Tharwa residents to blame for no bridge

Thumper 29 January 2008 44

In a breathtakingly arrogant statement reminiscent of the bushfires and associated responsibility, Chief Minister Jon Stanhope has blamed Tharwa residents for the debacle about their bridge and accused them of exaggerating how bad the detour is.

The canberra Times article is here.

This government goes beyond parody at times.

However, the bridge looks as if it will be fixed. This is a good and sensible outcome.

44 Responses to Tharwa residents to blame for no bridge
Mælinar Mælinar 1:42 pm 30 Jan 08

it’s a 20 minute slow jog – but never mind me, I’m just ribbing you.

Ingeegoodbee Ingeegoodbee 12:13 pm 30 Jan 08

Mael I tried to ride my bike. Once. At that time pushies and busses “shared” the transit lane on Military Road. When I got to work I was so glad that I had worn brown underpants that day!

howdy howdy 11:40 am 30 Jan 08

Ingeegoodbee – Tis cool. Most people who haven’t been to Gunga (since maybe your parents made you drive what seemed like an eternity out to Cockington green) are know to exclaim ‘holly crap you guys have trees’. There are some barren areas but they are only suburbs just going up and some of these newer houses are actually quite pricey – and have possibly a slightly better ‘city access’ location to some of the older areas…

Mælinar Mælinar 11:32 am 30 Jan 08

You drove 7km ?

Lazy cnut.

Ingeegoodbee Ingeegoodbee 11:12 am 30 Jan 08

Despite my rant I really don’t have anything against the outer north guys, honestly if I ever go out there I’ll check it out. You’re seriously right about Canberra’s traffic times vs Sydney or Melbourne. During a six month sourjorn in Sydney some years ago it used to take me around 45 minutes to cover the 7 km from home to the office in peak hour!

Danman Danman 10:46 am 30 Jan 08

should read off the highway. Im no english spelling bee guru.

Danman Danman 10:45 am 30 Jan 08

If you choose to live in the boondocks of Gungahlin then you get what you deserve – nothing sh!ts me more than scumbags who cant afford to live at a decent address throwing good mone after bad in some rat hole like Gungahlin and then lobbying the government to subsidise their property values by increasing services to somewhere that never deserved them in the first place. Equating Gungarlin with Tharwa is like saying a Holden should be allowed to park on the same street as a BMW … yeah it happens, but it’s still wrong.

I’m with howdy

Whats wrong with Gunghalin?

Its pretty self sufficient if you ask me.
I am happy with my mortgage, my location and my accessability. Where is the issues there ?

And as for it being in the boondocks, a not even completed project allows me to get to Gordon in 30 minutes…. Not bad for what a lot of people consider being out in the sticks.

It also kicks arse for coming home from Sydney or Melbourne, straight up and into your residential areas of the highway, none of this croissing through the city when you’re tired of driving.

howdy howdy 10:39 am 30 Jan 08

(oops, that’s stops per lights, not just one stop the entire way… )

howdy howdy 10:38 am 30 Jan 08

Exaggerating a bit as the traffic flow and distance is a lot better than traveling from other parts of Canberra, until you hit Northbourne… However considering that apart from Northbourne I can do the speed limit and only stop at a set of lights once on my way home, in peak hour, one can’t complain : )

Mælinar Mælinar 10:29 am 30 Jan 08

howdy – are you saying that there are no traffic issues for commuters in Gungahlin or just being precious ?

howdy howdy 10:24 am 30 Jan 08

Mmmmm, yes I love my nice quiet pretty suburban rat hole, with more shops than we could possibly need, a population of mainly young families/couples and a short 15-20 min drive to Belco and Civic and Fyshwick and now even Woden. How I cry when it only takes me three roads to get home after work in light traffic. As I sit in the shade of a tree watching the people out for a pleasant walk with their dogs and the birds and bees play in my garden, I often wonder why I moved to such squaller. Maybe when the young families’ kids grow up and get bored we might see a worrying rise in the crime rate, but for now, open doors and windows let in the fresh breeze. Ah the pain.

Ingeegoodbee Ingeegoodbee 10:20 am 30 Jan 08

Where’s Civic?

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 9:52 am 30 Jan 08

I wonder if Ingeegoodbee has ever been to Gungahlin? Many parts of Gungahlin are closer to Civic than Belconnen, Woden and most definitely Tharwa. Apart from that, keep up the quality work!

Hahahaaaaa…

GregW GregW 12:34 am 30 Jan 08

“As such, the current government is responsible for it.

You dispute that?”

No, no one has ever disputed that. This topic has never been about the current government not being responsible for the bridge. In fact no one has even mentioned responsibility except you. Really, what is your point?

It is the responsibility of the government to take the best approach at the time, yes this includes fixing past governments mistakes, thats why they have offered a brand spanking new $9 million concrete bridge with a long lifetime and low ongoing maintenance costs. Unfortunately however now all ACT residents are up for an extra $5 million in upfront costs, and significantly higher ongoing maintenance costs. For what good reason, and for how many peoples benefit?

Thumper Thumper 11:49 pm 29 Jan 08

I never said it was the current governments fault. However they have done bugger all and they have been in power for a long time now.

As such, the current government is responsible for it.

You dispute that?

Sorry, fact of life that one. Like to argue that point?

Okay, let’s say we have a lib governmewnt after next election. In that case it will be the Libs problem and I would expect them to fix it.

this is not a party thing guys.

Ingeegoodbee Ingeegoodbee 11:43 pm 29 Jan 08

GregW GregW 11:36 pm 29 Jan 08

Thumper did you even read my post? Where have I said it is not a government responsibility, or that residents should not receive a bridge? Of course it is for everyone’s use, the reason Tharwa residents are mentioned is because they are the vocal minority who above and beyond all other users have pushed for this change. My point is not that they shouldn’t receive a bridge, but that they are asking for additional revenue that was not raised by them to be spent on a cause which they are the prime supporters when a simpler, quicker and more financially responsible alternative exists, is silly.

Let me provide another example. You live in the rapidly expanding Gungahlin, yet you need to commute daily to a job in Woden. Now the existing road network will suffice but practically speaking it requires a longer slower trip to get to your destination. In response the government offers to build an arterial road to take commuters southbound, it is simple, effective, and can be built relatively quickly (if desired). Now suppose I say thats not good enough, I want an underground tunnel direct to Hindmarsh drive, should I receive it? The road will cost 50% more, but thats okay because everyone can potentially use it, plus it is more aesthetically pleasing than having to view the artworks along GDE… You would be ridiculed for the suggestion, yet somehow Tharwa residents have managed to gain support because they have had to endure a few months of longer trips to work..

I can keep repeating the same point as long as people have trouble following..

Ingeegoodbee Ingeegoodbee 11:35 pm 29 Jan 08

Really Pansy, sorry Pandy. When the ACT Govt signed up to the gig and took responsibility for the bridge they didn’t have to give a rats ar$e about it because of some crap back in ’77? Like Not! All consecutibe Liberal and Labor governments have done is simply hope that the fu@ker dosn’t crap itself on their watch – Standope drew the short straw and now we have to wear the cost of us nor being prepared (through our governments) to look after the asset.

Pandy Pandy 11:35 pm 29 Jan 08

Stuff it I am going to bed.

Pandy Pandy 11:28 pm 29 Jan 08

Thumper has his head in the sand.

Tthe problems to the drige occurred in 1977 if not before hand. It is not the current Governments fault. They just did not want to spend tens of millions fixing a dry rot/white anted piece of shite.

Back in you hole.