Skip to content Skip to main navigation

The Best Psychologists in Canberra

PsychSessions: Dr John Brown

Dr John Brown from PsychSessions is one of Canberra’s best psychologists. Photo: Region Media.

Whether you’re going through a particularly difficult time or simply need some emotional support and guidance, a qualified psychologist can make a world of difference.

A psychologist is a registered, university-trained professional with expertise in emotional wellbeing and human behaviour.

There is nothing shameful about seeking the services of a psychologist or admitting that you need help. A skilled psychologist will listen to your thoughts, feelings and life experiences and teach you practical coping strategies that can improve your life.

A psychologist is not the same as a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist has a medical degree and and can prescribe medication. Psychologists offer treatments that focus on changing behaviour and emotional responses without medication.

It is important to find a psychologist that you can trust. To help you with this process, we’ve compiled a list of the top psychologists in the Canberra region.

Let’s get started.

What type of psychologist do you need?

There are several different types of psychologists in Australia, including:

  • General psychologist: A general psychologist is trained and qualified to treat a range of psychiatric and mental health conditions. They have completed at least six years of university training and supervised experience.
  • Clinical psychologist: A clinical psychologist has completed additional specialised training compared to a general psychologist. They often treat more complex and specialised conditions.
  • Forensic psychologist: If you need a psychological assessment for court or any other legal purpose, you may need to see a forensic psychologist. A forensic psychologist has completed extra studies in forensic psychology.

Many psychologists and clinical psychologists have special areas of interest, training and experience in treating particular disorders. These might include eating disorders, sleeping disorders, working with children and adolescents, educational assessments, autism spectrum disorder or trauma.

So, in addition to finding a psychologist who you trust and feel comfortable with, you may also need to seek out a psychologist with experience managing the specific challenges you are facing.

Accessing Medicare benefits and private health rebates

If you would like your psychologist appointments to be covered by Medicare, you will need a referral from an appropriate medical practitioner (i.e. GP, psychiatrist or paediatrician) before booking your first appointment. Your medical practitioner will make an assessment that you need a psychologist before making the referral.

Once you have a referral you can see any psychologist who is registered with Medicare and has a Medicare Provider Number.

You can choose to claim benefits from your private health insurer instead. You can claim benefits from Medicare or your insurer, not both.

What makes a great psychologist?

A great psychologist can help you identify and overcome problems that negatively affect how you feel and/or impact your ability to function properly at work, home or in your private life.

To help make your search easier, we recommend keeping an eye out for the following traits:

  • Experience and qualifications. Look for a psychologist who is highly trained and uses well-researched methods that have been proven to work.
  • Convenience and affordability. Since therapy is usually an ongoing process, your psychologist should be easy, convenient and affordable for you to access regularly.
  • Expertise. Some psychologists choose to specialise in certain areas. You may like to work with a professional that has expertise in in an area relevant to you.
  • Compassion. At the end of the day, you will be sharing personal, sensitive information with your psychologist. You want them to respond with compassion and understanding, never judgement.
  • A customised approach. Psychologists often work with people in vulnerable positions. The best professionals understand each client’s unique needs so they can lead them towards recovery. This is something that takes more than just a degree in order to do well.

The top psychologists in Canberra – according to you

RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.

To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.



PsychSessions has provided assessments and psychological treatments for mental health conditions since 2005. Each of its 14 psychologists and general psychologists has a post-graduate university degree and has conducted university research, so they understand how to conduct, understand and apply research.

PsychSessions offers mental health services including therapy for depression, anxiety disorders, eating disorders (a multidisciplinary approach alongside dieticians and GPs), insomnia and sleep problems. It is also the only psychology service provider in Canberra that offers multidisciplinary insomnia assessment and treatment services in collaboration with Canberra Sleep Clinic.

Some of the most common reasons people access PsychSessions is for help with depression and/or anxiety – especially if symptoms have been going on for more than a few months, or having a significant impact on their ability to function at work or in their personal lives. This includes generalised anxiety, phobias, social anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

PsychSessions’ treatment approach focuses on relieving distress, restoring functioning, and preventing relapse.

City: Suite 4, 10th Floor, AMP Building, 1 Hobart Place, Canberra City ACT

Deakin: Ground Floor, Building 2, Equinox Business Park, 70 Kent Street, Deakin ACT

The Canberra Psychology Centre for Children and Families

The Canberra Psychology Centre for Children and Families (CPCCF) provides psychological services from the antenatal period through to young adulthood, as well as therapy for parents, families and adults. If you need support for behaviour or parenting issues or child mental health, CPCCF’s team of psychologists (led by clinical psychologist Jo Richardson), could be the right choice for you.

CPCCF has two central locations: Acton and Braddon. Both offer services for children, adolescents and their families, including therapy for ADHD and autism, and IQ testing.

Capital Psychology Clinic

Capital Psychology Clinic provides best practice, evidenced-based psychological services to children and families in the Canberra region. Located in Garran, its 13 clinical and general psychologists have a variety of clinical expertise and can conduct both therapy and assessments (i.e. autism assessments, ADHD assessments and behavioural & developmental assessments).

While Capital Psychology Clinic specialises in child and family psychology, you can access support and counselling at any stage of life. Areas of expertise include children and adolescents, perinatal support, eating disorders and adult counselling.

iPsych Solutions

iPsych Solutions provides clinical psychological therapy and treatment for mental health conditions including anger management, anxiety, ADHD, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder. Led by clinical psychologist Mark Scarborough from his home-based practice in Wanniassa, iPsych Solutions has a special interest in working with clients on the autism spectrum.

During school terms Mark also runs social clubs, workshops and activities for young people. These range from happiness and wellbeing workshops to mountain biking activities.

Top Psychology

Conveniently located on Marcus Clarke Street in Civic, Top Psychology can help with challenges ranging from depression and anxiety to grief and loss, workplace issues and stress. If you’d just like to become more confident and improve your communication and assertiveness, its team can provide strategies for those too.

Top Psychology is run by clinical psychologist Randolph Sparks, who offers therapies including cognitive behaviour therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, pain management, preventing relapse of depression and positive psychology.

Your experience with psychologists in Canberra

Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.

Have you had experience with any of the psychologists listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
29 Responses to The Best Psychologists in Canberra
realityskin realityskin 9:01 am 29 Sep 10

James Squire

mp2615 mp2615 9:18 am 29 Sep 10

FWIW, I would suggest consulting a GP first. They can probably recommend someone plus help with medication if needed.

Funnybone are in Lyneham:

Phone/Fax: (02) 6230 6022 Email:

Good luck with it, at least the weather is improving.

Sammy Sammy 10:06 am 29 Sep 10

Professional Psychology Services in Woden are, as their name suggests, professional.

Highly recommended. John Mitchell helped me after many years of seeing different, and mostly useless, psychologists.

Diggety Diggety 10:20 am 29 Sep 10


I-filed I-filed 11:09 am 29 Sep 10

Funnybone is a self-proclaimed recovering heroin addict who seems to be off and on energy-wise and adopted a strange, zany self-absorbed marketing campaign a few years ago. I’m not sure that I’d go there other than for recovery issues …

missme missme 11:26 am 29 Sep 10

A good place to start is Lifeline 13 11 14 and they have details of other services also

Wide Boy Jake Wide Boy Jake 11:44 am 29 Sep 10

For goodness sakes stay away from Dr Rajiv Gupta from the Woden Mental Health Service. He has a notorious reputation and has been linked to at least five suicides. I was unfortunate enough to deal with him after I was discharged from the psych ward a few years ago and he tried to get my Disability Support Pension cut off. A very nasty character indeed and it’s a complete mystery why he’s still on the ACT government payroll.

Inappropriate Inappropriate 12:35 pm 29 Sep 10

Be wary of GPs and psychiatrists – they’ll probably just throw pills at you (namely antidepressants).

As someone who was on ADs for a few years, you should consider ADs as a last resort.

farq farq 12:45 pm 29 Sep 10

mp2615 said :

FWIW, I would suggest consulting a GP first. They can probably recommend someone plus help with medication if needed.

Funnybone are in Lyneham:

Phone/Fax: (02) 6230 6022 Email:

Good luck with it, at least the weather is improving.

Ah funnybone is classic. Heard many funny/crazy stories about the lady running it.

jennybel75 jennybel75 1:17 pm 29 Sep 10

Does your workplace have an employee assistance program? All PS Departmentsd do. Otherwise, have you considered a counsellor rather than a psychiatrist/ psychologist?

Lillypilly Lillypilly 1:46 pm 29 Sep 10

Dr Aldridge who works out of Deakin Chambers is very good, compassionate and understanding.

Katietonia Katietonia 2:21 pm 29 Sep 10
Jeannie Higgins is great.

You might need a referral though, if your GP refers you get them to do a mental health check first and you can get rebates on medicare for some of the visits (not sure how many).

liability liability 2:51 pm 29 Sep 10

It’s a pity that the ACT Medical Board, or its replacement, AHPRA, don’t publish the names of medical professionals that are found guilty of misconduct.

You would be surprised at home many medical professionals there are out there that have major problems, such as drug addition, mental disorders, etc, not to mention those that have been found guilty of inappropriate behavior towards patients, medical negligence etc.

Many of these are still allowed to practice with only minor restrictions placed on them.

Unfortunately we will never know who these medical professionals are, as their names are normally surpressed.

I would suggest that anyone looking for a new medical professional ask them or the practice manager if they have ever been subject to any proceedings before AHPRA [or its predecessors] or if there have been any restrictions placed on them by AHPRA.

WillowJim WillowJim 3:08 pm 29 Sep 10

Inappropriate said :

Be wary of GPs and psychiatrists – they’ll probably just throw pills at you (namely antidepressants).

Rubbish, it depends entirely on the doctor. And, for some forms of depression, medication is the best therapy.

Also, I believe it’s easiest to obtain a Medicare rebate for a psychologists’ fees after you have been referred by a GP.

pajumist pajumist 4:00 pm 29 Sep 10

I had a less than inspiring experience with my employers EAP provider, absolutely useless and I provided feedback to that effect.

I can highly recommend Jacqui from JMA Psychology, she was recommended to us and has worked wonders for how we visualise and deal with various issues. Absolutely lovely woman to talk to as well.

pibloktoq pibloktoq 5:44 pm 29 Sep 10

Hi Solstice68,

I’d agree with previous commenters that the first place you might want to start is with your GP to obtain a Mental Health Care Plan. This entitles you to at least 6 (but possibly 12 or even 18) sessions with a Medicare-registered psychologist. Medicare will pay the scheduled fee and you will need to pay a smallish gap, if any.

It’s worth checking the Australian Psychological Society’s ‘Find a Psychologist’ service (, which will help you find someone close to you who is appropriate to your needs. While your GP should have a standard (small) list of referrals, it’s good to inform yourself of other excellent psychologists out there.

Going via your GP allows her/him to work together with your psychologist to ensure that treatment is effective. Good communication between professionals is very important. Your GP, for example, should do an examination to rule out some some physical causes of low mood or depression. A GP can also prescribe medication if necessary with input from the psychologist. Finding a private psychiatrist can be quite difficult and expensive in Canberra, and may not be the most effective way to address your current presenting problems.

EAP providers can be helpful but are generally limited to a maximum of 3 sessions, which is often insufficient. It may be a helpful (and free) starting point with opportunities for referral for more specialised interventions.

If money is an issue, then the ANU and UC Psychology Clinics ( and offer evidence-based therapy by provisional psychologists under supervision. The standard of care is excellent and fees are minimal and often negotiable. ANU charges around $20 per session last time I checked.

There is extremely strong evidence that for depression, therapy with a trained psychologist (typically cognitive-behavioural therapy or interpersonal psychotherapy) is much more effective and long-lasting than medication. In particular, interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT) particularly targets how aspects of relationships and communication which may be contributing to depression. Medication may be helpful for certain people at certain times, but should not be seen as a solution in itself in most cases.

The BeyondBlue website ( has excellent factsheets and information about where to seek help, what to expect from therapy as well are more information about depression and other problems in various contexts.

Finally, if you’re feeling unsafe (if you are having thoughts of suicide or of hurting yourself or others), immediate 24-hour support and help is available via Lifeline (13 11 14) or Mental Health ACT’s Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team (1800 629 354). Note that these are crisis services rather than general referral/information sources.

Good luck with everything!

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 6:02 pm 29 Sep 10

+1 to everything pibloktoq said. Although, if you feel you want to see a psychologist after seeing your GP try and get an appointment with Susan Pellingaris in Phillip. I highly recommend her especially given the issues you mentioned in your OP.

Best wishes!

troll-sniffer troll-sniffer 8:42 pm 29 Sep 10

While we’re here can I spruik my Reiki healing powers, guaranteed to outperform any degree and science based treatment or half your money back after a qualifying period subject to conditions on the reverse of this web page.

Dr Strange Dr Strange 8:56 pm 29 Sep 10

+2 to everything pibloktoq said. I can recommend Vanessa Hamilton in Woden. It’s a tough road so good luck solstice68.

cleo cleo 10:19 pm 29 Sep 10

Do we have a forensic psychiatrist here in Canberra.

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | | | |

Search across the site