Opinion

Canberra insurance broker
of choice since 1985

Terribad neighbours.

By Dilandach - 14 October 2012 39

Where I live has been relatively quiet. Apart from the odd person relieving me of the burden of a full tank of petrol. We had a neighbour that was troubling. Except for the odd screaming and banging in his house or eyeballing me, it wasn’t too much of an issue.

They moved out, we cheered and hoped that the next lot of people would be somewhat less of a hassle.

Oh how our hopes were dashed.

Ever since they’ve moved in, there are screaming matches at any time of the day or night. We usually dread friday and saturday nights due to the sub-human inhabitants getting tanked up on whatever it is they drink/smoke/snort. Now these screaming matches just aren’t slightly raised voices, they’re full on screaming, car window breaking, throwing items including garbage onto my front lawn, choking and last night while I was out on the varandah… pissing on my drive way. I gave a “what the fuck? seriously!” to no response. No doubt trying to get more of a reaction out of me for a reason to punch on with me.

Nearly every weekend the cops have been called, we’ve called once but obviously others around call as well.

As much as I’d like to reason with these people to grow the fuck up and deal with their issues without being a pain to everyone around them, I know that the knuckle draggers would rather take a swing than agree to knock it off. I’ve got two children under 6 who thankfully so far have slept through the worst of it but no doubt would absolutely be terrified of the screams of some chick and dude loving each other with their fists.

I have the phone number of the owner of the house. I’m not sure if I should pass that on to the realestate agent to take up with the owner or if there’s some other course of action I could take. Quiet, its all we want. What can I do?

What’s Your opinion?

39 Responses to
Terribad neighbours.
nyssa1976 6:44 pm 23 Oct 12

Masquara said :

Nan212 said :

Calling the police is not really an option. They don’t like getting involved in ‘domestics’.

That is nonsense. Police have been given intensive training regarding domestic violence for some years now; there is a domestic violence unit and the police will charge a domestic violence perpetrator regardless of whether the victim wishes to press charges. Times have changed.

Masquara, I’m afraid that’s a load of bollocks.

They may get ‘training’ but I know first hand how crap the police are about DV. I’ve had breaches of DVOs where he admitted it and STILL nothing happened (whilst on probation mind you), being told ‘are you happy now?’ once they arrested him and took him away (only for him to be released the next morning straight back to the house and many more incidences where the police did absolutely nothing.

The cops don’t do squat when it comes to DVOs.

Monomyth 4:17 pm 23 Oct 12

As a tenant in an apartment bock (and that might be the key here) who has made several phonecalls to the real estate agency, I’ve been told on every ocassion that all they can do is call the Body Corp who will issue a letter to the offending tenants. If I require further action I need to contact the police.

I doubt the owners will have more legal rights than the BC but I’m happy to be wrong on that!

steveu 8:33 pm 15 Oct 12

Masquara said :

Nan212 said :

Correct. Also adds weight to the case when they can say they have had x hundred calls etc over y months etc. Police are there to keep the peace, help them do heir job by letting them know, every time.

RedDogInCan 7:26 pm 15 Oct 12

Nan212 said :

You and your family shouldn’t have to put up with that crap! You say you have the owner’s phone number? I think I would be calling them and asking them to give their agent a ring.

Seriously, ring the owner each and every time there is a disturbance, irrespective of the time of day. Make your problem, their problem – after all they let their house to these people.

NoImRight 12:56 pm 15 Oct 12

It surprisingly hard sometimes to move a tenant out for things like this. Even not paying rent for months can drag on so some of the more touchy feely stuff can be even harder to enforce.

PBO 12:37 pm 15 Oct 12

Download the mp3 of LRAD tones (Long Range Acoustic Device), put some tubes over the front of your speakers to direct the sound and give them a blasting while shining a laser pointer in their eyes.

Or………..just give a vague description and location of the place and let the RA Army of Anarchists go to town.

Grrrr 11:55 am 15 Oct 12

To be precise, your neighbours are likely in breach of clause 70 of the Standard Tenancy Agreement, which can be found here: http://www.tenantsact.org.au/rentingAdvice/Standard-Lease-Agreement-in-the-ACT

Grrrr 11:50 am 15 Oct 12

Last time I read the ACT Standard Tenancy Agreement it stated that the neighbours to the tenants have a right to peace and the quiet enjoyment of their own property. It also stated that these rules were effectively law and applied whether or not the tenants had signed a document agreeing to them.

So, it seems to me that your neighbours are likely to be in breach of their lease. I’d be pointing this out to the real estate agent, or the owner if it is a private rental.

Despite the comments here, I believe that the agent/owner has some degree of legal responsibility here (IANAL.) Apart from talking to a lawyer , there are better forums dedicated to rentals and shared living where people can probably provide more useful advice. Seek them out. Maybe read some of http://www.tenantsact.org.au/

Alderney 11:36 am 15 Oct 12

Girt_Hindrance said :

We’ve one of the Rebels living nearby and have had no noted urban crime for over two years.

That’s because the police are always watching the place. The next street however…