Tales from the polling booths

breda 7 September 2013 32

So, what’s the goss about polling booths today?

Tags

32 Responses to Tales from the polling booths
goggles13 goggles13 6:17 am 08 Sep 13

other than having to dodge the how-to-vote people in the car park with my car, the voting process was quite painless where I went.

however, in this day and age, in some booths, the pencils should be on the left hand side to make it easier to write.

then again, when will we go to electronic voting?

breda breda 1:19 am 08 Sep 13

Not quite up to the high standard set by Holden Caulfield, but I should mention this.

When I got my sausage sandwich, some of the accompanying onions were burnt. “Sorry”, mumbled the hapless chef, but a confident, buxom young woman next to him assured me that they were jus ‘caramelised.’

“Caramelised”, I said – “They charge extra for that in fancy restaurants.”

He looked up at me with no expression and said: “Yeah, I been watchin’ MasterChef.”

OK, you had to be there.

But, that dry, deadpan Aussie humour is a national treasure.

BimboGeek BimboGeek 11:25 pm 07 Sep 13

I got three texts from Clive Palmer, but mine didn’t come through until 10:14am.

Wonder why he loves me so much?

EvanJames EvanJames 10:54 pm 07 Sep 13

I voted last Monday, just after lunch. There were no sausages and since Morrisett House in Quangers is an office building, the annoying leaflet people out front didn’t know who to acost. No queues, but they need to make the booths wider to accommodate the Senate ballot papers. although they did supply magnifying glasses.

I don’t know why everyone doesn’t pre-poll. It’s easy and convenient, and if everyone did it, the parties could save our money and stop buying advertising for the last 2 weeks.

Very Busy Very Busy 10:53 pm 07 Sep 13

grunge_hippy said :

He was very busy all day.

I think he was an imposter.

reepy reepy 9:52 pm 07 Sep 13

Primal said :

Spruikers were in the same place this time as they were in 2010, from memory.

They only have to be 6m from the door in a federal election. Way too close IMHO. It would have been nice to see a chalk line.

grunge_hippy grunge_hippy 9:32 pm 07 Sep 13

my brother, who is a BSO at a school said he had to tell several of the supporters off for climbing on the roof to put up banners and such, and that there were lots of arguments throughout the day if someone put their sign in front of someone else. He was very busy all day with their shenanigans.

screaming banshee screaming banshee 9:31 pm 07 Sep 13

Still managed to get around the how to voters, but rather displeased to be woken by a spam text from Clive Palmer at 6am….is this a violation of the blackout? I’d be happy to lodge a formal complaint if it is.

johnboy johnboy 10:36 pm 07 Sep 13

blackout applies to broadcast on public spectrum.

Not print, not online, not phones.

Primal Primal 8:01 pm 07 Sep 13

switch said :

Yes. Wasn’t it supposed to be 100 ft (or even metres)? Has it changed?

100m exclusion is only for territory elections. Spruikers were in the same place this time as they were in 2010, from memory.

All nice and civilised in Isabella Plains around 9am, maybe a 10 minute wait all up. The sausages hit the spot and there’s far too much of the chocolate brownie already eaten…

LSWCHP LSWCHP 7:56 pm 07 Sep 13

justin heywood said :

Did anyone else notice the party hawkers a LOT closer to the polling booths today?

Also amused to be accosted by a GetUp! person doing an ‘independent’ survey. I’m sure they’re really interested in how I was going to vote.

That was the first thing I noticed when I turned up.

switch switch 7:00 pm 07 Sep 13

justin heywood said :

Yes. Wasn’t it supposed to be 100 ft (or even metres)? Has it changed?

justin heywood justin heywood 6:27 pm 07 Sep 13

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 6:21 pm 07 Sep 13

Oh, one chap got an all round laugh from those handing out the leaflets at the Telopea Park booth when he was asked if he wanted a how to vote card from the Euthanasia Party.

His reply: “Not yet!”

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 6:09 pm 07 Sep 13

I thought it might be a nice idea to vote at Old Parliament House. Seems like much of Canberra and all our interstate visitors thought the same.

I did turn up at 12:30pm, which I expect was one of the busier times of day, so I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised that there was a 1 hour wait for local voters.

So I went to Telopea Park school and managed to get my vote done in 5 minutes or so. I did have to wait a good 10-15 minutes for my election snag though. Still, a better reward waiting for a sausage than queuing for an hour to vote!

Ello Vera Ello Vera 5:59 pm 07 Sep 13

Voted at Gowrie just before midday. I have never waited as long to vote, there was a large, slow-moving queue.

I have been comparing our system and the advantages of compulsory voting to those in Britain and the US. They have all sorts of logistical problems that our system avoids, usually. They vote on weekdays and have no idea how many voters are going to present etc.

This time around, maybe everybody chose to vote at around the same time. I can’t imaging that level of demand all day.

There seem to be predominately two sorts of voters: those, like me, who reject all how-to-vote bumf and others who have a copy of every party’s flyers. Very few in between.

m_ratt m_ratt 5:54 pm 07 Sep 13

The AEC were completely unprepared for the turnout at Old Parliament House. At 11:30 the queue to vote was a complete loop of the corridors around the senate chamber, before it was rerouted. Waiting time of 1hour+. Only 5 printed rolls and 15-20 booths to vote in (for ACT voters).

I heard that they expected only 600 voters but had 4000 through by 2pm.

Oops.

breda breda 5:40 pm 07 Sep 13

OK, I’ll kick off. At mine (Narrabundah Primary) they had very fine sausages sizzling (not just the cheapest from the local supermarket). The Simon Sheikh stall was run by a bunch of high school kids. None of them was old enough to vote, thank goodness.

The how to vote card handers-out were well mannered – I suspect that having a nice Spring day to be on duty helped. One of the local junkies was spotted staggering along the road asking every person she met “whereduyugoduvote?”

The first two cubicles I entered were missing their pencils – suspect that Ms Junkie’s partner had been in earlier. The usual informal market was set up in a house just along from the polling booth.

All in all, just a typical election day in the ‘bundah.

Jethro Jethro 5:37 pm 07 Sep 13

LSWCHP said :

We got to Giralang Primary about 1:30 and all the freedom sausages had been sold, which was a bummer. And it seemed like everybody had voted early, because there was no queue, and only a couple of other people voted in the ten minutes or so we were there.

I’m a long time Labor voter, but we have to move the ACT away from its Labor safe seat image. Go you minor parties! Tactical voting FTW!

I got to my voting booth at 7:50, thinking I’d beat the rush but ended up at the back of a long queue. Was out by about 8:20. The freedom sausages weren’t cooked yet.

LSWCHP LSWCHP 5:30 pm 07 Sep 13

Rawhide Kid Part3 Rawhide Kid Part3 5:15 pm 07 Sep 13

Ummm, There’s voting going on ?

Region Group Pty Ltd