Swine flu here – *yawn*

johnboy 28 September 2009 61

So there’s a case of swine flu here in Canberra, details to follow.

The bloke apparently has symptoms similar to a mild cold.

Wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough, stay home if you’re poorly.

Also watching the ways this is spreading my guess is that it’s already endemic but if panicking makes you feel good then now’s the time.

Swine flu

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

UPDATED: The ABC report on this is now online.

ANOTHER UPDATE: The CT’s report is also available.

61 Responses to Swine flu here – *yawn*
caf caf 3:46 pm 26 May 09

sepi: There’s a fine line between an appropriately cautious response, and an overreaction that will cost lives in the future due to the “crying wolf” effect.

johnboy johnboy 3:42 pm 26 May 09

sepi said :

It still could turn out to be really nasty. And even if it doesn’t, our govt should be acting as if it is a killer, in case it is.

So far I’m pretty underwhelmed by the response. I’d have been closing every school that had a hint of swine flu connection, testing everyone with flu symptoms, and recommending all travel be minimised unless really necessary.

If this is our best crisis response, we are in trouble if a pandemic does happen.

Sepi, your ability to be terrified of absolutely everything is a monument to something.

sepi sepi 3:36 pm 26 May 09

dalryk dalryk 3:31 pm 26 May 09

Trunking symbols said :

I heard someone on the radio say that the entire population of the world will be dead within six months because of this swine flu. So I suggest that some of our more frivolous and lighthearted contributors pull their heads in . . .

I heard someone on the radio say you’re an idiot.

johnboy johnboy 2:58 pm 26 May 09

Trunking symbols said :

We could all be dead in six months from any number of things.

This is considerably less likely than many others.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 2:48 pm 26 May 09

Trunking symbols said :

I heard someone say on the radio that the zombie holocaust will claim us all in the next three months.

peterh peterh 2:36 pm 26 May 09

Trunking symbols said :

why?

if it is that bad, why not have a bit of frivolity?

Trunking symbols Trunking symbols 2:32 pm 26 May 09

mutley mutley 2:22 pm 26 May 09

I’m not worried, I got some oinkment

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 1:40 pm 26 May 09

lolz

Feathergirl Feathergirl 1:33 pm 26 May 09

My husband currently has a cold, so I called the Swine Flu hotline, but all I heard was… crackling!!! OOOOOHOHOHOHO Sorry my post is just… SPAM HEHEHEHEHE. I need to get out more.

Thumper Thumper 12:53 pm 26 May 09

You can’t ignore history Thumper

Actually I’m just not that worried. When tens of thousands start keeling over then i may be.

peterh peterh 12:44 pm 26 May 09

Thumper said :

I suspect that the world is long overdue for a rash of shark attacks.

Yes, even in freshwater as they’ll mutate to adapt to global warming. Millions will die, mark my words.

Remember, you heard it here first…

mutant sharks rising up and attacking us en masse? saw a movie like that once.

and what has happened to the price of pork? not a damn thing. come on people, start panicking and drive the prices down!

ant ant 12:06 pm 26 May 09

sepi said :

I’m sure lots of asthmatics, pregnant people and other risk groups would also prefer it wasn’t on the loose.

Scoff away though if you are young and healthy – but remember – this is an unknown disease, and the second wave could be a lot worse than the first.

Yep. This thing has got world health people very worried, it’s not just “a flu”. Heck, every year they have to make decisions about what strains of flu to include in the vaccines, and many get left out. Yet this one’s got them all tense.

The real flu season starts when it gets cold enough to have the strain really hitting its straps. The icy temperatures in June should see that happening, and then it will start to morph. If it’s really as bad as the experts think it could become, those of us who aren’t hearty young animals might have something very real to be worried about.

July might be interesting but I hope it’s not.

weeziepops weeziepops 11:54 am 26 May 09

Thank goodness all levels of government will have spent hours and dollars developing crisis management plans to deal with the dreaded swine flu.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:53 am 26 May 09

deezagood said :

deezagood said :

If you believe the media (and I don’t necessarily) and my (far more trustworthy) local doctor, the world is long overdue for a killer flu pandemic that will take many lives … but I suspect the swine flu isn’t it.

You can’t ignore history Thumper.

Oh yes you can.

gun street girl gun street girl 11:48 am 26 May 09

deezagood said :

You might be right – but in the early days, it’s not a gamble anybody is willing to take.

Put it this way: you’ve found a new mutated virus, to which just about everybody’s immune system is totally naive. It is very similar to a virus that wiped out millions a few decades ago. You’ve got evidence that it can kill people on a small scale, and you know how it’s transmitted.

So what do you do? Dismiss it as a small thing when compared to garden variety influenza? Or do you assume the worst, make moves to contain it, thereby minimising its (still to be ascertained) widespread effect?

deezagood deezagood 11:43 am 26 May 09

deezagood said :

You can’t ignore history Thumper.

Thumper Thumper 11:40 am 26 May 09

I suspect that the world is long overdue for a rash of shark attacks.

Remember, you heard it here first…