Even in the digital age, there’s nothing quite like reading a physical book. The weight, the cover, even the smell of the pages inspires us to read more. Whether you’re shopping for yourself or for a loved one, any avid reader will tell you that one of the great joys of books is visiting a bookshop in the first place.
Bookshops can be true havens – they are quiet and cozy places, and it’s all too easy to lose an hour or so browsing the shelves. While there are less and less book stores than ever before, Canberra is home to a handful of real gems. These shops are worth a visit, even if you don’t plan on buying anything.
In this article, we’ll share our picks for the top bookshops in the Canberra region. If you don’t agree with our list, add your thoughts to the comments section below.
What makes a great bookshop?
Bookshops should be an absolute pleasure to visit, and the best bookshops have us coming back again and again. So, what separates the average bookshops from the very best? Here are the traits we believe are key:
- An excellent range of books: Most people visit a bookshop for one thing, and one thing only – books. The best bookshops in Canberra have a fantastic range of bestsellers, independent publishers, children’s’ books, cookbooks, non-fiction, and more.
- Friendly staff. The best bookshops have friendly, knowledgeable staff that are able to help with all of your book inquiries, from being able to guide you through the shelves or place a specific order for you.
- A great atmosphere. If you love to spend hours trawling through bookshops, flicking through anything that catches your eye, you’ll want to visit stores with a great atmosphere. Lighting, temperature, and music are all important factors.
- Well priced. Physical bookstores have to compete with the conveniently low price-points of online bookstores, so expect to pay a little bit more – but a great bookshop will be priced competitively without becoming overly expensive.
- Conveniently located. While the above features are all important, you’ll most likely visit the bookshop located in the most convenient spot. Whether that be near your home, or close to work in the city centre, the easier it is to access, the better.
The best bookshops in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Located in Belconnen markets, this unique bookshop has handpicked titles for children as well as adults including fiction and nonfiction and everything in between. Owner Leisha is all about customer service and if she doesn’t have what you want, she’ll happily order it in for you!
Happy customer and ‘Local Guide’ Marianela Aguilera left this Google review for Book Passion, “Fantastic independent bookshop. It has an amazing collection and the owner gets to know your literature taste. I always found amazing books and have great conversations with other keen readers.”
Owners Mel and Richard have over 20 years experience in the arts and carefully curate all the items sold in both their National Portrait Gallery and National Arboretum stores. The range of gifts are sourced from Australian designers and the books are very rarely those seen in typical bookstores.
Facebook user Daniel Fox writes, “Beautiful spaces, quality items, exceptional service! Highly recommend.“
Located in Lyneham Mike Johnson’s bookshop and antiquarian is open 7 days. His selection of second hand books is extensive and he will endeavour to source a book if he doesn’t have it in stock. All the books and antiques are reasonably priced and share their own life story.
As Google reviewer Alisa Peacock writes, “Gorgeous old school secondhand bookshop. Well organised sections.”
Mal and Kam’s comic book shop is a big kids dream! Located in the city centre you don’t have to be a geek to appreciate their great collection of comics. With new shipments every week and a monthly Comic Book Club there are so many comic books to love in this place!
See what Facebook user Ned McCarron had to say about their experience at Impact in this review, “Wonderful store, helpful and friendly staff. Highly recommend a visit if you are after the latest comic or other geeky items.“
Since 1993 Canty’s has been selling books and spreading their love of novels and nonfiction tales across Canberra. Canty and Luke provide their knowledge effortlessly and are happy to chat about other non-book related subjects also. A local well-stocked bookshop with variety and some rare finds.
Happy customer Ashleigh Warton left this Facebook review for Canty’s, “Staff are fantastic! So friendly and helpful. The selection of books is excellent and the prices are phenomenal. I always head to Canty’s when I’m in the ACT.“
Books can make an excellent gift for your loved one, but if you’re on the hunt for some more ideas of where to find great gifts in Canberra, check out our articles on the best gift experiences, the best jewellers and the best gift baskets & hampers in town for some inspiration!
Your experience with bookshops in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the bookshops listed above? Have we missed your favourite? If so, please share your feedback in the comments below!