When it’s time to relax, unwind, and detox, what better place to go than a hot and steamy sauna?
Saunas raise the superficial temperature of the body, causing you to sweat profusely. This process helps to flush out toxins and encourages you to drink more water – which is always a good thing for staying healthy.
What’s more, the time you spend in the sauna resting is almost like a meditation, and can do wonders for your mental health.
If you’re looking for a sauna in the Canberra region, you’ve landed in the right place. After consulting our readers’ feedback, we’ve put together this list of the best local saunas. Let’s get right to it.
What Makes a Fantastic Sauna?
Not all saunas are relaxing and detoxifying. In fact, many can be uncomfortable, unclean, and overly suffocating.
Here are a few of the traits you should look for in the best saunas in Canberra.
- Cleanliness. First and foremost, the sauna you attend must be clean. There is nothing more disgusting than an unhygienic spa experience, so make sure cleanliness is your number one priority.
- The right temperature. Just like Goldilocks’s porridge, the sauna you attend should be not too hot and not too cold, but just right. Too hot, and you could begin to feel light-headed. Too cool, and you may not reap the many benefits of heating the body.
- A relaxing atmosphere. There’s no point in taking time out to rest and relax if the atmosphere isn’t quite right. You don’t want anything too clinical, awkward, or careless. Instead, you want absolute relaxation – inspiring décor, music, and aromatherapy add to the spa-like atmosphere of Canberra’s best saunas.
- Comfortable. Uneven tiles, hard edges, and other uncomfortable features can make it difficult to enjoy your sauna experience. Look for a sauna that puts their customers’ comfort first.
- Other facilities and treatments available. While a sauna is fantastic, before and after it can be nice to indulge in other treatments and facilities. Many spas offer saunas alongside their massage therapy, plunge pools, manicure and pedicure services, and more.
Agree with our list? Do you have any traits to add?
The Top Three Saunas in Canberra According to You
After reading through our readers’ feedback, we’ve come up with this list of the top three saunas in the Canberra region.
1. Foot & Thai
A number-one pick for our readers, Foot & Thai was established in early 2008, and has since gained a loyal following.
Situated in Belconnen and Phillip, Foot & Thai is home to a number of experienced therapists that perform a range of specialist massages, including traditional Thai massage, remedial, Swedish, sports, prenatal, deep tissue, and more.
Foot & Thai offers separate saunas for men and women, and complimentary 30-minute sessions with all 45-minute or longer massages. Open from 10am to 10pm and with towels for hire, this comfortable, clean sauna is a convenient place to relax.
Here’s what one of our readers, Pommy bastard, had to say: “You get a free sauna following a (paid for) massage at “Foot and Thai”, highly recommended.”
2. The Australian Institute of Sport
If you are looking for a sauna experience designed to treat injuries and discomforts, make use of Canberra’s state-of-the-art facilities at the Australian Institute of Sport.
Alongside their offerings to elite athletes, many of the services are open to the general public, including the sauna.
One of our readers, singtingn, has used the sauna before. “The AIS has a good sauna, spa, and plunge pool,” they wrote.
3. Mudd The Spa
For the ultimate in relaxation, head to Mudd The Spa. Offering five relaxation suits for individuals or couples, treat yourself to an exciting range of body, health, and wellness treatments.
Customers of Mudd The Spa have access to the facilities at Evo Health Club, including an indoor pool, hydrotherapy spa, and fully-equipped sauna.
Your Experience with Saunas in Canberra
Have you attended a sauna in Canberra? Share your experience with us in the comments area below.