Lifestyle

Home loans made clear

Skywhale keeps giving

By johnboy 16 May 2013 22

skywhale

How could we not direct your attention, dear reader, to an article titled “The Ten Most Wonderful Things Committed To Hansard as a Result of the Skywhale”.

It’s worth mentioning such tech luminaries as Jzw and Cory Doctorow have now blogged about skywhale.

The full list of Google News results is staggering.

All hail Skywhale.

[Photo by Gentoopenguin]

What’s Your opinion?

22 Responses to
Skywhale keeps giving
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Thumper 3:44 pm 17 May 13

I’m waiting for the retro board game.

johnboy 3:42 pm 17 May 13

And now she’s got a wikipedia page:

poetix 1:12 pm 17 May 13

Personally, I don’t care about whether Skywhale garners international recognition, except in as much as other people elsewhere get to see this beautiful creation.

Some people really need to get beyond the notion that something needs to be acknowledged elsewhere for it to be significant. That’s a rather outmoded idea.

It’s amazing and challenging people in Canberra. That’s enough.

PoQ 11:54 am 17 May 13

If you like crikey.com, you could try First Dog on the Moon’s cartoon (http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/05/14/carry-on-up-the-lock-up/). The telling comment is

“…$350,000 of taxpayer money spent on giant fictional sea creature that doesn’t actually do anything, hardly anyone wanted, and even less understood, and most of the population were completely enraged by…” with the punchline “…I reckon that makes it the most Canberra thing I have ever seen!”

HiddenDragon 11:23 am 17 May 13

Having now seen what the thing looks like from below, I wonder whether it’s a floating sequel to Robert Luketic’s memorable 1997 short?

dungfungus 11:14 am 17 May 13

Dick Tracy said :

Masquara said :

Why the hell isn’t it branded? At least the basket! The only centenary element that gets actual exposure worldwide has no visual mention of Canberra. Sigh.

Mr Lasek obviously didn’t think to put it in the contract, however I see we’re contracted to pay around a $150,000 for social media, education resources and travel. A comment following the CT article “Drawn to Archer vision, artist cut fee” yesterday, suggests the contract with the operator has an element of “mate ship” about it. Amid all the whale wash Skywhale is gaining an odour !

The ACT “mateship” flow chart is very interesting. It is heavily underwritten by ACT ratpayers.

Roundhead89 11:09 am 17 May 13

Jeremy Lasek gave the Canberra Symphony Orchestra a huge bagging this morning on 2CC when he was trying to defend Skywhale. He said that the Skywhale had brought international recognition to Canberra, and that “CNN and the BBC didn’t bother with the Canberra Symphony”. Ouch!

Watson 10:15 am 17 May 13

pierce said :

I keep hearing talk about this national public ridicule and humiliation but I haven’t actually seen any of it yet – haven’t heard any Canberra is boring talk this week either.

The biggest whingeing is coming from whitin Canberra.

Dick Tracy 7:26 am 17 May 13

Masquara said :

Ben_Dover 6:58 am 17 May 13

Masquara said :

It isn’t branded!! Not even on the basket! The worse centenary element that gets actual exposure worldwide has no visual mention of Canberra. Great stuff!!!!

Fixed.

EvanJames 10:49 pm 16 May 13

So who is making the HATS? I want one.

dungfungus 10:07 pm 16 May 13

Solidarity said :

I’d say it’s an it.

I mean, I see the boobs, but I don’t see no Skywhale vagina.

Be careful what you wish for……………………………………………….

Masquara 6:24 pm 16 May 13

dpm 6:20 pm 16 May 13

pierce said :

Luckily they coincided its release with budget week! Good plan! Hahaha! 🙂

pierce 5:03 pm 16 May 13

Ben_Dover 4:37 pm 16 May 13

Two blogs and some daft questions in the Legi? Wow, for $300,000 I will give you much more “outside the comfort zone thinking” and mindless net chatter.

Deref 4:30 pm 16 May 13

6. “MR WALL: Chief Minister, given the current level of national public ridicule of the centenary balloon, what strategies does your government have in place to counter that ridicule?”

Erm…we could put a hat on it? Or a fetching blouse? Or maybe build an even stupider balloon and pretend Queensland did it? Work with me, people.
Gold. 24 karat gold. 😀

Solidarity 4:16 pm 16 May 13

I’d say it’s an it.

I mean, I see the boobs, but I don’t see no Skywhale vagina.

Copyright © 2018 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.