Whether you’re taking a weekend escape or travelling half-way across the globe, there is one member of your family you probably can’t bring – your dog.
We adore our dogs, and leaving them in the care of a complete stranger can be incredibly daunting. We’ve all heard horror stories about careless dog kennels that keep precious pooches locked up all day.
To help you avoid these nasty kennels, we’ve come up with a list of the top dog boarding services in the Canberra region.
Ready? Let’s get right to it.
What Makes a Reliable Dog Kennel?
What sets the best dog kennels in Canberra apart? Here are a few traits we believe the most reliable pet boarding services have.
- A true passion for pets. At the end of the day, you’re either a pet person or you’re not. Look for a dog kennel run by true animal-lovers. With a passion for our furry friends, the staff at the best dog kennels will care for your puppy as if it were their own.
- Excellent facilities. If we could send our pooch to an upmarket, 5-star doggy resort, we would. But that isn’t always possible. Instead, look for a dog kennel with excellent facilities. That means comfortable kennels with beds, toys, and a supply of fresh water.
- Outdoor space. Most dogs require daily exercise. The best boarding kennels have ample outdoor space where pets can run, play, and wander freely.
- Expert staff. Like humans, dogs have their own individual needs and preferences. These can depend on breed, medical conditions, and personality. The best kennels have experienced staff with expertise in caring for a range of pets.
- A stellar reputation. Great service leads to a stellar name. And mistakes, carelessness, and oversight lead to negative reviews and a poor reputation.
- A fair price. If you’re heading off on holiday, chances are you’re working with a strict budget. The best Canberra dog kennels offer great service at a fair price.
The Top 5 Canberra Dog Boarding Kennels According to You
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
We’ve read through your feedback and conducted some research. Here are our top picks for dog boarding kennels in the Canberra region.
Mum Fran and son Kel have built this family owned business over the last 30 years. They have a strict pet vaccination policy and book out fast during holiday periods. Fran and Kel provide an online booking form on their website and most importantly give your much loved pet the best quality care! Google reviewer Simon says: ‘Always reliable good service animals always come back well feed and happy.’
Just 20 minutes outside Calwell, Snuggles is dedicated to keeping your animals happy and safe. Noel is very diligent in educating all his dog owners about the conditions in which their pet will be housed and seeks to ensure every pet is well exercised, socialised and fed while staying at Snuggles. Google reviewer Ultra Vanilla says: ‘I have used Snuggles several times and would not hesitate to recommend them if you are in the Canberra region.’
With a spacious pet boarding facilities, grooming and exercise John and the team not only look after dogs and cats but also provide pet boarding for rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, rats and birds. They can tailor a package to suits your pets needs by including extra play time, and baths for dogs, jungle gym, plays and brushing for cats. True Local reviewer Tahlia711 says: ‘I would definitely recommend this for those who love their pets.’
Mareille and Colin run the Canberra Hanrob Pet Hotel and treat every pet as an individual with very different needs. With various packages for pet boarders, training programs and even a pet shuttle, Hanrob provides top quality pet care to Canberran’s. Google reviewer Sabina says: ‘The only place will I ever leave my pup. Marielle, Colin and the team provide nothing but the best of care and attention to both the needs of you and your dog.’
Anyone who meets Kim will know that her love and care for dogs comes from her years of experience and generous knowledge of animals. Modern clean facilities and a reputation that is built on word of mouth makes Kim a trusted local choice when it comes to pet boarding. Google reviewer Trish says: ‘Facilities are calm and quiet. Cherryburn stands out as a unique boarding facility in the ACT region.’
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commentators who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra dog boarding kennels.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based dog boarding kennels? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?