Smokers at Canberra Hospital

Vindalu 29 October 2012 73

It’s about time Canberra Hospital got serious about enforcing the total smoking ban at this health care facility and backing it up with on the spot fines.

The inconsiderate desperadoes that blithely puff away under the no smoking signs could well contribute to the cost of their own treatment and should be actively deterred from endangering the health of others.

If you want to see the extent of this problem take a look at how many butts that are swept up there every week – it’s thousands. It’s time a few butts were kicked!

73 Responses to Smokers at Canberra Hospital
bundah bundah 5:42 pm 31 Oct 12

maxblues said :

HenryBG said :

maxblues said :

HenryBileGenerator, you are showing your ignorance if you think that all obesity is the result of lifestyle choices. Many overweight people can be affected by a range of diseases and endocrinoligical disorders such as pituitary adenomas that often go undiagnosed by GPs.

Weirdly, these mysterious diseases only occur concomittently with ultra-high-calorie diets and lack of physical activity….

Wrong again HenryBeeGee. By the way, I thought Barry was the only surviving BG.

The fact is that,from ABS, ‘while genetics may play a role in a person’s propensity to become overweight or obese, the fundamental cause is an imbalance between energy consumed and energy expended. Shifts towards energy-dense diets and decreasing physical activity are two of the factors that have contributed to increases in rates of overweight and obesity’.

I would suggest that there are only a very small percentage of people who are obese,due to a medical condition.

HenryBG HenryBG 5:23 pm 31 Oct 12

maxblues said :

HenryBG said :

maxblues said :

Wrong again HenryBeeGee.

Why don’t you google for “fat people in somalia” and tell me what you find.

maxblues maxblues 4:43 pm 31 Oct 12

HenryBG said :

maxblues said :

Wrong again HenryBeeGee. By the way, I thought Barry was the only surviving BG.

HenryBG HenryBG 4:02 pm 31 Oct 12

maxblues said :

maxblues maxblues 2:30 pm 31 Oct 12

HenryBG said :

TheDancingDjinn said :

YeahBuddy said :

Thumper said :

Surely it’s time to start forcing smokers into government funded stop smoking programs for their own good.

What about the fat people? Can we force them to join Weight Watchers or the gym?

And on another note – why is it not PC to call a fat person fat, but you can bag smokers? New research has actually shown that being fat is worse for your health long term than smoking (and don’t ask me to find it and post a link, I don’t have the time nor inclination, search yourself).

how does someone’s weight infringe on your life?

For a start, when you get on a plane and sit next to me, you bend the armrests towards me, further diminishing the already restricted space I am occupying. Not content with that, you then overflow your seat and spread over the armrests filling up the tiny amount of space that was left between me and my armrest.

I knew a guy who died of emphysaema – the hospital gave him an oxygen bottle on a little trolley and he trundled around at home wheezing and sucking oxygen from his bottle for a couple of years before he died. Cost to the taxpayer? Hardly anything. Costs saved? 20 years of old-aged care nursing = an incalculable amount saved.

I also knew a woman who was obese. She was in hospital on a regular basis – her gall bladder packed up and had to be removed. She got gangrenous toes that had to be operated on. She had a fall necessitating surgery. She was a walking talking imposition on the healthcare system and of course being obese, she was very rarely available for work and in fact got herself an invalid pension, another outrageous cost to the community resulting from her lifestyle choice to eat like a pig.

TheDancingDjinn TheDancingDjinn 2:24 pm 31 Oct 12

HenryBG said :

TheDancingDjinn said :

YeahBuddy said :

Thumper said :

how does someone’s weight infringe on your life?

Im sorry sir – did i single out you in my comment? such a personal tirade for something that was not pointed toward you or any comment you have made ever.
Read all my comments slowly from now on before you attack ok scrappy doo ?

( you might catch that i am personally not heavy nor am i a smoker – nor have i ever ever in my life been on an airplane to spill into your precious seat.

TheDancingDjinn TheDancingDjinn 2:18 pm 31 Oct 12

YeahBuddy said :

TheDancingDjinn said :

YeahBuddy said :

Thumper said :

how does someone’s weight infringe on your life? apart from people’s beliefs that they have health issues that need hospital treatment. Someone’s smoking can make others sick, i used to smoke – it was not difficult for me not to smoke near entrance ways, and it was not hard for me to put my cigarette out before i threw it away, and it wasn’t hard for me to make sure my smoke didn’t go near some other peoples kids – those people and children didn’t chose to ruin their lungs – i was that moron.
Being heavy and smoking are both bad for your body, and they are both things we are never going to be able to control in others. If people want to do it then let them do it – as long as it doesn’t infringe on you, what do you care?

I was expecting way worse than that (probably still coming though!). I agree, your weight has no impact on me, and neither does someone else’s choice to smoke …. until you start throwing around that “cost to public health” argument, and then it affects us all. And to be perfectly honest, I don’t care if you smoke, or if you are overweight, I just think it is unfair that smoker’s cop it worse. Start a scare campain about the effects of being overweight and tax fatties for their unhealthy food.

I am neither fat nor a smoker… i once was both but no longer ( i mentioned that in my first post ) and i agree i think its bullshit that either of them cop crap from people. But it wont stop them eating or smoking and it wont stop people thinking its ok to put their 2c in about another persons life. People are sucky – its true.

NoImRight NoImRight 1:16 pm 31 Oct 12

HenryBG said :

NoImRight said :

So obesity is a choice and the taxpayers shouldnt have to pay but private schools are a…….?

um…a red herring? An irrelevant tangent?
(As well as being a far more efficient and effective alternative provider of education, of course).

How about a “hypocritical double standard that even its fans know they should avoid trying to justify whenever possible”?

nsn nsn 1:05 pm 31 Oct 12

Could we please have the pool-room quotes back? I would like to nominate HenryBG’s “I also knew a woman who was obese.”

HenryBG HenryBG 12:53 pm 31 Oct 12

NoImRight said :

um…a red herring? An irrelevant tangent?

NoImRight NoImRight 12:27 pm 31 Oct 12

HenryBG said :

TheDancingDjinn said :

YeahBuddy said :

Thumper said :

how does someone’s weight infringe on your life?

Jungle Jim Jungle Jim 12:04 pm 31 Oct 12

poetix said :

milkman said :

I wouldn’t mind smookers so much…

….

Smookers are so annoying, with their burning cues and tendency to block you in.

I enjoyed this post way too much.

Thanks. 🙂

Postalgeek Postalgeek 11:04 am 31 Oct 12

Watson said :

m_ratt said :

Someone else’s choice to smoke has no impact, UNTIL they smoke where their smoke mixes with the air I am breathing. Smokers 10m upwind are almost as bad as smokers adjacent. The smoke doesn’t just disappear.

Honestly… I challenge you to go stand somewhere blindfolded and then point out people smoking 10m away from you by smell..

Well, I could probably take you up on that. On occasions I can smell people smoking in cars around me, and I can certainly smell people lighting up outside on the floor below me at work. For some people, cigarette smoke is the nasal equivalent of fingernails on a blackboard.

I honestly don’t go out of my way to be offended by cigarette smoke, and generally I believe in live and let live. If smokers want to choof themselves to death, fine. Give them pleasant spaces and butt-disposal bin away from everyone else. I just don’t want to have it inflicted on me in a space where my options to avoid it are limited, like work or eating at tables.

My general ambivalence changes when I see a smoker throws a lit cigarette out of a car window during hot summers. They should be done for attempted arson. And should a cigarette butt that causes a bushfire ever be traced back to the smoker, they should be held to account for all the death and destruction caused by the fire and face lengthy prison sentences; arson, manslaughter, assault, destruction of property, cruelty to animals, the lot.

Community service should include being made to help graziers and rangers go around and put down all the stock and wildlife that have been cooked and are somehow still alive after several hours of agony.

poetix poetix 10:37 am 31 Oct 12

milkman said :

I wouldn’t mind smookers so much…

….

Smookers are so annoying, with their burning cues and tendency to block you in.

milkman milkman 7:36 am 31 Oct 12

I wouldn’t mind smookers so much if they didn’t leave the butts on the ground, or throw them out of car windows.

Yeah, yeah, it’s not ALL of them, but it’s enough that the bloody things are everywhere you go.

HenryBG HenryBG 6:40 am 31 Oct 12

TheDancingDjinn said :

YeahBuddy said :

Thumper said :

how does someone’s weight infringe on your life?

Watson Watson 10:52 pm 30 Oct 12

m_ratt said :

I bet you that the car fumes when you walk near a busy road are more harmful than that. So is indeed all the crap they put in our food. Hell, just the generalised overuse of salt will kill you way faster than a few smokers in open air.

m_ratt m_ratt 10:27 pm 30 Oct 12

YeahBuddy said :

What would the reaction be if I carried noxious poison around and started spraying it on random members of the public? – I imagine it wouldn’t go down well. But tobacco smoke….

MissChief MissChief 1:50 pm 30 Oct 12

cross said :

Yep KFC should be heavily taxed and come in plain packaging with graphic and disturbing pictures.

I actually had the same thought about cars and alcohol.

MissChief MissChief 1:23 pm 30 Oct 12

So much judgement, so little tolerance. What if the poor smokers actually enjoy their habit? It might be the only thing they have to live for.

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com