Whether purchasing pet care supplies or looking for a new furry friend to add to your family, your one-stop-shop for all things animals is the local pet shop.
Different species and breeds have different needs, and the very best pet shops cater to a wide variety of pets. Poor pet stores have a small range of products and services, and staff tend to be unenthused and inexperienced.
To help you avoid the bad, we’ve come up with this list of the top three pet shops in the Canberra region. We’ve done our research and consulted local knowledge, so you can rest easy knowing your precious animal is in safe hands.
What Makes a Great Pet Shop?
Our pets are a part of our family, and they deserve nothing but the very best. When looking for a great pet shop, keep an eye out for the following positive traits.
- A large range of products. From food and toys to treats and accessories, the best pet shops in Canberra have a huge range of quality products.
- Additional services. As well as their products, the greatest pet shops offer a variety of additional services. This may include dog grooming, nail clipping, and rescue adoption services.
- A responsible acquisition of animals. It’s no secret that many pet shops acquire their animals from irresponsible breeders. A good pet shop should have no issue sharing details about their chosen breeders.
- A true passion for animals. Animal lovers make the best pet shop staff. A true passion for creatures great and small results in compassion, respect, and a friendly attitude.
- Experienced staff. As well as being passionate, the best pet shops have staff with years of experience. They can answer all of your tricky questions, and help you give your animal the best possible life.
- Competitive pricing. Like any shop, your go-to pet shop should be priced competitively. At the end of the day, no one likes to be ripped off.
The Top 3 Pet Shops in the Canberra Region
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
It’s always a good idea to support local, independent shops – that’s why we recommend paying a visit to Belco Pets for all of your animal needs.
This family-owned business has been in operation for more than two decades and has a ton of first-hand experience caring for the community’s furry friends. As well as being committed to the ethical attainment of animals, Belco Pets supports a number local animal rescue organisations and wildlife conservation teams.
Belco Pets offers a huge range of premium foods, accessories, high-energy simulation toys, and more. Plus, they can connect you with rescue groups so that you can find the perfect pet for your family.
Petbarn is one of the biggest chain pet shops in the country. Their store in Belconnen offers a near unbeatable variety of toys, food, enclosures, and more for all pets – from the biggest, most energetic dogs, to the smallest mice, fish, and birds.
In addition to their stock of pet accessories, Petbarn offers both done-for-you and a DIY grooming service. Their experienced staff can help your pet feel cool and comfortable.
And if their extensive range and upbeat staff weren’t enough of a drawcard, Petbarn offers an enticing loyalty program to reward frequent shoppers with fantastic savings. This applies to purchases made at any Petbarn store, too. Pretty good, huh?
The Pet Care Supercentre at Best Friends Fyshwick truly offers all of your pet needs in one convenient location. Best Friends boasts a fantastic range of products, a 7-day grooming salon, a puppy pre-school, and a full-service veterinary clinic.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commentators who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra Pet Shops.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based Pet Shops? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?