Saunas have become an incredibly popular way for people to unwind, sweating out stress and muscle pain. Whether it’s part of your exercise routine, the last stop in a spa treatment, or a simple leisure activity, visiting a sauna can be a fantastic way to take care of yourself in ways you might not otherwise be able to.
If you’re interested in visiting a sauna, it’s important to know the difference between the good and the great. That’s why we’ve put together this article – we’ll tell you about what makes a great sauna experience, and give you a handy guide to some of the best venues in Canberra.
What makes a great sauna?
Not all saunas are relaxing and detoxifying. In fact, many can be uncomfortable, unclean, and overly suffocating. Here are a few of the traits you should look for in the best saunas in Canberra.
- Cleanliness. First and foremost, the sauna you attend must be clean. There is nothing more disgusting than an unhygienic spa experience, so make sure cleanliness is your number one priority.
- The right temperature. Just like Goldilocks’s porridge, the sauna you attend should be not too hot and not too cold, but just right. Too hot, and you could begin to feel light-headed. Too cool, and you may not reap the many benefits of heating the body.
- A relaxing atmosphere. There’s no point in taking time out to rest and relax if the atmosphere isn’t quite right. You don’t want anything too clinical, awkward, or careless. Instead, you want absolute relaxation – inspiring décor, music, and aromatherapy add to the spa-like atmosphere of Canberra’s best saunas.
- Comfortable. Uneven tiles, hard edges, and other uncomfortable features can make it difficult to enjoy your sauna experience. Look for a sauna that puts their customers’ comfort first.
- Other facilities and treatments available. While a sauna is fantastic, before and after it can be nice to indulge in other treatments and facilities. Many spas offer saunas alongside their massage therapy, plunge pools, manicure and pedicure services, and more.
The best saunas in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
SportsTec Clinic is a multidisciplinary physiotherapy practice that strives to provide the best patient experience, evidence-based treatment and optimal clinical outcomes. As part of their hydrotherapy treatments and facilities, which are all deigned to provide remedial services to all kinds of clients, SportsTec has saunas and steam rooms available to help you on your health and wellbeing journey.
See what Dilys Brown had to say about their experience in this Facebook review, “Fantastic, very well organised, we have always had good advice and help with injury’s. Thanks to all the staff.”
Authentix believes that when we look good we feel good, and when we feel good we look good – and so, with beauty therapy and colonic therapy packages available, Authentix is dedicated to helping you feel like your best self. Authentix has an infrared sauna experiences available for those just trying it out, as well as offering it in conjunction with their colon hydrotherapy to help in full detoxification of the body.
Google reviewer Petra Jungmanova says, “Simply perfection from the personal service and connection to my experience. I felt very nurtured. Thank you for being awesome.”
Enliven Infrared Saunas is Canberra’s first and only dedicated infrared sauna studio. Unlike traditional dry or steam saunas, infrared saunas heat your body up from the inside rather than the air around you. At Enliven, you are able to book casual sessions, or a pack of up to 10 sessions if you’d like to take full advantage of the health benefits of infrared saunas!
Facebook user Ali Simmons wrote the following review for Enliven, “What a fantastic place to relax and enjoy the benefits of having an Infrared sauna. Looking forward to my next visit.”
Rest & Recovery Centre is a place to come to recover, recuperate and revive your body to be at the best level it can be to improve your everyday life, with a range of services to suit anyone at any level of fitness. As part of their remedial therapies, Rest & Recovery has infrared sauna facilities to supplement their other treatments – you can purchase sessions casually or in packs of up to 10 visits!
‘Local Guide’ Peter Cook writes in their Google review, “A relaxed atmosphere to unwind. It has all the facilities you’d expect, as advertised, and all the usual comforts.”
Hale Day Spa is one of Canberra’s most luxurious wellness destinations, offering a sanctuary for the mind and body with their range of treatments. Their saunas and steam rooms are geared toward extracting impurities while relaxing your muscles and promoting recovery, whether you’ve just finished up a deep tissue massage or a remedial therapy session.
As Google reviewer Janet Williams writes, “I had a massage at Hale Spa and was incredibly impressed. The spa has beautiful facilities and well-trained staff. It was the most luxurious experience I have had at a spa in Canberra. I will be back soon.”
A trip to the sauna can be an amazing way to unwind, but it’s just one of many therapeutic options available to you here in Canberra. Check out our articles on the best Thai massage salons, the best acupuncturists and the best day spas in town for some more ways to take a break and look after your body.
Your experience with saunas in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the saunas listed above? Have we missed your favourite? If so, please share your feedback in the comments below!