Cutting and styling men’s hair might seem simple. But the reality is that a skilled barber has thousands of hours of training and experience under their belt.
They’re familiar with the latest trends and classic cuts. They’ve memorised exactly how to cut and style the hair of their regular clientele. And they ask the right questions to ensure every client leaves looking and feeling great (remember that descriptions like “short back and sides” can mean very different things to different people).
Whether you’re fed up of having bad hair days, or are new to Canberra and in need of a barber, we’re here to help.
In this article, we’ll share our top picks for barbers in the Canberra region. Let’s get started.
What makes a great a barber?
Not all barbers or barbershops are created equal. To find a barber that you’ll want to visit again and again, keep the following in mind.
- Experience and confidence. A good barber has the experience to cut and style your hair how you want it. A great barber has the confidence to tell you if your requested style might not work for your face and features, and will attempt to guide you towards something more flattering. If your barber looks and acts confident when you meet them for the first time, take it as a positive sign.
- Convenience. While in-demand barbers can be busy, it shouldn’t be impossible to get an appointment. Some barbers even let you book online for maximum convenience.
- Personal style and grooming. The best barbers care about their personal appearance – after all, they’re a walking advertisement for their own business. Look for a barber who is well-groomed and well-presented. Attention to detail in personal appearance often translates to attention to detail in cutting and styling hair.
- Clean and tidy. A clean and tidy barbershop isn’t just good for hygiene. It’s also a sign that the business cares about presentation. If the floors are covered in hair, and the shop is a mess, it’s reasonable to wonder if that lack of care will also apply to your haircut.
- Reasonably priced. Some barbershops charge an arm and a leg for the full haircutting and styling experience. Make sure you find a barber that is within your budget.
The best barbers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
If you’re a discerning gentleman looking for the royal barbershop treatment, it’s hard to go past Truefitt & Hill in the CBD. As the world’s oldest barbershop (it was established in London in 1805 and now has stores all over the world), its clientele has included Great Britain’s monarchs, as well as other royalty, politicians and dignitaries.
At Truefitt & Hill, you can enjoy a haircut and shave by an experienced barber, plus a range of skincare treatments, in a luxurious, comfortable and private atmosphere. Leather chairs and wooden cabinetry lend a warm sophistication to each cut and shave.
Truefitt & Hill Canberra stocks a retail range of carefully crafted hair and skincare products, colognes, shaving and leather accessories. With over 200 years of research and customer feedback contributing to ongoing product development, Truefitt & Hill knows sophistication and practicality better than anyone.
Truefitt & Hill welcomes phone and walk-in appointments.
As David Sheard writes on Google, “Without doubt the best place for a men’s haircut. Nothing is rushed and the service is outstanding. The excellent scotch I get presented with each haircut is just the added bonus. If you want to ensure you get a great haircut and a great experience in the process then you can’t go past Truefitt & Hill Canberra.”
The Gentleman’s Barber Gungahlin has been working to redefine what the customer service experience of a barbershop is since 2019, and with their unique atmosphere and strong community presence, they are well on their way to doing so.
The most popular offering at The Gentleman’s Barber is the fade. The barbers are skilled in all types of fades, buzz cuts, beard trims and hair art.
Yusuf Farhadi writes in their Google review, “Popped in for a haircut, first thing you notice is how kind they are upon entry. Peter who cut my hair was a terrific barber, well experienced and knew what he was doing and listened very well. So happy with my haircut, will be back again.”
Established in 1989, Martino’s Hair and Grooming for Men is a modern-day barbershop that does classic to modern styles, all in a relaxed and stylish atmosphere. They use only the highest quality products on their clients and offer a range of services other than the standard haircut and beard treatments, including scalp analysis and dermabrasion, face treatments, and colour and highlights.
As Nigel Webster writes in their Facebook review, “Professional, friendly and competent hairdressing business that has an excellent customer service ethos.”
If you’re after an affordable and quick appointment, The Barbershop is the place for you. Their services are straightforward, including buzz cuts, men’s styling, beard trims and hot towel shaves, all for less than $100. The Barbershop has two convenient locations in the city centre and are open seven days a week.
Facebook user Danny Supple had this to say about their experience at The Barbershop, “Awesome staff. Relaxed environment, always fast and perfect cut.”
From bald fades and modern crops to classic trims and beard shaping, this local, family-owned business prides themselves on delivering professional and quality services. With over 18 years of experience behind director Ben, and a team of passionate professionals at his side, H&M Barbers guarantees you an experience that will leave you looking good and feeling even better.
Happy customer Robert Powell left the following review on Google, “A welcome addition to Kingston. Professional, extremely well priced and does an excellent job. Ben offers a range of services and is extremely friendly. I recommend him to all the locals.”
If you’re looking for more information or hair styling, why not check out our article on the best hair salons in Canberra.
Your experience with barbers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.