For many businesses, a serviced office is the ideal solution. A flexible, serviced workspace can offer a number of financial advantages. Not needing to budget for fit-out, set-up costs or capital expenditure, as well as avoiding dilapidation costs can save you and your business a significant amount of money! So, if you need a workspace that is flexible, affordable and attractive, then you should definitely consider a serviced office space.
Serviced offices – also known as managed offices, business centres, executive centres, and executive suites – are office spaces that are fully equipped and managed by a service provider. All furniture, kitchen facilities, and other office essentials are supplied and maintained by the service provider, taking the stress and expense out of setting up your business’s office space.
If you’re looking to invest in a serviced office space for your business, it’s important that you do plenty of research beforehand to be sure that you’re making the best decision for you and your team. That’s why we’ve put together this article, with a list of the most important things to keep in mind when looking for a serviced office space, as well as a breakdown to some of the best providers in Canberra.
What makes a great serviced office?
Any significant business decision requires a lot of thought and research. Here’s a few things that should be on the top of your list when looking for a great serviced office:
- Location. The location of any serviced office space should most certainly be a key factor in your decision-making process. It will determine the time you spend on transport any day or time of the day you want to get to your new office space, but it even goes beyond that. What’s around the area? Cafes, parking options, and proximity to town centres will add to the value and enjoyment of the office space.
- Budget. This is an absolute key factor in choosing a serviced office space. What is the right amount? When starting up a new business, there are a lot of investments involved. You definitely want to keep your expenses to a bare minimum level. Even if you have an established clientele, excessive spending on your office space might not be the best strategy – on the other hand, your business might be the kind to regularly host your clients at the office space, in which case you’ll want to impress! Make sure you select the best space for both your budget and your vision.
- Amenities. The serviced office space should have all major amenities that one expects from their workplace. This can include maintenance, IT support, power backup, air conditioning, furniture or even a stocked kitchen. When you’re shopping around, take some time to compare your options based on what amenities you think will encourage efficiency and comfort for you and your team.
- Flexibility. When looking for a serviced office space, it is important to understand how flexible the place is in terms of timings and future expansions. Your team might grow significantly, and the workspace you’ve hired should be able to easily cater to these changes. Your workspace should also be available to use not only during working hours, but also on any other when you might decide to go into work.
- Other users. While choosing a space, it’s worthwhile to check out the list of tenants that are occupying the space. If you are a freelancer and are looking for networking opportunities, choosing a serviced office space that has professionals from various work domains can open up many doors for meeting other like-minded workers. If your serviced office allows a trial period, make sure you meet the tenants and see if you are able to connect with them. Nothing is better than working in a jovial environment with passionate people.
The best serviced offices in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
First established in 2019, JAGA Workspaces is all about creating an environment that helps people focus on building an idea in a fashionably and functionally designed workspace – the kind that truly highlights Canberra’s move from small town to cool capital.
JAGA understands that there is no one size fits all to the perfect office space, so whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, a team leader or a freelancer JAGA has the perfect space for you and your team. With private offices, bespoke workspaces, virtual offices and meeting rooms available, plus hot desks for a casual drop-in, there really is something for everyone here.
JAGA’s Award winning workspace provides businesses, government agencies and consultants with a flexible platform to customise the office space they need. They also provide break out spaces, eye-catching meeting rooms and a yoga/wellbeing studio!
JAGA’s business centre boasts advanced tech, such as highly secure access points for wi-fi and cloud-based hardware locks, which can be operated from your smartphone. JAGA’s interactive website and mobile app make it easy to book and manage your memberships, all of which are priced at affordable rates.
Tracy Hebden recently moved into a JAGA workspace, and left the following review on Google, “As a small business owner who needed a beautiful and functional space for client meetings, office space to get work done and to meet other amazing business owners, JAGA provided all this. Including a warm welcome and great support in getting set up.”
Whether you need an office space for one person, a whole team, one day, or five years, Regus Canberra has a serviced office solution for you. Their flexible, cost-effective services give you the freedom you need to sustain your business. With a number of pay-as-you-go options available – including part-time, day, and long-term plans – Regus’s centrally located, modern office spaces are some of the best in Canberra.
As Google reviewer Caroline Barraclough writes, “Our company has been a tenant of Regus Canberra for over 12 months now, and I have found the staff to always be extremely helpful and friendly. Great location with good size office space. Facilities are always clean and organised.”
WOTSO has several locations across Canberra, meaning that no matter where you are based there is a building near you. WOTSO offers hot desk, permanent desk, and large serviced office options on month-to-month terms. The large, serviced office amenities include kitchens, breakout and meeting rooms, and reception services, as well as mail and concierge services, 24/7 secure access, and bike storage.
On Google, Gina Anderson writes, “Not only is this a wonderful and modern workspace but the team that look after the building are exemplary in the customer service that they provide. (…) Great place, great team, would always recommend.”
Victory Offices provides an abundance of flexible working solutions and cutting-edge amenities to ensure that you and your business succeeds. Whether you’re looking for your own private office or working in a collaborative coworking environment with like-minded business professionals, Victory Offices is here to enable your success. Their services and amenities include daily cleaning, onsite reception and support staff, and fully furnished suites.
Stassi C writes on Google, “Amazing staff and great experience. The offices are also very spacious and beautiful!”
Located conveniently in the Nishi Building in New Acton, Servcorp’s services offices offer convenience and comfort for anyone hoping to move their business here. Servcorp boasts spectacular views over Lake Burley Griffin, a complex that includes a gym, yoga studios, café and underground parking, and the space itself features hot and dedicated desks, boardrooms, meeting rooms and exclusive pantries.
As Ross King writes in their Google review, “I have had the pleasure of working in our Servcorp Serviced Office for 3yrs and never want to leave. (…) Being surrounded by such a capable team to help me in my business, makes my job not only easier but more enjoyable.”
There’s a lot that goes into properly managing and maintaining an office space. Check out our articles on the best office & commercial cleaning businesses and the best managed information technology (I.T.) support services in Canberra for some helpful guides and recommendations to help get you started.
Your experience with serviced offices in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the serviced offices listed above? Have we missed yours? If so, please share your feedback in the comments below!