For some, a healthy body is achievable solely through diet and exercise. For many, medical intervention is necessary. From cosmetic surgery to help boost confidence and self-esteem, to medically-necessary procedures to repair injuries and get the body back to full function, plastic surgery offers an opportunity to get the body you want and need sooner rather than later.
Whatever your reason for choosing plastic surgery, you want to be sure that you’re in safe hands. Deciding to get plastic surgery, choosing a surgeon, experiencing the procedure, and recovery are all aspects of a significant journey. It is crucial that you receive support throughout this journey from an appropriately qualified and compassionate medical team.
So how do you start the process of choosing a plastic surgeon? We have come up with some key points to consider when making this important decision, as well as a guide to some of Canberra’s top-rated surgeons to help you through this process.
What makes a great plastic surgery clinic?
- Qualifications. There is some confusion in the public about the difference between a plastic surgeon and a cosmetic surgeon. A plastic surgeon has twelve years of training, while a cosmetic surgeon only has a medical degree. A plastic surgeon can perform both reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. Your plastic surgeon should have a Fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Board of Plastic Surgery, and should be a member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and/or the Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).
- Open and honest. You should feel comfortable that you understand what your procedure involves, and the results that you can expect. A Consent Form outlining the procedure should be made available to you. Be clear on what will happen in the recovery period, and any risks and complications that may arise.
- Compassion. Having surgery, or even a nonsurgical procedure, can make you feel vulnerable. Qualified and experienced doctors will be happy to answer any of your concerns with patience and regard for your feelings.
- No pressure. If you feel pressure at any time to undergo a procedure, take some time out to consider your options. It may be a good idea to get a second or third opinion. Special deals or limited-time offers are designed to increase pressure on the consumer, and are not an appropriate form of marketing for plastic surgery.
- Cost. Plastic surgery does not come cheap. Ensure you are aware of the total cost of the procedure including the anesthetist, aftercare services, and any specialist cosmetic products you may want to purchase as part of your post-operative care.
- Aftercare service. Complications may occur during recovery. You want to feel confident that you can contact your surgeon or a team member if you have any concerns post-surgery. A good surgeon is happy for you to contact them at any time after hours, if it is an emergency.
The best plastic surgery clinics in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
MD Cosmedical Solutions is a nation-wide plastic surgery company, with multiple five-star locations and one right here in Barton. Using only the most cutting-edge techniques and technology, the talented team at Cosmedical Solutions specialises in rejuvenating, anti-aging, medical and aesthetic treatments, offering an enormous range of procedures pertaining to the skin, the face, and the body.
Happy patient and ‘Local Guide’ Charlotte Dawson says in her Google review, “MD Cosmedical have worked wonders for my self-confidence. The treatments I received were surprisingly inexpensive and performed in a very pleasant and friendly setting.”
Cosmos Clinic believes in the organic creation of beauty. Through procedures that diminish or redistribute body fat, boost collagen production or establish muscle tone, among a wide range of non-surgical procedures, Cosmos is dedicated to working with your body, not against it. Backed by a team of highly qualified doctors with over 50 years’ experience, Cosmos Clinic is more than capable of giving you high quality results no matter the procedure.
Izi O’Mahoney left the following Google review for Cosmos Clinic, “Loving my results! Doctor Lee and team at Cosmos Canberra do amazing work. Made me feel so comfortable and helped me get my confidence back. Highly recommended.”
Dr Tony Tonks is a qualified plastic, cosmetic, reconstructive and hand surgeon. Along with his team of specialised nursing staff and support personnel, Dr. Tonks operates with the latest medical technology to provide considerate, respectful, dignified and personalised solutions for all of his patients, whatever the procedure.
As Google reviewer Nicole Montgomery writes, “Amazing team and one of the kindest most humble surgeons.”
Your experience with plastic surgery clinics in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you been to any of the plastic surgeries listed above? Share your thoughts and feedback below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is plastic surgery only cosmetic?
No! While plastic surgery is usually cosmetic, in that it is used to make aesthetic changes to the body, reconstructive surgery is performed when preexisting medical conditions have caused abnormal changes in the shape or appearance of the body.
Are their non-surgical cosmetic treatments?
Yes, there are a wide range of cosmetic procedures that don't require any surgery at all. These include microdermabrasion for treating acne and scarring, injectables such as fillers which can be a great alternative to rhinoplasty, and sclerotherapy to reduce the appearance of spider veins.
Is plastic surgery permanent?
While non-surgical procedures such as botox and fillers may fade over time, surgery is considered permanent - rhinoplasty, implants and facial augmentation are all forms of permanent plastic surgery.
Can plastic surgery help me lose weight?
There is no plastic surgery procedure that is a full substitute for weight loss, however liposuction and body-contouring can certainly help. Liposuction, while a fat-removal procedure, has not been shown to make a significant difference beyond a few months.
Is plastic surgery safe?
Plastic surgery is as safe as any surgical procedure. As long as you communicate properly with your surgeon about any allergies or preexisting conditions you might have, and are seen by a highly-qualified professional and receive adequate care after the operation, you shouldn't run into any issues associated with the surgery.