With Summernats starting tomorrow the Department of Territory and Municipal Services is giving notice of the traffic changes they’re planning for the event:
• Delays are to be expected on Flemington Road. Motorists are advised to use the Gungahlin Drive route to and from Gungahlin. Alternative routes will be signposted.
• The possible closure of the southbound carriageway of Flemington Road between Lysaght Street and Randwick Road if significant traffic congestion is experienced. The northbound carriageway will remain open to traffic. Buses and taxis will still be able to use Flemington Road in both directions between Northbourne Avenue and Randwick Road.
• Stirling Avenue will be closed between Northbourne Avenue and Aspinall Street in Watson.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
• Phillip Avenue and Swinden Street will remain open to traffic at all times.
• Delays are also to be expected on Northbourne Avenue near EPIC, although access along Northbourne Avenue will still be permitted. Motorists will be encouraged to use the signposted alternative routes of Antill Street and Wakefield Avenue.
• Additional parking will be available to the north of EPIC, accessed via Sandford Street or Wells Station Road.
• An ‘Alcohol Fee Zone’ will be created along Aspinall Street, Stirling Avenue, Northbourne Avenue, Lonsdale Street and the Federal Highway, as well as short sections of Wells Station Road, Phillip Avenue and the parking area north of Exhibition Park. These zones will be signposted.
• ‘No Parking’ and ‘No Camping’ signs will be erected on both sides of Northbourne Avenue
The ‘Nats this year are running from 6 January to 9 January.