Taking a knife to court

johnboy 9 September 2010 30

The ABC has the good news that a woman bringing a hunting knife into the magistrate’s court has been detected , questioned by police, and cautioned.

Good work everyone!

30 Responses to Taking a knife to court
Rossco Downunder Rossco Downunder 11:32 pm 09 Sep 10

I’d add that if my theory is correct she was interested in Court Room 4.

Rossco Downunder Rossco Downunder 10:58 pm 09 Sep 10

All I’m pointing out is that whether or not it is typical for this individual to carry such a knife… let alone into a court.

It remains NOT typical.

Police would be well advised to find out why she was there. Because, the Supreme Court lacks that metal detector.

exfed2 exfed2 6:25 pm 09 Sep 10

Postalgeek said :

Of course, if someone has a C scenario, I’m all ears.

Scenario C? Maybe the officer who issued the caution has a very heavy workload and saw down the dreaded tunnel which would be a charge for the offence. And excercised a little discretion

exfed2 exfed2 6:16 pm 09 Sep 10

Postalgeek, the fact your obviously of the opinion that a woman is any less dangerous than a man with a sharp edged weapon tells me a lot. Physical strength has nothing to do with this. Please

Nobody is saying she had a premeditated plan to use said knife however more likely is the fact that she carries this knife about her person regularly and as Rossco pointed out saw the detectors and ‘remembered’ rather than be caught not declaring.

Fact remains for a caution to be issued an offence must be proven, it’s that simple. In this case the caution would have been in leui of a summons to attend caught for the offence I have previously mentioned.

Let’s forget court, what about the trip down the shops, the drive in the car etc etc. Is it ok for her to have the knife on these occasions? No it’s illegal!

I’m dreading the fiasco that will be called justice when the scum who shot Cst Crews stand trial. Oh the ignorance and excuses that will flow

p1 p1 6:02 pm 09 Sep 10

c) the knife was planted by reptoids to discredit her, and prevent her from revealing the conspiracy to have Mully take over the ACT using subliminal messages hidden in soggy copies of the chronical.

Rossco Downunder Rossco Downunder 5:42 pm 09 Sep 10

No, I was more thinking that a woman might have a knife specifically because she wasn’t “renowned for physical strength” and it was an equaliser. If her purpose for being in the court is highly-emotional, as is likely, that might motivate some atypical behaviour. Also, a knife can be an ambush weapon as well as a melee weapon.

I think it’s atypical that a woman is carrying a knife such as that AT ALL. Would any fem-rioters like to comment on whether you have a knife alongside your lippy?

Postalgeek Postalgeek 5:07 pm 09 Sep 10

So faced with the possibility that A)a woman, a demographic not overly renowned for physical strength and violence, has planned to commit a premeditated physical assault with a melee weapon in a secure building, and having changed her mind decides to declare herself to the security checkpoint anyway instead of simply turning around, or B)that she forgot she had a knife in her bag,you’d go with A?

If you do that’s fine, but for the record I’d go with B, and I’m guessing I’d find the explanation for having the knife in scenario B probably more believable than scenario A. Looks like the police, who deal with a lot of knives, chose B too.

Of course, if someone has a C scenario, I’m all ears.

p1 p1 5:04 pm 09 Sep 10

Surely if she wanted to kill someone she would build a ceramic gun and take it through the metal detectors… I saw it in a clint eastwood movie.

PBO PBO 4:25 pm 09 Sep 10

*Intended* Doh!

PBO PBO 4:24 pm 09 Sep 10

Rossco Downunder said :

Were they taking the measurement from the hilt to the blade or from the handle? This can make all the difference when putting a scare out through the media. Maybe she had really bad callouses on her feet and this was the only way to remove them, I myself use a Randall Model 14 to do my feet but that is irrellevant as this story is not about me but her.

Why dont we try to figure out who her inteded victim was through assumptions and armchair detective work? C’mon Horatio’s.

gospeedygo gospeedygo 3:59 pm 09 Sep 10

Rossco Downunder said :

She just came back from hunting Salmon in a nearby stream.

Rossco Downunder Rossco Downunder 3:47 pm 09 Sep 10

Postalgeek: The Canberra Times describes it as being 22cm. So, it’s a fairly substantial knife. Whilst some people might actually use hunting knives for hunting, etc. Not too many of them then store said knife in a handbag. It IS suspicious behaviour in a court in an urban area. Guns also are legit hunting tools but people get tetchy when they’re “accidentally” taken into say a bank.

As exfed2 points out what she did was illegal and it’s pretty difficult to see why she was not charged.

That she fessed-up might be as much about chickening out of committing a serious crime as anything else when she realised that the (fairly new) metal detector would prevent her getting it (in)to her intended victim. A court is rather overendowed with the lower forms of human life.

Postalgeek Postalgeek 3:25 pm 09 Sep 10

‘Hunting’ knife is a vague term for all sorts of knives, from small skinning knives, knives with guthooks, through to Rambo serrated motherhumpers that the media like to envisage. For those who like to get their food from sources other than supermarkets, such knives are common and get daily use, scaling fish, dressing rabbits or chooks, or whatever. I’m guessing she forgot about it and realised as she put her handbag down that she still had the knife.

She declared it BEFORE she was screened. Not the big story we’d like to think it is.

exfed2 exfed2 1:21 pm 09 Sep 10

Caution……. what happened to possession of a knife in a public place?

Section 382

Caution? What about at least an appearance I mean she was already there 🙂

Rossco Downunder Rossco Downunder 12:59 pm 09 Sep 10

If anyone can give this moron a name… perhaps the RiotACT is a forum where they can be named-and-shamed?

S4anta S4anta 12:05 pm 09 Sep 10

perhaps the shallower end of the ACT gene pool is taking a literal action line in regards to Occam’s Razor.

PBO PBO 11:41 am 09 Sep 10

Maybe it matched her purse?

squirell squirell 11:28 am 09 Sep 10

I’m curious how far into the Magistrates Court she made it with this knife. I work for a law firm and have to go to the courts each day to pick up and drop off documents and i’ve been pulled aside at the metal detector/xray for having a credit card shaped bottle opener in my wallet, which i had to surrender to the guards before going any further.

2.0 2.0 11:13 am 09 Sep 10

No Woman’s hanbag is complete without one.

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 11:01 am 09 Sep 10

I like that she has ‘forgotten to remove it’ from her bag. Most women I know regularly carry hunting knives.