Stupid, stupid people and their stupid cigarette butts

deezagood 4 December 2009 75

So on the way to work on Wednesday morning, the Monaro was at a bit of a crawl. I noticed not one, not two, but three people throwing their cigarette butts out of their car windows during this journey (two people from the same car). The ACT is a tinder-box – I can’t fathom how people think it is okay to throw lit butts into the grass on the side of the road under any circumstance – but especially when everything is so dry. But that’s okay – used my trusty camera to take photos of their rego plates (when the traffic was completely stopped of course) and I will be reporting them to the police. They will cop a fine, and will have to pay the said fine, or I will be very happy to testify to their transgressions in court. I will feel much better about the world.

If you see people littering, please – take down their rego, time and place of the offence and report them. You’ll feel so much better.

What’s Your opinion?

75 Responses to
Stupid, stupid people and their stupid cigarette butts
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
Tooks 8:50 pm 05 Dec 09

@#38. Big difference. Have a think about it.

deezagood 8:10 pm 05 Dec 09

Just to clarify – I am not part of the anti-smoking brigade. I loved smoking – I haven’t had one for about a year, but up until 12 months ago, I was a regular ‘only smoke when drinking’ person who enjoyed the very occasional cigarette. I had to stop smoking a year ago, because my part-time occasional ciggie gradually turned into a ‘I have to have one every day’ addiction, and I refuse to be addicted to anything. So I stopped – but I really miss it. I am not judging smokers – I am judging people who throw their live butts out of car windows.

Anna Key 6:40 pm 05 Dec 09

Rawhide Kid No 2 said :

Ceej1973 said :

Um, There is a thing called “positive proof” of an offense committed. Other wise every Tom, Dick or Harry could dob in any Jim, George or Jimmy for any thing they like. Taking photos of rego plates doesn’t prove a thing, Complaining about the ‘Unknown’ butt thrower isn’t proof of anything. You would have to catch the person in the act with proof. And be able to identify that person. Not necessarily the driver or owner of the said vehicle from which the cigarette butt was thrown from.

You mean like speed cameras

54-11 6:02 pm 05 Dec 09

You should know by now, Mordd, that RA contributors consider that child molesters, cyclists and smokers are somewhat on the same plane, and that these lowlifes are about the only classes (significantly) rated above the Stanhope govt.

Where else can we have such a satisfying whinge about about our favourite hates?

Mordd 4:04 pm 05 Dec 09

As a smoker who is responsible about their butts, it annoys me too see the anti-smoking brigade so willing to burn down the house to fix a broken window, or to put it another way, so willing to lynch someone because they were seen near the “crime”.

I checked that form that was linked though, and it clearly states:

YOU MUST BE WILLING TO ATTEND COURT IF REQUIRED
I declare that I am willing to attend court, and that this declaration is true and correct.

Thank goodness the law hasn’t lost its common sense at least. One aspect that is often ignored though, is that in the wake of the post September 11 security paranoia, a LOT of rubbish bins and even butt receptacles were REMOVED from public spaces due to fears someone might plant a bomb in one. In many public places these days finding somewhere to put your butt out, even if you are willing to walk a way to find a bin as I am, can be tough. I carry mine with me instead, but its an impact not thought about.

Now yes I know, this article in particular is about butts out of cars, where you could but it out inside the car in the ashtray, which is obviously just lazy and not acceptable by any means, however the comments following come from a more general perspective of “all smokers are evil doers and actively seek to leave their butts where they can cause a fire at all opportunities” type of mentality, so I thought I would point it out and the fact that some of us are responsible with our butts.

el 2:12 pm 05 Dec 09

Enny said :

I can’t believe how many inconsiderate smokers are out there, crowding around entries/exits, or ruining a perfectly good outside meal!

Sit inside then.

Tooks 11:46 am 05 Dec 09

Comment #31, spot on. One statement saying a person threw a butt out of YAB123 means nothing, unless the offender confesses (yeah right) or there is at least one corroborating statement.

farq 11:08 am 05 Dec 09

i say people who park illegally near crossings should be charged with attempted murder then handed over to the mob.

the bastards…

Rawhide Kid No 2 10:32 am 05 Dec 09

remmi2 said :

Makes me mad also. If I see these actions, I tend to give them the horn or highbeam them.
Good on you deezagood!

“Highbeaming” could land you a hefty fine and lose of points if caught.

Rawhide Kid No 2 10:28 am 05 Dec 09

Ceej1973 said :

Ceej1973 4:52 am 05 Dec 09

deezagood said :

You just fill in a form, fax it off to the rangers and you can choose to remain anonomous if you so desire. Maybe anonomous (and not prepared to testify in court) is the safer option for those folks who may be worried about repercussions? Photos not necessary.

Great form and link Deeza. I wonder if the ACT Govt. website is as pro active as this linked one?

Ceej1973 4:48 am 05 Dec 09

Holden Caulfield said :

Butts in the rain are okay?

You dont seriously think that ciggie tossers stop to think, “oh its raining so I can toss now, and oh its a heat wave, better not”, no I don’t think so either!

Ceej1973 2:41 am 05 Dec 09

The Police dont actually do anything about this when you ring up, unless you want to take it all the way, make statements, go to court etc, I have tried this way. I wrote to the then Minister for Parks & Territories, Hargreaves, about what on the spot fines can be introduced, same as Victoria has up and running for ciggie tossers (fire bugs). The responce I got from him was that his Department does not deal with the issue, even though the Rangers had been taking calls from me for 12 months prior to me writing.Whenever I called the Rangers Office, they advised me that any calls they recieved were followed up with TAMS for rego details then a call to the owner of vehicle. Funny that the in-correct responce I got from the Minister back then, was emailed (most likely written too) by his then advisor, Andrew Barr. At least they said they would follow up on the matter with the Police, but they never did, and the issue still stands. Nobody wants to take responsability!

Enny 1:03 am 05 Dec 09

I can’t wait for the new stronger anti-smoking ban to be in… I’ve got a medical ‘thing’ at the moment that makes being near cigarette smoke more dangerous than usual, so I’ve paid a lot more attention to how many smokers are out and about.

Postalgeek 11:33 pm 04 Dec 09

deezagood said :

One little factoid taken from the site:

The Country Fire Authority has confirmed that the recent Black Saturday fire in Bendigo West was caused by a discarded cigarette butt. This fire resulted in the death of two people, the loss of over 50 homes and livestock fatalities exceeding 1,000 animals.

I don’t think fines cut it. There’s nothing accidental about discarding a lit cigarette during high fire danger, and the action deserves jail time. Driving a truck and running over two people, ploughing through 50 homes, and running down 1000 animals, would probably garner more than an on-the-spot fine.

Vic 10:48 pm 04 Dec 09

I’m thinking of getting some stickers printed, “Bushfires are FUN!!” , and attaching them to cars whose drivers are knucklehead butt flickers. Chances are that vehement members of the public might set fire to their car. Warped, perhaps, but the fantasy gives much pleasure.

Mordd 9:09 pm 04 Dec 09

Ahhh vigilante justice, the best kind right?

Anna Key 7:59 pm 04 Dec 09

Often wondered why people insist on smoking but don’t seem to like the concept of a butt in their car.

georgesgenitals 6:09 pm 04 Dec 09

Dirty smokers. It’s not just a few of them either, it’s lots.

cranky 5:00 pm 04 Dec 09

That should of course be Medicare. An editing allowance would be great.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.