Whether you’re taking a weekend escape or travelling half-way across the globe, there is one member of your family you probably can’t bring – your dog.
We adore our dogs, and leaving them in the care of a complete stranger can be incredibly daunting. We’ve all heard horror stories about careless dog kennels that keep precious pooches locked up all day.
To help you avoid these nasty kennels, we’ve come up with a list of the top dog boarding services in the Canberra region.
Ready? Let’s get right to it.
What Makes a Reliable Dog Kennel?
What sets the best dog kennels in Canberra apart? Here are a few traits we believe the most reliable pet boarding services have.
- A true passion for pets. At the end of the day, you’re either a pet person or you’re not. Look for a dog kennel run by true animal-lovers. With a passion for our furry friends, the staff at the best dog kennels will care for your puppy as if it were their own.
- Excellent facilities. If we could send our pooch to an upmarket, 5-star doggy resort, we would. But that isn’t always possible. Instead, look for a dog kennel with excellent facilities. That means comfortable kennels with beds, toys, and a supply of fresh water.
- Outdoor space. Most dogs require daily exercise. The best boarding kennels have ample outdoor space where pets can run, play, and wander freely.
- Expert staff. Like humans, dogs have their own individual needs and preferences. These can depend on breed, medical conditions, and personality. The best kennels have experienced staff with expertise in caring for a range of pets.
- A stellar reputation. Great service leads to a stellar name. And mistakes, carelessness, and oversight lead to negative reviews and a poor reputation.
- A fair price. If you’re heading off on holiday, chances are you’re working with a strict budget. The best Canberra dog kennels offer great service at a fair price.
The Top Three Dog Kennels in Canberra
We’ve read through your feedback and conducted some research. Here are our top picks for dog boarding kennels in the Canberra region.
1. Dog’otel Kennels & Purrrfect Cattery Canberra
For more than four decades, Fran has taken her passion for all things animals and has cared for beloved pets when their owners are away. The Dog’otel & Purrrfect Cattery is so much more than a business – it’s Fran’s home, and a home to all dogs and cats.
Commenter lenabieto highly recommends The Dog’otel & Purrrfect Cattery. “I have a Pitt Bull who is very energetic and a bit needy. Kel and Fran understand his needs, don’t have a preconceived idea about him and are very comfortable with him,” they wrote. “This leads to a stress free stay for everyone. They are also reasonably priced and the dogs get to run around daily as part of the cost.”
2. Canberra Pet Care
The friendly and passionate team at Canberra Pet Care believe that pets deserve the same care and attention as people. Your dog’s time at a pet boarding facility should be akin to your time on holiday – that means plenty of fun, great food, and a good night’s sleep.
One of our commenters, BlueCollarGal, had a great experience at Canberra Pet Care. “Great free-roaming for dogs, dams to swim in, bathing for after swimming in dams. Costs extra for some things, but they are treated like they are the kennel owner’s own pets. Have been using them now for 14 years, if that is any kind of endorsement for you.”
3. Hanrob Pet Hotels Canberra
Hanrob Pet Hotels is a group of top-quality dog and cat boarding facilities across Australia. Their passionate and experienced staff treat your pet as if it were their own, and are committed to your animal’s happiness, health, and wellbeing.
With a great outdoor play space and plenty of affection, your pooch will be in good hands at the Hanrob Pet Hotel in Canberra.
Your Experience with Dog Kennels in Canberra
Share your experience with dog boarding kennels in the Canberra region in the comments section below.