Stupid, stupid people and their stupid cigarette butts

deezagood 4 December 2009 75

So on the way to work on Wednesday morning, the Monaro was at a bit of a crawl. I noticed not one, not two, but three people throwing their cigarette butts out of their car windows during this journey (two people from the same car). The ACT is a tinder-box – I can’t fathom how people think it is okay to throw lit butts into the grass on the side of the road under any circumstance – but especially when everything is so dry. But that’s okay – used my trusty camera to take photos of their rego plates (when the traffic was completely stopped of course) and I will be reporting them to the police. They will cop a fine, and will have to pay the said fine, or I will be very happy to testify to their transgressions in court. I will feel much better about the world.

If you see people littering, please – take down their rego, time and place of the offence and report them. You’ll feel so much better.

What’s Your opinion?

75 Responses to
Stupid, stupid people and their stupid cigarette butts
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
deezagood 7:51 pm 07 Dec 09

Swan said :

Dont report them to the police, the deed has already been done.

You should’ve gotten out of your car, walked up to them and said “hey, do you know what happens when burning cigarette + dry grass?”

Reporting them to the police is a gutlessly violent thing to do.

In moving traffic on the Monaro during peak hour??? Yes – what a terrific idea.

MissChief 6:52 pm 07 Dec 09

The scariest thing about this page is the vicious vigilante. Can’t we all just be a little more tolerant? I’m sure we all do things that annoy others… and let’s face it, we hardly live in a toxin free environment, far from it.

Tooks 6:15 pm 07 Dec 09

Swan said :

Dont report them to the police, the deed has already been done.

Reporting them to the police is a gutlessly violent thing to do.

Gutlessly violent?

Tooks 6:12 pm 07 Dec 09

Anna Key said :

Tooks said :

Make a silly comment, get a silly answer.

Given you aren’t going to let it rest, my original comment was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Can we be friends now?

Of course we can. My comments are never meant to be personal. This is just shits and giggles 🙂

Anna Key 5:26 pm 07 Dec 09

Tooks said :

Make a silly comment, get a silly answer.

Can we be friends now?

Sgt.Bungers 4:58 pm 07 Dec 09

It’s even more fun when the person in front of you throws their butt out the window when you’re on a motorbike and it gets caught in your clothes. Had someone do that to me once on the way into Braidwood last summer, it could’ve been very nasty.

IMHO, fines for being caught throwing a cigarette butt onto dry grass need to be based on the fire danger rating that day.

Eg:
Low/Moderate/High = $250 fine
Very High = $500
Severe = $1500
Extreme = $2500
Catastrophic = Arrest, $10,000 fine and/or community service/prison.

Well advertised penalties such as these would be a real deterrent to those smokers who are apparently apathetic of prevailing weather conditions.

Swan 4:55 pm 07 Dec 09

Dont report them to the police, the deed has already been done.

Reporting them to the police is a gutlessly violent thing to do.

Tooks 1:56 pm 07 Dec 09

My last comment was to comment #50.

MissChief: Good idea.

Tooks 1:51 pm 07 Dec 09

Make a silly comment, get a silly answer.

MissChief 1:26 pm 07 Dec 09

I have a suggestion for the smokers who, for whatever reason, throw their cigarette butts out the car window; use a soft drink bottle instead. You can keep in it the car with a little bit of liquid in it, put your lit cigarette butts in it, put the top back on and give it a little shake if you need to. It keeps butts, smoke and smell safely locked inside, no more stinky ashtray or threat of fire. When the bottle gets too disgusting, throw it in the bin and get another.

Anna Key 8:41 am 07 Dec 09

Tooks said :

Anna Key said :

Rawhide Kid No 2 said :

Anna Key said :

——–snip———

You mean like speed cameras

Different legislation.

Grow up and don’t take comments on the internet so personally. I don’t have a problem (who cares if I did anyway?) about you questioning law enforcement, I just thought the question was silly.

And ditto your response.

Tooks 8:23 am 07 Dec 09

Anna Key said :

Rawhide Kid No 2 said :

Anna Key said :

——–snip———

You mean like speed cameras

Different legislation.

There’s a world of difference between a certified instrument recording a person’s speed and taking a photo, to Joe Schmoe taking a pic *after* the offence has occurred.

deezagood 8:09 am 07 Dec 09

Okay – enough already. The rego photos were just taken to get the plates down – quicker and easier than finding a pen and piece of paper. So many people have camera phones now, so this might be a quick way for them to record plates too. The legalities or otherwise of the photo are not relevant in this case.

Anna Key 9:29 pm 06 Dec 09

Rawhide Kid No 2 said :

Anna Key said :

——–snip———

You mean like speed cameras

Different legislation.

yes I know, but I wonder about the comparison between you/me taking a photo of a car where the driver is committing an offence and a speed/red light camera taking a photo. And sorry Tooks, I do think about it, that’s what makes be a sentient being, and hence my comment. but if it will make you happy,I will never question any law enforcement legislation again (even those I have drafted myself).

deezagood 2:09 pm 06 Dec 09

I gotta agree ith you Granny – get online peoples!

Granny 1:10 pm 06 Dec 09

deezagood said :

You just fill in a form, fax it off to the rangers and you can choose to remain anonomous if you so desire. Maybe anonomous (and not prepared to testify in court) is the safer option for those folks who may be worried about repercussions? Photos not necessary.

From the nobutts.com.au website:

“Australian Capital Territory:
Currently there is no web link available to report Tossers in the ACT, however reports can be lodged via fax or snail mail.”

What kind of century is the ACT living in that they can’t figure out how to provide people with a weblink to report this stuff? Fax, my fat aunt!! Somebody should help the ACT City Rangers figure out how to crawl out of the last millenium.

Rawhide Kid No 2 10:53 am 06 Dec 09

Anna Key said :

——–snip———

You mean like speed cameras

Different legislation.

Mimiboo 10:47 am 06 Dec 09

Have to agree with you with Mordd.

Gerry-Built 10:44 am 06 Dec 09

Stoopid people throw ciggies out of car windows, but what level of parenting makes people think they can do this?

…in the carpark between Anzac Park West and the great CIT carpark…

Mordd 10:52 pm 05 Dec 09

This is not directed at you deezagood but I do find sometimes the worst non-smokers are the ex-smokers, who vindictively attack any smokers to try and make themselves feel better about quitting.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.