Tattoo policy in the Public Service?

LumpySpacePrincess 21 August 2012 34

Has anyone had any personal experience with tattoo policies in the APS?

I currently work in a government department but am planning to move on.

My current employer has no concern with visible tattoos but I’m a little concerned that I may have to conceal them in another department.

34 Responses to Tattoo policy in the Public Service?
poetix poetix 1:14 pm 21 Aug 12

HenryBG said :

People with tattoos shouldn’t be able to get security clearances. Which means no PS jobs for criminals.

I do hope you express this opinion to a Maori with ta moko.

And I had the right accent on that and my computer ate it.

aceofspades aceofspades 1:03 pm 21 Aug 12

What about my Prince Albert? Do I have to keep that covered also?

dpm dpm 12:59 pm 21 Aug 12

Flyinghurts said :

HenryBG said :

While we’re at it, should we stop giving security clearances to people with piercings? Maybe people who smoke shouldn’t get clearances due to their addiction to nicotine? Public servants who drink alcohol might have lowered inhibitions while drinking, can’t risk a security breach there so they should probably be booted out of the APS too.

Does the BG at the end of your user name stand for bigot?

Nah, you’re forgetting Henry is OK with drinking (and drink driving). Didn’t you know? He could drink us all under the table and still qualify on pole at Bathurst! Losers…

YeahBuddy YeahBuddy 12:53 pm 21 Aug 12

oh, and answering the question: i worked in DoHA they had no problem with visible tattoo’s (none that I heard of at least) ….

I have chest, arm and legs tattoo’d and wore a short sleeve top to interview and all through summer

YeahBuddy YeahBuddy 12:51 pm 21 Aug 12

isn’t it some form of discrimination …. or did they change that??

aceofspades aceofspades 12:50 pm 21 Aug 12

rosscoact said :

Flyinghurts said :

HenryBG said :

Does the BG at the end of your user name stand for bigot?

Nah BG stands for troll.

Henry, I’m getting a little disappointed, the passion and ingenuity seems to have gone out of your trolling. It seems like you’re just going through the motions now.

Can we help? If you let it all out we could perhaps come up with a strategy to get you firing on all cylinders again.

+1 Henry it is like your not even trying anymore.

VYBerlinaV8_is_back VYBerlinaV8_is_back 12:46 pm 21 Aug 12

Jim Jones said :

Flyinghurts said :

Does the BG at the end of your user name stand for bigot?

Brain Gap.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 12:45 pm 21 Aug 12

rosscoact said :

Flyinghurts said :

HenryBG said :

Does the BG at the end of your user name stand for bigot?

Nah BG stands for troll.

A reformation perhaps?

Jim Jones Jim Jones 12:38 pm 21 Aug 12

Flyinghurts said :

Does the BG at the end of your user name stand for bigot?

rosscoact rosscoact 12:35 pm 21 Aug 12

Flyinghurts said :

HenryBG said :

Does the BG at the end of your user name stand for bigot?

Nah BG stands for troll.

Flyinghurts Flyinghurts 12:28 pm 21 Aug 12

HenryBG said :

Does the BG at the end of your user name stand for bigot?

Jim Jones Jim Jones 12:09 pm 21 Aug 12

HenryBG said :

I’d be willing to guess that you wear your pants so high there are sh1t-stains on your collar.

HenryBG HenryBG 12:00 pm 21 Aug 12

Tootza Tootza 11:34 am 21 Aug 12

I work for a department that is currently consulting on draft guidelines that will require that they be covered up whilst on duty.

arescarti42 arescarti42 11:18 am 21 Aug 12

What the stuff. I’m pretty sure Lumpy Space Princess doesn’t have any tatoos.

LumpySpacePrincess LumpySpacePrincess 11:15 am 21 Aug 12

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

Depends on the job and the people you will work with. If the tattoos make your customers or co-workers uncomfortable, your career will likely suffer.

Well I currently work in a department with a lot of staff turnover and I have found most people don’t seem off-put by them. And once you get to know me, people know I’m not scary or anything 😉

Working in hospitality it never seemed to bother any customers. I’ve had people young and old compliment me on them.

One day they’ll be as acceptable as having your hair dyed, till then I hope I can find another accepting workplace!

LumpySpacePrincess LumpySpacePrincess 11:10 am 21 Aug 12

Flyinghurts said :

It’d probably be fine as long as they aren’t offensive or located on your face. I’ve previously worked with co-workers who had quite extensive tattoos on their arms and it was never a problem. If you can cover them on the off-chance you’ll be interacting with a member of the public, I don’t see why it would be a problem.

The only issue I’ve ever had with the tattoo I have on my arm is that co-workers see it and realise that I’m a geek

I have none on my face and they aren’t offensive at all so hopefully it’ll be ok.
haha, nothing wrong with being a geek 😉

HHR said :

I haven’t experienced any issues in my department. I know of several others there who have tattoos in the same department, some more visible than others, and as far as I know not a word has been said. My department doesn’t deal too much with the public in a face-to-face way, so I’m not sure if that would have an affect on attitudes towards tattoos. I too am moving departments, and given the attitude at my current department, hadn’t even considered it an issue, so thank you for raising the idea. Good luck with the job hunt!

Well hopefully we’ll both be ok! I spent a great deal of time, money and pain getting my tattoos and I like to show them off. Seems a waste to hide them away.
thanks, Good luck with your job hunting too! 🙂