Cutting and styling men’s hair might seem simple. But the reality is that a skilled barber has thousands of hours of training and experience under their belt.
They’re familiar with the latest trends and classic cuts. They’ve memorised exactly how to cut and style the hair of their regular clientele. And they ask the right questions to ensure every client leaves looking and feeling great (remember that descriptions like “short back and sides” can mean very different things to different people).
Whether you’re fed up of having bad hair days, or a recent Canberra transplant in need of a new go-to barber, we’re here to help.
In this article, we’ll share our top picks for barbers in the Canberra region. Let’s get started.
What to look for when choosing a barber
Not all barbers, or barbershops, are created equal. To find a barber that you’ll want to visit again and again, keep the following in mind.
- Experience and confidence. A good barber has the experience to cut and style your hair how you want it. A great barber has the confidence to tell you if your requested style might not work for your face and features, and will attempt to guide you towards something more flattering. If your barber looks and acts confident when you meet them for the first time, take it as a positive sign.
- Convenience. While in-demand barbers can be busy, it shouldn’t be impossible to get an appointment. Some barbers even let you book online for maximum convenience.
- Personal style and grooming. The best barbers care about their personal appearance – after all, they’re a walking advertisement for their own business. Look for a barber who is well-groomed and well-presented. Attention to detail in personal appearance often translates to attention to detail in cutting and styling hair.
- Clean and tidy. A clean and tidy barbershop isn’t just good for hygiene. It’s also a sign that the business cares about presentation. If the floors are covered in hair, and the shop is a mess, it’s reasonable to wonder if that lack of care will also apply to your haircut.
- Reasonably priced. Some barbershops charge an arm and a leg for the full haircutting and styling experience. When it comes to barbers, you won’t necessarily get what you pay for.
Canberra’s best barbers – according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
If you’re a discerning gentleman looking for the royal barbershop treatment, it’s hard to go past Truefitt & Hill in the CBD.
As the world’s oldest barbershop (it was established in London in 1805 and now has stores all over the world), its clientele has included Great Britain’s monarchs, as well as other royalty, politicians and dignitaries.
At Truefitt & Hill, you can enjoy a haircut and shave by an experienced barber, plus a range of skincare treatments, in a luxurious, comfortable and private atmosphere. Leather chairs and wooden cabinetry lend a warm sophistication to each cut and shave.
Truefitt & Hill welcomes phone and walk-in appointments. You can also book online.
Truefitt & Hill Canberra stocks a retail range of carefully crafted hair and skincare products, colognes, shaving and leather accessories. With over 200 years of research and customer feedback contributing to ongoing product development, Truefitt & Hill knows sophistication and practicality better than anyone.
Tommy Gun’s in the Canberra Centre is part barbershop, part man cave. It offers the usual barbershop services like cuts and shaves, as well as eyebrow waxing and express facial treatments.
It features touch-screen check-in to minimise wait times, in-mirror TVs, a free beverage of your choice and a hot towel finish.
Google reviewer Hayden raved about his experience at Tommy Gun’s: “Top notch quality haircuts, not many other places in Canberra come close. Amazing standard of service too, some amazing funny and friendly people work there, all devoutly serious about the quality of their work though. Would highly recommend!”
Men’s Biz in the Monaro Mall does cuts, washes, skin fades, kids haircuts, grey coverage, hot towel shaves, brow threading and head massages. It also sells a huge range of men’s skincare products ranging from fragrance and grooming to shaving and skincare.
Facebook reviewer Jeff said: “These guys have the real gear and staff that know how to use it and are more than happy to share.”
At MIKOS Barbers in Belconnen, barbering is a form of art. Its talented and committed team provides services from hot towel shaves to detailed hair art.
MIKOS Barbers is open Tuesday to Saturday, with online booking available.
Here’s what customer Adrian G said about his experience on Google Reviews: “Mike has got a great team who are good at their jobs and are friendly. Book in early to get a spot.”
The Barbershop Canberra has two locations: Marcus Clarke Street in Civic and Lonsdale Street in Braddon. It does cuts (including fade outs), buzz cuts, beard trims and hot towel shaves.
Online bookings are available, with walk-ins welcome on weekends at the Braddon shop.
Here’s what customer Pierre had to say about his experience on Facebook: “The interior is a great trip down memory lane, paying homage to classic albums and artists from the golden era of hip hop, while the barbers wield their trade tools with expertise. Highly recommend. Grab a drink while you’re there.”
Who is your go-to Canberra barber?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.