Student with a bomb at Lanyon High?

johnboy 21 February 2012 23

Around 1.15pm today, police were called to Lanyon High School after reports of a 15-year-old student making threats against others.

The school followed procedure and the student was contained within a classroom while other students were relocated from that area into a nearby hall.

The student then ran from the classroom and dropped his school bag within the grounds. The bag appeared to contain a device of some sort.

The student then fled on foot into some storm water drains nearby. He was pursued on foot by police and a teacher and was finally apprehended some distance from the school.

He was taken into custody in Flegg Crescent, Gordon and conveyed to Tuggeranong Police Station where enquiries are ongoing.

The SRS Bomb Response Team attended the high school to examine the suspicious device within the bag. This is ongoing and will result in traffic issues within the area due to police cordons.

[Courtesy ACT Policing]

23 Responses to Student with a bomb at Lanyon High?
NoImRight NoImRight 12:01 pm 22 Feb 12

HenryBG said :

So…police called to school to respond to threatening, bomb-wielding hooligan.

Was this a *public* school, by any chance?

Obvious troll is obvious

Tetranitrate Tetranitrate 11:33 am 22 Feb 12

The observation that it’s fairly common for private school kids to complete year 11/12 at a public college says a lot really.

The harsh attendance requirements alone mean that the real sh*tbags are gone after the first term of year 11, if they decide to do 11/12 at all. When I was at Hawker in 04/05, discipline issues were all but non-existent. I’m sure there were some of course, but it was incomparable to high school.

SmileOnTrial SmileOnTrial 11:21 am 22 Feb 12

What annoy’s me is some kid drops his bag while evading the cops and they feel the need to cordon off a suburb and call the bomb squad. Over react much? How many people out there do you think have bomb making skills?

pink little birdie pink little birdie 11:12 am 22 Feb 12

also it is worth noting the number of private school students who then complete year 11 and 12 at our public colleges.

I did teaching prac at a couple of public schools and a couple of private schools. The teachers were much more dedicated and consistant at the public schools despite being some of the schools with ‘bad reputations’. At one of the private schools the children may not have had visiable behaviourial issues but it took them almost 3 times as long as the public school classes to do anything.

Sirrah Sirrah 8:42 am 22 Feb 12

HenryBG said :

nyssa1976 said :

Jethro, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Henry do us all a favour and become a public high school teacher. That way you can deal with the reality that is our society and get to see first hand the EXCELLENT students in public school which you are slagging off with your patrician vs. plebian mindset……

Oh wait, you’d rather slag them all off on RA than actually do anything productive.

I’m not slagging off the “students in public school”, I’m slagging off a school system which refuses to enforce discipline, fails to support teachers who try to assert some authority, and lacks the will to protect innocent children’s learning from disruptive thugs. Decades of ideological pandering to the lowest common denominator have completely broken public education.

The chances of me taking a massive pay cut in order to subject myself to this leftie dystopia by becoming a public school teacher are nil.

I think we’re all happy with your decision there…

The wonderful schooling opportunities in Canberra mean we all have choice. We are very fortunate to have amazing teachers and students in all of our schools. The best option for you and your child isn’t necessarily the best option for your neighbours down the street.

This battle between private vs public is a superficial arguement, bad things happen in all sectors of schooling, some hide it better than others, but we all live with the challenges of raising and educating our youth. In the end a well rounded education is what everyone is trying to achieve, my admiration goes to all in the teaching profession, we clearly don’t do the job for the money…

Tooks Tooks 8:36 am 22 Feb 12

HenryBG said :

nyssa1976 said :

Jethro, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

I’d have to agree with most of that. I really feel sorry for the teachers who have a passion for their job and have to deal with a hell of a lot of crap. Same with the good students who are trying to get somewhere in life and have to deal with disruptive f-tards every day.

steveu steveu 8:01 am 22 Feb 12

At the end of the day the govt needs to put in policies to help curb negative behaviour. Current policies are ineffective. Any finger pointing should be done toward the govt, not the school itself.

HenryBG HenryBG 7:09 am 22 Feb 12

nyssa1976 said :

Jethro, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

web_guy web_guy 10:47 pm 21 Feb 12

Duffbowl writes ‘Having witnessed drug exchanges between a group of students from what would be considered a prestigious private school in Canberra, and also having had my daughter the target of bullying at another well thought of private school, I’m happy for her to attend Lanyon.

Finally… some honest comment from someone who actually knows what happened! There must be about 600 kids at Lanyon HS and one has a bit of a meltdown and the private school supporters jump at the chance to be critical. I say the staff at the school did a fantastic job in ensuring everyones safety, including the young man at risk. My support is for Lanyon HS.

Thumper Thumper 10:06 pm 21 Feb 12

nyssa1976 said :

Jethro, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

web_guy web_guy 10:03 pm 21 Feb 12

HenryBG writes ‘Ahh..pass. I’d prefer not to meet any of that scum thank you very much’.
Is this an acknowledgement of what private schools represent?

Duffbowl Duffbowl 9:52 pm 21 Feb 12

The bomb wasn’t a bomb. The student ran off just as the police were showing up; I was at the school at the time. The young man was sitting out the front, talking to a staff member, with another two looking on, keeping students, etc., away.

AnimosiTy AnimosiTy 9:39 pm 21 Feb 12

wish I could afford to send my children to a private school. there will be trouble makers in any school!
public schools need all the support they can get!
so maby you should go donate some money to help troubled teens or the schools counseling services or something useful instead of opening your big mouth!
not everyone is fortunate enough to make the money to afford private schooling.

nyssa1976 nyssa1976 8:28 pm 21 Feb 12

Jethro, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

HenryBG HenryBG 8:16 pm 21 Feb 12

TheDancingDjinn said :

HenryBG said :

So…police called to school to respond to threatening, bomb-wielding hooligan.

Was this a *public* school, by any chance?

Now while i agree some public schools here need a whole bunch of fixing – you should meet all the heroin/ice/pill dealers, junkies, car thieves, prostitutes, i knew who were all part of your precious private sector. Or you should meet the young teachers who were customers of said dealers.

Ahh..pass. I’d prefer not to meet any of that scum thank you very much.

Jethro Jethro 8:13 pm 21 Feb 12

HenryBG said :

So…police called to school to respond to threatening, bomb-wielding hooligan.

Was this a *public* school, by any chance?

Lanyon High is a public school.

The difference between public schools and private schools is that private schools are exclusive (they can pick and choose who goes there), whereas public schools are inclusive (they must enrol any student from their catchment area).

So of course you are going to have difficult kids in public schools.

You’re mistake is to continually blame these incidents on a public school system that apparently promotes bad behaviour. As someone who worked in the system and saw how much effort was put in by all staff within the system to actually try and instill some sort of moral compass in kids coming from atrocious circumstances, I can tell you it is quite offensive when you attempt to claim that public schools are teaching kids these behaviours. They are not. They are doing the best they can to deal with kids from crappy backgrounds and who have brought these behaviours with them.

The issues that public schools deal with are society wide. If private schools were suddenly required by law to have more inclusive enrollment practices (say linking enrollment practices to continued funding) you would suddenly see stuff like this at these schools too.

So until you have a solution as to how society is supposed to educate kids from really troubled backgrounds, stop smearing the hard work of those in our public schools.

TheDancingDjinn TheDancingDjinn 7:44 pm 21 Feb 12

HenryBG said :

So…police called to school to respond to threatening, bomb-wielding hooligan.

Was this a *public* school, by any chance?

HenryBG HenryBG 7:26 pm 21 Feb 12

So…police called to school to respond to threatening, bomb-wielding hooligan.

Was this a *public* school, by any chance?

The Traineediplomat The Traineediplomat 6:51 pm 21 Feb 12

A Stormwater Drain? Who does he think he is, the leader of Libya?

gazket gazket 5:37 pm 21 Feb 12

It was just a home made whoopee cushion.