Need a few odds and ends repaired, moved, or installed? A good quality handyman can get the job done.
Broad service handymen are incredibly useful and can help you overcome issues around the home: think re-grouting tiles, installing a new sink, filling a hole in a plaster wall, and other small jobs.
Finding a great handyman can be a challenge. To help guide your search, we’ve consulted our readers’ feedback and have come up with a reliable list of helpful handymen in Canberra.
Ready to find out more?
What Makes a Great Handyman?
Your home – or investment property – is one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make. The last thing you want is some unqualified person poking around, performing subpar installations, and providing shortcut solutions.
When looking for the best handymen in the Canberra area, keep an eye out for the following traits.
- Experience. The best handymen boast years of on-the-job experience. They’ve seen it all before and know exactly how to tackle tricky issues.
- Respectful. Chances are, you’ll be inviting your chosen handyman into your home. It is essential they treat you, your property, and your belongings with the upmost respect.
- Knowledgeable. You want a handyman that can spot bigger issues and perform thorough fixes that can minimise future damage. Household problems left over time can become dangerous, and are usually expensive to fix.
- On time and prompt. The best handymen turn up on time, every time. Then, they get the work done on schedule. That means no waiting around so you can get back to your busy schedule.
- Well priced. There’s no denying it – we all want a bargain. When looking for a handyman to help with your household jobs, look for someone that has priced their services fairly.
- Qualifications. While not all handymen have qualifications, the best in the business have legitimate experience working under a number of disciplines – from plumbing and building, to gardening and beyond.
The Top 5 Canberra Handymen According to You
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Ash has a simple mantra to keep him honest and busy and that is doing the small jobs that nobody wants to do! Caring about his community is also top of mind with his enthusiasm in helping out others by working hard but also being generous to those less fortunate.
Facebook reviewer Richard says: ‘I’d rate Ash 6-stars if I could. Highly recommended!’
Tait is a licenced electrical repairer and recently changed his business name to reflect his focus on appliance repairs. He does however, still have his ginger beard! His natural customer service means he reserves one time slot a day for emergency repairs.
Google reviewer Jo says: ‘Easy to use online booking system and provides reminders of appointments and text alerts about arrival time.’
From extensions and renovations, to general property reprises and maintenance the Fix it Guys offer a huge range of services. Each member of Pete’s team specialises in an area and he’ll always try and send you the right fit for your job. But, if he’s unable to accommodate your request, Pete will find someone who can! Home improvement pages reviewer Greg says: ‘They were really professional, turned up when they said they would and really good in paying attention to detail.’
Walter or better know to his customers as Wally has been provides a painting, decorating, repairs and maintenance service for 15 years. He’s popularity among his customers is due to his repeated visits for additional projects.
A website testimonial from Andrew and Melissa says: ‘We are so pleased with the final result and have enjoyed working with you and your team on this project. We will be in touch for further work in the future.’
Andy not only offers handyman and repairs services but property maintenance and carpentry. With years of experience as both on residential and commercial sites Andy makes sure he gives his customer the best quality work and sticks to a time frame and budget.
Google reviewer, Jarrod says; ‘This is the second time we have used Handy Andy’s services. We had him install a sound bar and floating shelves. As always, he arrived on time and did a great job. Best handyman around!’
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra handymen.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based handymen? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?