It’s a fact: sports injuries and other physical discomforts can be a real pain to get over. Recovery can be particularly taxing if your discomfort prevents you from enjoying other aspects of your life, like work or social activities.
Whether you’re experiencing headaches, a sporting injury, knee pain or a complex illness like chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia, a physiotherapist may be able to improve your condition. A physiotherapist is a medical professional qualified to treat diseases, deformities and injuries through physical methodologies. These include exercises, massage and heat treatment.
But what qualities should you look for in a physiotherapist, and where can you find the best in Canberra?
Read on to find out.
What to look for when choosing a physiotherapist
As with any other type of health professional, physiotherapists have different backgrounds, personalities and areas of expertise. To find one that’s compatible with you and your needs, we recommend keeping an eye out for the following traits:
- Ability to listen and understand your condition. Every patient is unique. A tailored approach needs to start with the ability to listen to each patient. If you feel your concerns aren’t being taken seriously, or you aren’t being heard, consider working with a different practitioner.
- Holistic approach. From sprained ankles to chronic back pain, all conditions affect multiple body systems in different ways. Look for a physiotherapist that takes a holistic approach, assessing and treating every system in the body.
- Compassion. It’s no secret that ill health can make us feel vulnerable. Your physio should be empathetic and compassionate so that you feel supported.
- Expertise and qualifications. The best therapists are life-long learners. Finding a physio with up-to-date knowledge and qualifications is essential to ensuring you receive the best treatment possible.
- Experience. It takes many years of university training, on-the-job experience and professional development to become an effective therapist. Finding someone with appropriate experience will improve your outcome from treatment.
The best physiotherapists in Canberra – according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Dickson-based Physio Connection specialises in sports physiotherapy and integrative physiotherapy, which combines the latest in scientific research and advanced manual therapy.
Led by qualified physiotherapist Phil Patton, Physio Connection uses a combination of the integrated systems model, visceral and neural manipulation, lymph drainage therapy and movement-based therapy.
Phil’s holistic, therapeutic approach complements standard physiotherapy. He works with the body in a way that acknowledges the vast connections between all the systems. He is open-minded to all possibilities in order to achieve the best outcome.
Physio Connection offers extended opening hours and Saturday appointments. Health fund rebates are also available.
Here’s what client Sam had to say about his experience at Physio Connection on Google Reviews: “I was relieved to experience Phil’s integrated approach to healing and physio. I saw Phil was dedicated to, and passionate in, his work, and it came through in his service.”
KT Physiotherapy specialises in musculoskeletal physiotherapy (i.e. headaches, neck pain, back pain, pelvis pain) and women’s health physiotherapy (i.e. pre- and post-natal, pelvic floor issues, abdominal separation).
Based in Weston, KT Physiotherapy is run by qualified physiotherapist Kaitlyn Tandy. Kaitlyn’s approach involves looking at the person as a whole and attempting to identify underlying influences and causes to a presenting problem.
Here’s what happy customer Carly had to say about KT Physiotherapy on Google Reviews: “Kaitlyn is amazing, figured out my back pain was coming from my neck and pelvis. 5 sessions later and I’m pain free after years of back pain. You won’t regret going.”
Led by qualified physiotherapist Rebecca McRae, REBOOT Physiotherapy has a clear focus on finding the cause of each patient’s symptoms. All initial consultations are scheduled for one-hour so that there is plenty of time to share your story and for Rebecca to complete a thorough assessment and treatment.
Client Kate shared her experience at REBOOT Physiotherapy on Google Reviews: “Great results achieved by being treated by Rebecca. Online booking system works well and is easy to use.”
SportsTec Clinic is a multidisciplinary physiotherapy practice on the Kingston Foreshore that strives to provide the best patient experience, evidence-based treatment and optimal clinical outcomes. In addition to offering physiotherapy services, its team also provides massage, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, pilates and nutritional guidance.
Client Kat shared her experience with SportsTec Clinic in a Facebook review: “Legitimately the BEST physios I’ve seen in my 15+ years of playing sport. I’ve never felt like I was in such good hands!”