News

Working together, enriching lives

Stupid, stupid people and their stupid cigarette butts

deezagood 4 December 2009 75

So on the way to work on Wednesday morning, the Monaro was at a bit of a crawl. I noticed not one, not two, but three people throwing their cigarette butts out of their car windows during this journey (two people from the same car). The ACT is a tinder-box – I can’t fathom how people think it is okay to throw lit butts into the grass on the side of the road under any circumstance – but especially when everything is so dry. But that’s okay – used my trusty camera to take photos of their rego plates (when the traffic was completely stopped of course) and I will be reporting them to the police. They will cop a fine, and will have to pay the said fine, or I will be very happy to testify to their transgressions in court. I will feel much better about the world.

If you see people littering, please – take down their rego, time and place of the offence and report them. You’ll feel so much better.

75 Responses to Stupid, stupid people and their stupid cigarette butts
1 2 3 4 Next »
cranky cranky 4:57 pm 04 Dec 09

Perhaps smoking degrades the brain power?

Medibank Tuggers main office has a real antismoking by staff stance. They cannot ban it entirely, but the main option for smokers is to stand out front on the footpath.

To try and keep the area a bit neat, maagement provided a bin for the butts. To no avail. Inconsiderate individuals seemed to delight in throwing the butts anywhere but in the bin. A couple of weeks ago, someones butt succeeded in setting fire to a 2 metre high bush in the garden, causing major damage requiring its removal.

Enough to make you give up smoking than be associated with these geese.

bugmenot bugmenot 4:47 pm 04 Dec 09

IMO people who toss butts out their window (or on the street, or generally fail to fully extinguish a butt when finished regardless of location) should be charged with attempted manslaughter, especially in the high fire danger seasons.

eyeLikeCarrots eyeLikeCarrots 2:51 pm 04 Dec 09

Holden Caulfield said :

Butts in the rain are okay?

Not are butts in the rain ok, they are alot of fun.

Are we still talking about smoking ?

deezagood deezagood 2:43 pm 04 Dec 09

Holden Caulfield said :

Butts in the rain are okay?

No, littering is not okay ever … but ‘butts in the rain’ are less likely to start bushfires that may destroy property, ruin lives, and/or kill/injure people and animals.

deezagood deezagood 2:40 pm 04 Dec 09

You just fill in a form, fax it off to the rangers and you can choose to remain anonomous if you so desire. Maybe anonomous (and not prepared to testify in court) is the safer option for those folks who may be worried about repercussions? Photos not necessary.

piperdoon piperdoon 2:38 pm 04 Dec 09

was driving on the GDE about 11.45am yesterday mitchell bound near kaleen and there was a grass fire on the left being hosed down by a couple of cement trucks and guys beating flames with jackets – looked very much like a fag butt fire – firies there soon after and sorted but coming backthet way maybe 15 minutes later mitchell bound traffic was halted for about a km. People who fling burning butts need a hefty penalty – $10000 etc given recent fire histories imho.

Tooks Tooks 2:34 pm 04 Dec 09

@ #12 Generally speaking, it’s okay to take photos in a public place without asking permission.

As for proving this person threw a butt without another witness…difficult.

Clown Killer Clown Killer 2:13 pm 04 Dec 09

It’s my understanding that anyone can take your picture in a public place for whatever purpose and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it. You have no explicit right to privacy when you’re out and about.

The Great Bambino The Great Bambino 1:47 pm 04 Dec 09

farq said :

Oh deezagood, sounds like a double standard to me.

I wonder what will happen when the people you accused of littering get back at you by accusing you of say ‘driving in a manner meant to intimidate me’, or that you ‘threatened them with assault’.

Most people think the best way to deal with a vexatious litigant is to return the favour, so be careful. You never know how spiteful random people can be. The wise man would just it go (in my humble opinion).

And not to forget the old favourite, “I said, you said” rule.

“What’s that you say, you have a photo?
Please show me on the photo the errant butt is?
Also please inform me of when you asked for my permission to photograph either myself or property?”

This does open a big can of worms, even for someone little legal knowledge, like myself.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 1:43 pm 04 Dec 09

I’ve just bought a pair of motorcross type motorbike boots, they have steel tips on the front edges of the sole.

The next person who throws a butt out of the window when I am riding behind them, which happens so fecking often, I will follow until they stop, and kick their lights out.

remmi2 remmi2 1:42 pm 04 Dec 09

Makes me mad also. If I see these actions, I tend to give them the horn or highbeam them.
Good on you deezagood!

farq farq 1:02 pm 04 Dec 09

Oh deezagood, sounds like a double standard to me.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 12:44 pm 04 Dec 09

Butts in the rain are okay?

deezagood deezagood 11:46 am 04 Dec 09

Aaaah AstralPlane – I really am no wowser and profess to also being a bit ‘civilly disobedient’ at times (especially when parking); but people who throw their crap out of car windows (like the glass bottles that cut up my dog’s feet and butts in the middle of a drought) send me over the edge.

AstralPlane AstralPlane 11:33 am 04 Dec 09

Ah, Deezagood I love you. There’s no way I have the time or energy to do the same but when I see it I wish I did. It is very generous and community minded of you to go to the effort.

Where does this kind of community policing stop? I confess I don’t mind being cheeky. Sometimes I stop where it says ‘no stopping’. I also let off fireworks… only the pretty ones that go sparkly fizz, not ‘bang’, but it’s my little act of rebellion against our new found wowserism. So, while on the one hand I say I love you, on the other I wonder if there’s someone to dob me in too?

Anyway, that’s a bit aside. The point is we should all do something to raise awareness about butts.

54-11 54-11 11:31 am 04 Dec 09

What is just as bad is when these morons throw their butts out just as a motor bike goes past. Getting a flaming butt (I know, there’s a joke there somewhere) under the visor or through the open-face is no joke.

Fkn morons.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:08 am 04 Dec 09

A couple of days after the worst of January 03 fires I was sent home as my suburb was on high alert. While I was out checking on our garden and roof gutters I noticed a guy drive past our corner block and throw out a ciggy but on to our verge, which was/still is a large native garden.

That guy took out the trifecta that day – stupid, ignorant and selfish!

Not sure I would have felt much better if I took down his details and ran off to the coppers, mind, but that’s just me. A few expletives yelled in his direction seemed to do the trick.

H1NG0 H1NG0 10:21 am 04 Dec 09

Good work. On a similar note, is smoking in cars with children illegal yet? I saw one such parenting fail this morning with a woman smoking like a chimney with a car full of kids.

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 10:18 am 04 Dec 09

Yay! One of my all-time pet hates. Good on you, I will start to do likewise.

Postalgeek Postalgeek 10:13 am 04 Dec 09

I would hope that tossing a cigarette butt out of a car during the fire season is made a criminal offence. I certainly plan to report any !@#$er I spot. And I would add that tossers should be taken out into the field and made to work, rebuild, and euthanise all the stock and wildlife that can’t be saved after a fire.

1 2 3 4 Next »

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.