Skin conditions like acne, psoriasis or eczema can be uncomfortable and difficult to treat on your own. The good news is that a skilled dermatologist can often help you find a treatment that works.
A dermatologist is a doctor who has undertaken a further four years of training to specialise in the treatment of skin diseases and cancers. They see patients of all ages for a wide variety of conditions, and may also offer cosmetic services using fillers, botox and laser surgery.
To see a dermatologist in Canberra, you’ll need a referral from your GP.
What makes a good dermatologist?
If you’ve never been to a dermatologist, you might not know what to consider when choosing your specialist. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Availability. Skin conditions can require ongoing treatment so it’s vital that your dermatologist is available when you need them. Dermatologists are usually very busy, so if you need ongoing treatment, check that they can manage a new patient. Keep in mind that dermatologists also work in hospital settings and you may be able to see them there.
- Expertise with your skin type and colour. Darker skin tones can react differently to certain procedures such as scar treatments. Check that your dermatologist has experience treating patients with your skin type and colour for optimal results.
- Focused on patient eduction. Managing skin conditions is a team effort between you and your dermatologist. Home management is an important part of a treatment plan. Your dermatologist should be able to provide you with knowledge of your condition as well as useful at-home instructions. With these tools you will feel more confident with your treatment plan.
- Up to date treatments. Dermatologists are constantly updating their knowledge and skills. Options may include surgical and laser treatments. New breakthroughs in treatments become available often so make sure you’re getting the best possible solution for your condition.
- A caring approach. Skin conditions can be chronic, some even lifelong. If this is the case for you it is important that your dermatologist has a caring and sympathetic approach that helps to ease any stress or anxiety you may be experiencing.
The top dermatologists in Canberra – according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Dr Mark Healsmith diagnoses and treats rashes including acne, psoriasis and eczema, as well as skin cancers. His practice is centrally located on University Avenue in the city.
Patient Tony had this to say about Dr Healsmith on Google Reviews: "I have used Dr Healsmith for many years - he is very professional and friendly. When I had concerns, he made an immediate appointment to see me even thought he is normally booked months in advance."
If you think you may need more specialised help, our article on the best skin cancer clinics in Canberra may help you.
Your experience with dermatologists in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the dermatologists listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.