Sports injuries and other physical discomforts can be a real pain to get over. The process can be especially taxing if your injury prevents you from undergoing regular, day-to-day activities.
One of the best ways to recover from such an injury is to visit a physiotherapist. A physiotherapist is a medical professional qualified to treat diseases, deformities, and injuries through physical methodologies, such as exercises, massage, and heat treatment. From sore backs to misbehaving knees, a top-quality physio can help.
To assist with your search for a physiotherapist in the Canberra region, we’ve put together this list. After reading through our readers’ feedback and comments, the following clinics are our top picks.
Let’s get straight to it.
What Makes a Reliable Physiotherapist
When it comes to your health, you want the very best. You should always feel like your wellbeing is in safe hands.
To guide you in the right direction, we’d like to share a short list of characteristics and traits we believe all of the best physiotherapists in Canberra have.
- Relevant qualifications. Here in Australia, it takes years of university study and professional training to become a qualified physiotherapist. Then, the graduate must become registered with the Physiotherapy Board of Australia. Finally, all physios must complete 20 hours of refresher training each year.
- Passionate and genuine. The best physiotherapists truly have your best interest at heart and are passionate about helping their clients overcome life’s hurdles. They take the time necessary to treat every patient with care, and they never rush through appointments.
- Friendly and professional. Most people see their physiotherapists on a regular basis, whether that’s for check-ups, exercises, or massages. Getting along with your physio makes the whole experience much more pleasant.
- Understanding. The best physios are compassionate and can understand the unique challenge you may face while recovering.
- Effective. Your physiotherapist may be qualified, passionate, and friendly, but if their recommendations and treatments aren’t effective, what’s the point?
Agree with our list? If there’s anything you’d add, let us know below.
The Top 5 Canberra Physiotherapists According to You
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Based in Dickson, they specialise in Sports Physiotherapy and Integrative Physiotherapy: the combination of the latest in scientific research and advanced manual therapy. The business is headed up by the highly qualified Phil Patton who uses a combination of the Integrated Systems Model (ISM), Visceral and Neural Manipulation, Lymph Drainage Therapy and movement based therapy. Phil uses a holistic approach that focuses on addressing the underlying reason for your condition, rather than just providing pain relief. Physio Connection also has extended opening hours and Saturday appointments. Health fund rebates are available.
Not only do Oli and his team offer physio services, but this clinic also provides massage, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, pilates and nutritional guidance. Supporting school teams to dance clubs and the Commonwealth Games team in 2018 their range of experience is hard to beat. Facebook reviewer Kat says: ‘Legitimately the BEST physios I’ve seen in my 15+ years of playing sport. I’ve never felt like I was in such good hands!’
In 2005 Suzie made the change from registered nurse to Physio and opened Powerhouse Physiotherapy in Lyneham. With a close knit team of physios specialising in injury prevention, orthopaedic & exercise rehabilitation, sports & remedial massage and injury management. Soft tissue therapy is also on offer is highly recommended to reduce recovery time. Facebook reviewer Shan says: ‘Quality service, with great customer service and extremely knowledgeable staff.’
“Practice manager Caroline leads her team of physios, massage therapists, dietitians, pilates and strength and conditioning instructors with a smile. That’s exactly how she’ll greet you on the phone or at reception and offers a high quality professional service. Google reviewer Freya says: ‘Awesome Physios, lovely and helpful receptionists, and wonderful facilities.’ “
Rebecca started Reboot Physio practice back in 2015 and has a clear focus on finding the cause of each patient’s symptoms. Bec, as she’s know to her clients, is born and bred in Canberra and offers a one hour initial consultation to really get to know your story and give a thorough assessment. Google reviewer Kate says: ‘Great results achieved by being treated by Rebecca. Online booking system works well and is easy to use.’
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra Physiotherapists.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based Physiotherapists? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?