Osteopathy is a popular form of alternative medical treatment that involves a number of restorative approaches: manual therapy, massage, exercise, lifestyle advice, and more. Many visit an osteopath to help relieve pain and discomfort.
Here in Australia, osteopaths are government registered, and must hold university training in several medical and healthcare fields.
If you’re looking to improve your well-being by increasing mobility, minimising tension, and eliminating pain, an osteopath could help. In the article, we’ll share our top picks for osteopaths in the Canberra region.
What Makes an Effective Osteopath?
When looking for an osteopath, keep an eye out for the following must-have traits.
- Necessary registration. Never visit an unregistered osteopath. Government registration ensures your osteopath can provide effective, safe treatment.
- Qualifications. As we mentioned above, osteopaths are required to have some tertiary qualifications in the areas of anatomy, pathology, physiology, and general healthcare.
- A holistic approach. We all know that there is no one-size-fits-all medical treatment. The best osteopaths approach your ailments with a holistic attitude.
- Professional service. As with all medical services, you should feel completely comfortable and confident in your practitioner. They should behave in a friendly yet professional manner.
- A comfortable environment. Some aspects of an osteopathic treatment require you to relax. If you’re in an unclean, strange, or overly clinical environment, you may not be able to get the most out of your appointment.
Agree with our list? Share your thoughts below.
The Top Canberra Osteopaths According to You
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Dr. BJ Field heads up Canberra City Osteopathy and has an impressive list of experience. Including sitting on a number of boards and being a trainer for various education centres. Since 2004, Dr. BJ Field has serviced Canberran’s with excellent service and quality ongoing care. You can find them at 2 locations in Canberra City and Casey.
Steve is well regarded by his clients and colleagues with over 25 years experience in Osteopathy. While practicing a traditional method of Osteo, Steve certainly brings a big crowd to his Deakin practice. Steve also likes to keep fit himself with regular yoga sessions and works around very accommodating opening hours.
Located at the Hackett shops Dr Anna Walton, Dr Betsy Foskett, and Dr Lauren Bowman are all highly trained and professional Osteopaths ready to help you and your family. Between all three ladies, they have a wide range of experience across various conditions. Easing pain and discomfort and working to rehabilitate each individual client is always their joint goal.
Their team of 8 Osteo’s, based in Phillip, are dedicated to relieving pain and gaining optimal health through Osteopathy. With services available for babies, kids, pregnant women and adults, Canberra Osteopathic Centre seeks to find the best state of balance for your body. Open Monday to Saturday; their easy to use online booking system will find a time to suit your schedule.
In 2013 Dr Samita Patel decided to open her own osteopathy practice so she could provide a full spectrum of services. She has since trained in visceral manipulation techniques and continues to treat her ongoing and new patients. Her friendly and caring attitude is testament to her growing business and expertise in Osteopathy.
Have You Tried Osteopathy in Canberra?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had any experience with osteopaths in the Canberra region? Share your story in the comments section below.