If you’re a business owner, chances are you’re already flat out with day-to-day activities like managing staff, attracting new customers and finessing your product or service offerings.
Sitting down to do your own bookkeeping is probably the last thing you feel like doing at the end of a busy day. And while it’s tempting to ask a staff member to manage the books, they may not be as efficient or accurate as a trained bookkeeper.
It’s no surprise, then, that bookkeeping is one of the most common activities business owners outsource. A good bookkeeper can save you time and money, while freeing staff to focus on doing what they do best: growing your business.
In this article, we’ll share our top picks for Canberra bookkeepers.
Ready? Let’s get started.
What Makes a Great Bookkeeper?
The best bookkeepers help you understand your business’ financial situation so you can make informed decisions, minimise cash flow issues and grow sustainably. They also tend to have a few traits in common, including:
- Organisational skills. Bookkeepers need to be highly organised to meet deadlines and manage routine and repetitive tasks like expense tracking and invoicing. Your bookkeeper should know where all financial records are held and retrieve information for you quickly.
- Experience. Your bookkeeper should have experience working with similar businesses – both in terms of size and industry. They should also be familiar with your chosen accounting software (i.e. Xero, MYOB, QuickBooks), and the ins and outs of things like PAYG, payroll tax and GST.
- Reliability. Bookkeeping can be time-sensitive, especially when it comes to the end of the financial year. Look for a bookkeeper you can rely on to deliver what you need when you need it.
- Interested in your business. Your bookkeeper should take the time to learn about your business and how it works. This can be a big help when it comes to invoicing (if your bookkeeper handles invoicing), as well as for identifying potential financial issues.
- Tax expertise. Ideally, your bookkeeper should be quite the expert when it comes to taxes. That way, you can rest easy knowing you are prepared to claim your deductions and expenses.
- Accuracy. When it comes to your business finances, accuracy is a must. Investing in inaccurate record keeping could cause even more problems further down the track.
What else would you add to this list? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Canberra’s Best Bookkeepers
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Putting your bookkeeping on autopilot might sound too good to be true, but that’s exactly what PAQ Group aims to do. It’s a progressive bookkeeping and payroll services solution that takes the stress out of bookkeeping. Armed with the latest technology, its team offers fixed-fee ongoing bookkeeping and payroll packages that suit your individual business needs.
What makes PAQ Group unique is its focus and belief in regular communication, reporting and becoming one of your trusted advisors. And the results speak for themselves: according to Google Reviews, PAQ Group is Australia’s number one rated bookkeeping business.
PAQ Group’s bookkeepers are certified BAS agents and certified Xero advisors, so you can be confident that your finances are in safe and experienced hands.
After proudly servicing the Canberra region for 30 years and attaining almost 100 years worth of experience between them, the team at RSM certainly know the ins and outs of bookkeeping. They offer a full suite of specialist advisory services based on strong local knowledge but informed by international best practices, allowing them to keep up-to-date with contemporary methods. Based in Deakin, RSM helps individuals, businesses and government agencies to overcome challenges, see opportunity and to be the best they can be.
Deakin ACT 2600
Figures Matter tailors its bookkeeping services to suit your needs, compliance requirements and budget. Whether you need help with payroll, invoicing, superannuation or migrating from MYOB to Xero, Figures Matter’s Xero bookkeepers and registered BAS agents have the skills and experience to help.
With over a decade of experience, Jillian, the head bookkeeper at Canberra Bookkeepers, is one of the best in the business. Jillian is a certified Xero Partner and has experience with almost all reputable account software for Mac and PC. With a dedication to her clients, Jillian is passionate about giving you more time to grow your business and maximise your income.
For accurate, meaningful, and organised bookkeeping services, you cannot go wrong with the experienced team at Everest Business Consultants. These experts offer a comprehensive range of affordable bookkeeping services, from day-to-day activities to training staff and more. If sound record-keeping is what you are looking for, get in touch with the bookkeepers at Everest – they have experience with MYOB, Quick Books, XERO, Saasu, and Bank Link software, among others.
Your Experience with Bookkeepers in the Canberra Region
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you worked with a great bookkeeper in the Canberra region? Have they helped you gain more time to work on growing your business? We want to know about it. Share your experiences and feedback in the comments section below.