Simon Sheikh concedes to Zed the Silent

johnboy 26 September 2013 76

Twitter is abuzz with the news that the Greens’ Simon Sheikh is conceding he’s been beaten for the second Senate seat on the back of Animal Justice Party preferences to the Liberals.

We hope that Senator Seselja will make efforts to broaden his base over the next three years.

UPDATE: The ABC has a report:

While the final outcome will not be formally announced until Tuesday, Mr Sheikh has now conceded.

Mr Sheikh says it was always going to be a tough battle.

“We’re very proud of the fact that we focused on the Liberal Party and trying to win that seat, and the results have been very positive despite the fact that we haven’t gotten over the line,” he said.

Further Update: Simon’s sent out this email to supporters:

A few minutes ago I rang Zed Seselja and Kate Lundy to congratulate them on their election to the Senate as our ACT representatives. While the counting won’t finish until next Tuesday, it is now clear that with the Animal Justice Party preferencing the Liberals, it isn’t possible for us to overtake Mr Seselja.

I wanted you to be the first to know because this campaign was your campaign. I’ll be making a statement to the media later this afternoon where I’ll be making one simple point: as Greens volunteers you have much to be proud of.

Even though all around the country there was a swing towards the Liberals, here in Canberra we saw the Liberal vote decrease. Zed Seselja has not achieved the ‘quota’ he needed to win the seat in his own right, and instead will need to rely on preferences to win.

In the areas of Canberra where we door knocked and focussed our efforts, there was an even larger swing against the Liberals. There’s no doubt in my mind that this is thanks to your efforts.

Thank you.

I know that many of you will be disappointed in this outcome but I take solace in the knowledge that we had no other choice but to work as hard as we did. Had we been successful, adding an extra Greens Senator would have put us in a stronger position in the Senate to protect the carbon price and other policies that we’ve fought so hard for.

The first pages of the story of the Abbott Government may have been written but the last few haven’t. I hope you’ll continue to campaign on the issues that brought us together because, as we all know, our politicians will only ever soar as high as we demand.

Anna and I are looking forward to continuing to be a part of the formidable ACT Greens team that you have built and I hope we’ll be able to count on your support again in the future.

With deepest thanks,

Simon

PS: I know many of you will want to stay involved in building a more caring Australia, even though the election is over. We’re holding a special event for Greens supporters next Thursday October 3rd to talk about what campaigns we can run over the next 2 years, and to make sure Abbott doesn’t roll back everything we’ve fought so hard for. I’d love to see you there. You can RSVP here: http://www.simonsheikh.com/next_steps

76 Responses to Simon Sheikh concedes to Zed the Silent
Grail Grail 9:48 am 27 Sep 13

Thumper said :

“Militant Vegans and believers in crap pseudoscience – sounds like the core demographic of the Greens! All the more interesting that they preferenced the Libs (although the Coalition have their own believers in crap pseudoscience). I guess it is kind of like a hippy version of the nasty factional battles in the ALP – sometimes the nastiest fights are between those with nominally the same politics.”

And your source for this is?

His source is that anyone who didn’t vote for Rise Up Australia like he did is obviously a hippie, and probably a satan worshipping witch.

Thumper Thumper 8:38 am 27 Sep 13

And your source for this is?

lostinbias lostinbias 2:18 am 27 Sep 13

drfelonious said :

lostinbias said :

Deref said :

I’m going to go and eat some animals in retribution.

While I’m not going to go and eat any animals, the AJP is ridiculous. I just had an enjoyable read of their Facebook page and most of their supporters are either Vegetarian Bogans (they do exist it seems), Militant Vegans, believers in crap pseudoscience, or a combination of any of these. I left them a Facebook comment to this effect.

A couple of the supporters seemed like several young dickheads I’ve met on Facebook or loitering in Civic who call you “buddy” all the time and self-righteously act as if they know everything, including the solutions to all the world’s problems.

I was amazed at how many votes there were for the AJP, but I guess there wasn’t much to choose from.

Well, I’m not a Greens supporter, I’m actually quite right-wing on a few issues. I did, however, preference the Greens rather highly in the senate because I thought that anyone who is more socially progressive than the current incarnation of the Liberal Party would help keep them in check

As for the three groups I mentioned above being their core supporters, I don’t think so. I have many friends who are Greens supporters from various parts of the country and very few of them fit within these categories. I’m sure that some within such elements support the Greens, but I suspect the majority of them are more along the lines of “the political system’s screwed, man! I don’t vote because we need a revolution, dude!”, or are AJP nutjobs.

housebound housebound 12:20 am 27 Sep 13

CraigT said :

Good golly, the innumerates are out. Seeing as the quota achieved by the Libs is *lower* than last time, do you understand that in real terms, the Libs vote has gone down?

Here’s the last few elections’ results:
1.029 (2001) –> 1.1361 (2004) –> 1.0260 (2007) –> 1.0005 (2010) –> 0.9923 (2013)

The biggest decline in that short history was from 2004 to 2007. No prizes for guessing why.

c_c™ c_c™ 11:31 pm 26 Sep 13

CraigT said :

chewy14 said :

Robertson said :

housebound said :

One factor in 2010 was the combined campaign by ALP and Greens to dislodge Humphries: it had the perverse effect of increasing the Libs vote.

Interestingly, a quick check of the facts undermines your anti-Greens propaganda.

In 2004 The Libs got 1.14 of a quota before redistribution.
The 2007 1st-preference vote gave Humphries 1.03 quota.
In 2010 he got 1.0118.
This year it looks like Zed gets 0.99, or possibly as high as .995.

How is it anti Greens propaganda?

The Greens and Labor will have a swing against them in the ACT senate race as well because of the increase in candidates diluting the vote

Robertson said :

housebound said :

In 2004 The Libs got 1.14 of a quota before redistribution.
The 2007 1st-preference vote gave Humphries 1.03 quota.
In 2010 he got 1.0118.
This year it looks like Zed gets 0.99, or possibly as high as .995.

Let’s dig into this a bit more, using the latest available figures from the AEC.

Humphries in 2010 vs Seselja in 2013, the first preference personal vote declined by 5772 for Zed, so obviously he couldn’t draw in nearly as many personal votes as his predecessor.

However the number of Liberal first preference ticket votes grew by over 10,160 votes.

The group total rose by 5150 first preference votes in 2013.

Good golly, the innumerates are out.

Are you thick? Seriously.

Firstly you’re comparing final quotas and provisional quota. The final quota in 2010 was 76 425, the provisional quota so far announced by the AEC is 82 248.

Given the change in size of quotas, and the change in the field of candidates, of course the quota results are going to change.

What can be compared absolutely is the first preference raw numbers for candidate, ticket, and group, and they are what I wrote. And I wrote them accurately.

Now stop talking crap, including using the foolish term propaganda.

HiddenDragon HiddenDragon 10:59 pm 26 Sep 13

So the “anyone but Zed” factor wasn’t quite enough to get Simon over the line. Looking at the latest first preference votes:

it says something about the strength of that factor, and the wonders and mysteries of the preferential voting system, that Simon even got close.

Lostinbias’ comments suggest the AJP may be to the Greens what (in the eyes of some) the Greens are to the “old parties” – if so, there would be a certain poetry to what has happened. Anyway, the Life of Brian teaches us that there will always be wonderful new alternatives for those who are dissatisfied with the status quo.

chewy14 chewy14 10:11 pm 26 Sep 13

CraigT said :

chewy14 said :

Robertson said :

housebound said :

In 2004 The Libs got 1.14 of a quota before redistribution.
The 2007 1st-preference vote gave Humphries 1.03 quota.
In 2010 he got 1.0118.
This year it looks like Zed gets 0.99, or possibly as high as .995.

How is it anti Greens propaganda?

Robertson said :

housebound said :

In 2004 The Libs got 1.14 of a quota before redistribution.
The 2007 1st-preference vote gave Humphries 1.03 quota.
In 2010 he got 1.0118.
This year it looks like Zed gets 0.99, or possibly as high as .995.

The group total rose by 5150 first preference votes in 2013.

Good golly, the innumerates are out.

And that has what to do with my comment?

Yes, the Lib vote went down as did Labors and the Greens due to a larger amount of smaller parties getting a higher proportion of the vote.

I simply didn’t see how the other comment could be construed as anti Green propaganda.

IrishPete IrishPete 9:33 pm 26 Sep 13

drfelonious said :

Most Greens I know are omnivores, including myself.

Very few are hippies.

Most have university degrees, I currently have four. For pseudoscience try Tony Abbott’s “climate change is crap” Party, as you suggest.

IP

IrishPete IrishPete 9:28 pm 26 Sep 13

Deref said :

I’m going to go and eat some animals in retribution.

Just kick the dog, No need to eat anything.

IP

IrishPete IrishPete 9:28 pm 26 Sep 13

pepmeup said :

They did give it a reasonable shake this time

Nice pun.

IP

Masquara Masquara 8:50 pm 26 Sep 13

breda said :

I wonder how long Simon’s “deep commitment to Canberra” will last? Does anyone know the length of his wife’s contract (if any) at the ANU?

Christine Milne has seven staff vacancies – I’m sure Simon can take his pick and stay in Canberra!

CraigT CraigT 8:19 pm 26 Sep 13

chewy14 said :

Robertson said :

housebound said :

In 2004 The Libs got 1.14 of a quota before redistribution.
The 2007 1st-preference vote gave Humphries 1.03 quota.
In 2010 he got 1.0118.
This year it looks like Zed gets 0.99, or possibly as high as .995.

How is it anti Greens propaganda?

Robertson said :

housebound said :

In 2004 The Libs got 1.14 of a quota before redistribution.
The 2007 1st-preference vote gave Humphries 1.03 quota.
In 2010 he got 1.0118.
This year it looks like Zed gets 0.99, or possibly as high as .995.

The group total rose by 5150 first preference votes in 2013.

Good golly, the innumerates are out.

CraigT CraigT 7:56 pm 26 Sep 13

Roundhead89 said :

Sheikh can go back to GetUp! and get lost. Looks like voters took the advice of that graffiti on his posters and Leb-proofed the Senate.

You’re an idiot.
Voters came closer to Lib-proofing the ACT Senate seats than ever before.
And, you’re an idiot. Did I mention that?

Darkfalz Darkfalz 7:00 pm 26 Sep 13

It was not “on the back of the Animal Justice Party” or “donkey vote” preferences. Preferences from Rise Up Australia alone got them to 1.0091 quotas. I’d have preferred Gary to Zed personally but Sheikh is the very definition of a carpet bagging opportunistic and I’m very glad he wasn’t successful, particularly running soley on an entirely negative smear campaign against the now PM.

Ronald_Coase Ronald_Coase 6:57 pm 26 Sep 13

Roundhead89 said :

Cool. Thanks for being a racist! Maybe your user name should be hole_in_the_head89. That’d be more honest. Or maybe noclue89, racist89, intellectually_challenged89?

Ad hominem over.

Why exactly do we need to make sure that no Australians of Lebanese descent don’t enter the senate? And ytf your comment is published is beyond me.

breda breda 6:52 pm 26 Sep 13

Kurrajong Kurrajong 6:50 pm 26 Sep 13

No-one could claim that Zed has been elected with overwhelming endorsement.

I only hope that Zed realises the importance of the task ahead and that it’s not all about him – he has to champion the people of Canberra and not his personal aspirations.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 6:44 pm 26 Sep 13

Roundhead89 said :

You really are a dirtbag pos.

drfelonious drfelonious 6:41 pm 26 Sep 13

lostinbias said :

Deref said :

I’m going to go and eat some animals in retribution.

housebound housebound 6:40 pm 26 Sep 13

Robertson said :

housebound said :

In 2004 The Libs got 1.14 of a quota before redistribution.
The 2007 1st-preference vote gave Humphries 1.03 quota.
In 2010 he got 1.0118.
This year it looks like Zed gets 0.99, or possibly as high as .995.

Fair enough, I was going off memory on the 2010 campaign (there were three parties combining forces, too, but I couldn’t think of who the third was), and I didn’t pay that much attention to earlier federal elections. Your stats do show a general decline in the Libs 1st preference vote: 1.14 to 1.03 to 1.01 to 0.99, with the biggest drop in 2004-2007 (probably part of the Howard regime’s slow death). It could be this slow decline that got the Greens and the ALP (and the other group) excited about unseating the Libs in the first place. Zed should probably be worried if he sticks around for next time.

Anti-libs propaganda aside, the fall in support for the ALP and the Green is of interest, especially given the rock solid support for the ALP in the reps. Our failure to swing even managed an article in one of the dailies.

I repeat, it would be really nice to see where the minor parties’ below-the-line preferences go. The 3PP vote from below-the-line voters could also be interesting, and probably quite surprising.

And for all those critical of the AJP – it will probably do more to change the local Green to work for the AJP goals than anything else they could have done. It possibly has already had an effect (caged chook and pigs bans). As long as they don’t get into the habit of backing the ones they hate …

Region Group Pty Ltd