaming banshee 11:47 pm 24 Jan 13

Mr Gillespie said :

Endry (#56)

I don’t care if the bags were 1 cent each. It is the fact that the charge is there for the customer, it appears on the receipt, which is immoral and offends the sensibilities of any person who genuinely cares about the money that they rightfully earn.

Just so we’re clear on this, you’re saying people that steal money should have to pay for their bags. How do you propose such a system would be administered?

bundah bundah 10:45 pm 24 Jan 13

Ah Mr G’s back ooh how i’ve missed him,joy bliss!

Madam Cholet Madam Cholet 8:54 pm 24 Jan 13

switch said :

Madam Cholet said :

I also choose to delay running my air con as long as I can to ensure that I don’t have higher than necessary electric bills, and that I’m not sucking electric that I really don’t need.

False economy, and probably worse for the environment. Makes more sense to open up your well-insulated house to the early morning cool air, then run the aircon when it starts to get too hot outside to leave the doors/windows open. This way the aircon is not working so hard keeping the house at a sensible temperature, rather than working flat out to cool down a hothouse.

Jeez. I didn’t feel the need to give you an entire run down of my day in the heat, but FYI, I do keep the house closed once it gets hot, and I run the air con at about 26 degrees for a max of about 2 hours a day….only slightly older the ambient temp. I also have a ventilation system in the roof that works to cool our house overnight so we do not over use the air con. I also installed filing fans for the same reason. Is that enough for you?

kakosi kakosi 6:36 pm 24 Jan 13

kakosi said :

What ban? Has everyone developed a case of “plastic bag blindness”?

I’m surprised by the 70 percent satisfaction figure quoted, love to know how many were in the survey sample and what the actual questions were.

Missed the 600 shoppers survey number in the article. The only thing to ask now is what suburbs, what age group, and what household income?

kakosi kakosi 6:34 pm 24 Jan 13

What ban? Has everyone developed a case of “plastic bag blindness”?

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 6:07 pm 24 Jan 13

Mr Gillespie said :

Endry (#56)

Comic & Gamer Nerd (#54), I know more than enough that (a) over the border, customers aren’t charged for their shopping bags, and (b) in the ACT, customers weren’t charged for their shopping bags. End of argument

So you admit you know zero about retail and retail hidden costs?

artuoui artuoui 6:04 pm 24 Jan 13

My only observation on this is that there are a lot fewer plastic bags lying all over the place these days.

PantsMan PantsMan 6:01 pm 24 Jan 13

Maybe this Government could grow the f&^k up and start focusing on real issues like:

* we are further $380m in debt EACH YEAR;
* they have just sacked the Under Treasurer and now there is none;
* the health system is the worst in the country and has senior officials illegally fabricating data;
* they are proposing to undertake the largest infrastructure build in ACT Government history, despite having stuffed up everything else they’ve ever attempted.

If Katy and the other f*^ktards want to be in power so much, maybe they should GROW UP and start making some grown up decisions like what real adults make, not waste their time and our money having the 24,000 ACT Public Servants faffing around with sh#it like this.

wildturkeycanoe wildturkeycanoe 5:53 pm 24 Jan 13

bigfeet bigfeet 5:41 pm 24 Jan 13

Mr Gillespie said :

Endry (#56)

So what other items do you believe that shops should give away free? Bread? Milk? Petrol?

I can see a few other reasonably sensible reasons for looking at repealing the ban…but your incredible belief that you have an entitlement to free items from shops is not one of them.

I particularly like the way you, on occasion, claim that denial of free bags is a human rights infringement!

In fact the only reason I really endorse the ban is because it causes such fits of rage in you.

And that amuses me

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.